1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Make 'Er Shine - '82 F100 Build

Old 09-26-2012, 06:09 PM
LouisianaKid
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Make 'Er Shine - '82 F100 Build

Hey yall,
I've been in and out of here for awhile, more than long enough to see what a great place it is. I figured that with everything I've been doing to 'er recently, it would be easier if I just started a single thread on my ole girl, so that's what this is! First off I'll reintroduce myself. I'm from a lil town in Louisiana that I know yall ain't never heard of so I won't even try. I work at a BBQ restraunt in town and I'm on the volunteer fire department, taking classes in criminal justice online. But that's enough about me...now for my truck! She's a 1982 F100 2wd that I got off a friend of mine last year, she got sidelined by a cracked head not too long after that but I was finally able to get that set straight about a month ago and we've been running ever since. Aside from the head there's been no major problems, had to rebuild the carb once and replace the fuel pump, some lines, etc etc. I've got a bunch of small things on my punch list, some of em are:
* replace weatherstripping and door bushings
* install new radio and speakers
* paint or replace wheels (just got 2 new tires, getting 2 more next payday)
* put on a new muffler
* replace shocks
* sunpro gauge set
* and much more!
To be honest I think most of my plans fall into the "miscellaneous" section but they're plans. I love these old trucks, and especially this one of mine. I'm not super interested in resale value or nothing so I'm gonna make this truck really "mine", keep what I want original, update some stuff, a never ending work in progress almost. I'll start work on posting some pictures later tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for all yalls help so far and I look forward to sharing my progress with yall!

Old 09-26-2012, 07:19 PM
81ChopTop
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like you've got a good hold on your "miscellaneous" upgrades and fixes. Good to hear that you are going to make it "your own". I know too many people around here that are sooo worried about resale value and they don't even have any plans on selling. Why not make it into what you want?

If you haven't guessed, I'm more into resto-mods than straight restorations, even though they're still great.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:42 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Yes, pictures would be good.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:48 AM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Are you located near the "Red Stick" city?

"Leses le bon temps roule"!

Old 09-28-2012, 08:01 PM
LouisianaKid
Freshman User
Thank ya'll. Ok so today I finally managed to snap a few pics before it started raining. Don't worry though cause I'ma take some more and better ones later. Hopefully I post these up right...

ok, so if it shows up this is a picture of my inside (pardon the mess, I had just gotten off of work). I haven't done alot to the interior other than stick in a lil' temporary radio until I get a chance to put in my good set up. Eventually Ima do something to try and turn the flooring back black, prolly just take a scrub brush to it all and clean it up real good I'm thinking. I've got a set of sunpro gauges to put in, and I need to add in some emergency lights and probably a CB eventually. Got to add some elastic to hold my seat cover on better, or maybe even a different cover. All in due time...

that should be my bed. I just recently replaced the retainer clips so my tailgate finally works again!! I also put in the toolbox and I'm playing with the idea of putting a frame underneath it to have some kind of second storage spot, key word is "playing" not real sure yet. Gonna do a bed liner eventually. I'm also not sure if I want to put a graphic on my back window or maybe swap it out for a sliding one...

last pic of the day, with prolly the most information. As I said I just fixed my tailgate and also just got them rear tires. Getting a new set for up front next payday. I eventually might get some new wheels but until then I'll prolly just paint mine white, I think the solid white around the dog dishes like it's spoze to be will look real sharp. After I get the new tires, suspension wise I prolly should replace my shocks, she rides real rough. Thinking about swapping out my tail lights for some of them vintage looking circular ones and adding one of them tailgate light sets at the bottom. Top it all off with a nice re-paint and that about does it for all of my ideas for her...for now. Like I said, alot of them are just ideas and "maybes", but I figure I'll just do like Johnny Cash and take it "one piece at a time". Next episode should be my engine! Ya'll stay tuned

Old 09-28-2012, 08:03 PM
LouisianaKid
Freshman User
Oh and 86f150, I'm actually about 2 hours north of that ole red stick. If you ever watch "Cajun Pawn Stars" on the History Channel, I'm about 30 minutes from there and...well 30 minutes from everywhere really!

Old 09-28-2012, 09:07 PM
FORD COASTIE
Supporter of Patriotism
Received 2,358 Likes on 1,706 Posts
What part of LA are you from? I'm from Lafayette. Nice looking I'd truck you have there!

Old 09-28-2012, 09:18 PM
LouisianaKid
Freshman User
Thanks Coastie! And I'm from Rapides Parish, about 30 mins. from Alexandria. Actually about smack dab in the middle of there and Marksville

Old 09-28-2012, 10:38 PM
first today
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Truck looks very nice.

I used to go to Alexandria and Pineville on the weekends, years ago. I grew up in Ascension Parish, but I now live in the big city of the Saints.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:14 PM
FORD COASTIE
Supporter of Patriotism
Received 2,358 Likes on 1,706 Posts
I have some family in Glenmora, so I know where you are talking about.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:23 PM
LouisianaKid
Freshman User
I never knew there was so many of us Louisiana folks here, haha. Been busy the past couple of days so I ain't had the time to do much, but I always wanted one...so I finally caved and ordered a dixie horn to put on my truck!Its spoze to come in Monday, so first chance I get I'll be putting it in there, I'll let yall know!

Old 10-13-2012, 12:32 PM
LouisianaKid
Freshman User
Ok ya'll! I finally had some free time to get some work done. I got my horn in! It's not quite completely "there" like I want it. Gotta figure out a better way to mount it, shorten the wire and maybe up the wire gauge too, mainly asthetic stuff to keep my engine compartment tidey. But for now it's in there, it works, and I love it! Here are some pics and I'm gonna try to post a video too...

Horn Buttom

compressor and horns

connection to my batter and in-line fuse

NOTE: I made that video when I was still installing it and test ran it, it now works via the button up above.

But yes! So another small project is done. Up next I will probably be installing these

Im wire the gauge lights from the radio's backlight wire, it's already dimmable and activated when my lights come on! Mainly putting the lighter plug in so I'll be able to run my FD lights later on. Annndddd just to top off the pics...here's the radio setup I'm just waiting to put in..

I'm considering bumping it up with an amp or some of that fanshy stuff, but I gotta get with something that knows what they're doing with all that before I decide. But yep! That's where she stands now, stay tuned and thanks for all yalls help!

Old 10-14-2012, 04:28 PM
1983F1503004x4
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just a tip, but, put a hoop style connector on the end of your power wire for your horns and run the wire to the battery side of the solenoid instead of straight onto the post. It'll look much cleaner.

I've got that speaker box mounted behind the seat of my truck (takes up a good bit of room, but not too much). It overpowers the door speakers easily. No need for an amp. It could be because of the fact that the PO put in an aftermarket stereo in my truck too, but I don't think so. Also, it has very good sound quality.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:31 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by 1983F1503004x4
Just a tip, but, put a hoop style connector on the end of your power wire for your horns and run the wire to the battery side of the solenoid instead of straight onto the post. It'll look much cleaner.
Amen! Not only will it look cleaner, but it will stay much cleaner and work far longer. It won't be long before the wire stuck between the post and the connector corrodes and the connection will be gone. Do it as suggested and it'll last a long time.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:00 PM
LouisianaKid
Freshman User
Roger that ya'll! Thanks for the advice, I I think I've got some of those hoops in my wiring kit, I'll have to look and set 'em up real soon. And 83F150 thanks for letting me know, very happy to know I'll have a good sounding speaker set up

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Make 'Er Shine - '82 F100 Build