6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

'03 EGR Cooler... vital to replace or no?

Old 09-24-2012, 10:44 PM
davbeisner
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'03 EGR Cooler... vital to replace or no?

Ok, so I'm pretty sure I've got a stopped up oil cooler... I'm diving in next week most likely to replace that. I've got an '03 so the old round style EGR Cooler... I really would like to NOT have to pay for a new EGR Cooler, but if it's still really worth replacing, I want to do it while I'm already inside the engine... So, thoughts. Is it really worth the extra money for the bulletproof EGR Cooler when I have the round style already? I'm not really interested in doing a delete... don't understand the reason to do so (except that I love pissing off the EPA! ) so that part of the bulletproof cooler wouldn't really do me any good.

If I'm not likely to ever have to replace it, then I won't bother spending money on it right now. I really need to conserve as much as I can on this job, so I'm just wanting to do the basics... won't ever do a tune on this, so not planning on doing studs, either. I'll pop for the blue spring and the t-stat while I'm at the oil cooler, and I'll probably also install a coolant filter.

Thanks!

Old 09-24-2012, 11:18 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
Dave your OEM Round EGR Cooler the Guts in it are the same as the Upgraded Bullet Proof Diesel One

Its the square ones that SUCK

When you pull the EGR Valve look for wetness in the chamber it should be DRY

You can also Pressure test it on a Bucket of Watter with air compressor

The round ones Rarly Fail with Plugged Oil Cooler they rarly fail Period your is probably Good

any Smoke??????

The Reason for a EGR Deleate is to Stop Recycling SOOT Back Into the engine its Hard on everything you will see the sensors and intake manafold will be Caked with Soot It gets More Soot in the Oil

I gained 1mpg witha EGR DEleate there is NO GAIN from recycling SPENT Exhaust Gas back into the cylinders

You get the Best Combustion (BANG) with Clean Fresh COLD AIR
HOT GREASY Dirty Spent Exhaust Gas has no benifit

Old 09-25-2012, 04:34 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,449 Likes on 1,696 Posts
I asked three well respected Techs (actually one is an Ex-Tech ) and the failure rate is so low on those early coolers that it isn't worth worrying about IMO.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:16 AM
davbeisner
Elder User
Sweet, that's what I was hoping to.hear, thanks... Don't suppose anyone could Give directions for deleting this one instead of buying a delete?

Old 09-25-2012, 09:12 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
On an '03 we ran a 20-30* split for over a year before replacing the oil cooler, the EGR cooler has been flawless since the oil cooler replacement.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:52 AM
davbeisner
Elder User
Cool... And Benny, there is a bit of white smoke at startup when cold, but my mechanic verifies its from unburned fuel, not coolant.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:41 AM
mhatlen
2006 Bullet-Riddled 6.0

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Coolant level stays the same? As long as your not adding coolant your good.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:51 PM
davbeisner
Elder User
Yep... coolant level never changes.

I'm a little unsure about whether or not i actually have to change it at this point. Living at 7500 feet up in the Rockies, it's pretty much impossible to get the driving conditions required by the TSB for determining Deltas. Today my spread went as high as 25, but only while I was pulling hills at 70 (empty) the rest of the time it stayed down nice and low...

Old 09-25-2012, 07:18 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Ya I wouldnt worrey about a Small Puff of white Smoke at Startup Mine does it to when cold I think they all do

I was just wondering about a steady stream of smoke but that dont sound like the case Here

as far as a EGR Deleate
some guys weld the EGR Cooler at each end must be TIG Welded
some just put a Blocker Plate but I think you need the J-Pipe with this
some just push Freeze plug in this one is easy to do
Some shut the EGR Valvwe off with a SCT Tunner and custom tune

Pick your Poision A egr system works on a Gasser not so good on a Diesel

Old 09-25-2012, 07:56 PM
davbeisner
Elder User
Cool, thanks... What's required to route the gasses and coolant around the blocked cooler?

Old 09-25-2012, 08:34 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Originally Posted by davbeisner
Cool, thanks... What's required to route the gasses and coolant around the blocked cooler?

Depends what way you go

Basicaly the EGR Cooler has 4 Ports

In and Out ports for the Exhaust Gas
&
In and Out Ports for the Coolant

Since you have the round Basicaly Bullet Proof EGR Cooler I suggested to just install Freeze Plugs in Both Exhaust Ports to Block the EGR Return But still use the Cooler for a Coolant path PLUS it looks Stock

Theres alot of options but Year and OEM EGR Cooler type Kinda Dictate how you go about it

Old 09-25-2012, 08:41 PM
davbeisner
Elder User
Gotcha... Will I have an issue with the exhaust building up pressure, or will it freely move through a different return?

Old 09-25-2012, 08:50 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Originally Posted by davbeisner
Gotcha... Will I have an issue with the exhaust building up pressure, or will it freely move through a different return?

No it just wont recycle the exhaust back to the cylinders no buildup

It just lets Small amounts of exhaust back into the intake manafold with a working EGR System

Most the exhaust goes from exhaust manafold up to Turbo to spin the Turbin wheel and then Exits out turbo and then out the TailPipe

Old 09-25-2012, 09:15 PM
abealex
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate to be 'that guy', but since you asked for thoughts...
If I was going in that deep on a 9 year old motor, and removing the cooler anyway, I think I would change it. You'd hate to do it again. May cost a little more, but you would enjoy a little peace of mind later on.
I have a 2004 with the '03 motor & round cooler. At 70,000 miles, my cooler let go. I ended up changing everything I touched on the way in... Did hg's and studs as well as having the heads checked while they were out.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:51 AM
mhatlen
2006 Bullet-Riddled 6.0

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by abealex
I hate to be 'that guy', but since you asked for thoughts...
If I was going in that deep on a 9 year old motor, and removing the cooler anyway, I think I would change it. You'd hate to do it again. May cost a little more, but you would enjoy a little peace of mind later on.
I have a 2004 with the '03 motor & round cooler. At 70,000 miles, my cooler let go. I ended up changing everything I touched on the way in... Did hg's and studs as well as having the heads checked while they were out.
Well, I said the same thing in a earlier post,either yank it or install a bulletproof one. Have read lots of posts where the oil cooler was shot but egr tested out ok, 6 months later egr cooler is junk whether plugged up or started leaking: and back open she goes.

Abealex I am thinking the same way, are you keeping the truck? Is it worth the risk?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '03 EGR Cooler... vital to replace or no?