Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

2013 Ford Escape - New Owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 07:44 PM
bob1987f
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well, I tried to post a big pic of the little avatar pic I've got, but apparently I'm not allowed to attach images....even though I've attached images before, and have been a rule complying member since aught Four!

Old 01-19-2013, 10:54 AM
HDEscape
New User
Hello all, first time poster. Picked up a '13 Titanium AWD 2.0 EB on Dec 10th, have 1900 miles on it now. I came from a 2008 Wrangler, for big reasons MPG and I am having a hard time grasping if something is wrong with mine or not?

My dash MPG consistently shows 21-24mpg once I get to every fill up, I reset after every fillup. I am not heavy on the pedal. I average 4/5 to a perfect 5 pedals on the Speed and Anticipation EcoMode chart. Yet I seem to go through my first 1/4 tank of gas after 60-70 miles. I see my gas gauge dropping as fast in my Escape as it did in my Jeep. Now I know my Jeep had a 22 gallon tank at about 14-15 mpg, and the Escape has a 15 gallon tank at supposed to be 21-28 mpg. but still seems wrong. Essentially I would assume that if I am dropping 1/4 tank every 60-70 miles then I would be getting around 240-270 miles per tank?

What is everyone else with the 2.0 AWD averaging miles per tank? I am starting to pay closer attention now to it that I am getting closer to 2,000 miles and I know it takes a few thousand until everything is really situated. but it has be bothered. Seems like I should be getting better, especially since the computer says I am doing pretty good at EcoMode.

last question.

on everyones dash where it shows the MPG. there is the 0 with a / through it with the fuel symbol and a > 5 pedal logo. should this be lit up? mine is grayed out all the time. (see below for example, not my dash, found on google)

Old 01-19-2013, 05:47 PM
tcesni
Elder User
Originally Posted by HDEscape
Hello all, first time poster. Picked up a '13 Titanium AWD 2.0 EB on Dec 10th, have 1900 miles on it now. I came from a 2008 Wrangler, for big reasons MPG and I am having a hard time grasping if something is wrong with mine or not?

My dash MPG consistently shows 21-24mpg once I get to every fill up, I reset after every fillup. I am not heavy on the pedal. I average 4/5 to a perfect 5 pedals on the Speed and Anticipation EcoMode chart. Yet I seem to go through my first 1/4 tank of gas after 60-70 miles. I see my gas gauge dropping as fast in my Escape as it did in my Jeep. Now I know my Jeep had a 22 gallon tank at about 14-15 mpg, and the Escape has a 15 gallon tank at supposed to be 21-28 mpg. but still seems wrong. Essentially I would assume that if I am dropping 1/4 tank every 60-70 miles then I would be getting around 240-270 miles per tank?

What is everyone else with the 2.0 AWD averaging miles per tank? I am starting to pay closer attention now to it that I am getting closer to 2,000 miles and I know it takes a few thousand until everything is really situated. but it has be bothered. Seems like I should be getting better, especially since the computer says I am doing pretty good at EcoMode.

last question.

on everyones dash where it shows the MPG. there is the 0 with a / through it with the fuel symbol and a > 5 pedal logo. should this be lit up? mine is grayed out all the time. (see below for example, not my dash, found on google)

I think you have the right attitude about waiting a bit to let the engine get broken in but there are a couple of other variables the might be depressing your mpg a bit. Where do you live? Winter gas will reduce mpg by 1-2 mpg and the cold weather also has an impact.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:03 PM
HDEscape
New User
Nebraska. and I know winter weather does affect MPG. But my premise is that if Im getting 60-70 miles per quarter tank, then that is about 240-270 miles per tank, or 16-18 mpg.....doesnt seem right when I am getting the 5 petals on ecomode.

That's why I was wondering what other 2.0 AWD EB owners out there are getting for total miles on a tank of gas.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:07 PM
bob1987f
Senior User
just (literally) got back from our weekend trip from Lexington, SC to Gatlinburg TN in the smoky mountains. the entire trip I averaged 26.4 mpg. Thats a lot of mountain road/interstate cruising, and running 74-80 whenever I could on the ride home. I have a 2.0 FWD, but I have 3800 mi on the car already. I can already tell its getting better than it did a couple thousand miles ago. Plus I need to change the oil, and with the winter grade gas, I'm not complaining at all!

Give it a couple more thousand and see if it gets better like mine did...

Old 01-20-2013, 07:14 PM
tcesni
Elder User
Originally Posted by HDEscape
Nebraska. and I know winter weather does affect MPG. But my premise is that if Im getting 60-70 miles per quarter tank, then that is about 240-270 miles per tank, or 16-18 mpg.....doesnt seem right when I am getting the 5 petals on ecomode.

That's why I was wondering what other 2.0 AWD EB owners out there are getting for total miles on a tank of gas.

Don't jduge your mpg by "miles per quarter tank". Use the dash read out or go the old fashioned way of filling up when the tank is low and dividing the miles driven by the gallons of gas in the fill up. I used to have a Taurus SHO that would go 160 miles on the first quarter tank and I certainly wasn't getting 32 mpg.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:13 PM
HDEscape
New User
Still leaves me wanting to know from 2.0 AWD owners out there, how many miles per tank they are averaging

Old 01-22-2013, 06:09 PM
ticobird
New User
I don't understand your question about how many miles per tank I'm getting. Sometimes I fill up just before the 3/4 tank mark and other times I fill up somewhere between 3/4 and empty. Anyway, to answer your question I can confidently travel 300+ miles between fillups. After filling up the trip computer calculated Miles to Empty is in the range of 340 miles. According to the trip computer I get approximately 25 mpg. According to my vehicle maintenance spreadsheet I am presently getting approximately 26 mpg tank to tank. My worst computed amount was 21 mpg after filling up the tank the very first time. My best computed amount was 31.5 mpg of total interstate driving at a steady 60 mph. I presently have 4,400 miles on the odometer of my 2.0 Titanium Escape.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:53 AM
DOUGGR
New User
2013 escape titanium 2.0L ecoboost FWD - 6700 miles - 89 octane used - tow package - commute 15 miles each way on toll way averaging 23 mpg - I did however change my tires form the stock conti 235/45 r19 to Falken model 452 245/40 r19. The good news is My full suspension santa cruz 29er fit in the back with the front wheel removed quite easily. This car is quiet and comfortable for a 4 cylinder.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:38 AM
hop
Junior User
Escape vs

Why did you pick the Escape vs Edge?

Old 01-31-2013, 06:34 PM
DOUGGR
New User
Better weight ratio

Don't get me wrong. The edge is an ok vehicle but I wanted something new and sporty that could still hold my mountain bike. The escape has a much better horse to weight ratio than the edge. The escape is quick nimble and comfortable.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:09 AM
DBubba
Freshman User
I'd also like to add that tire pressure make a big difference here too. I noticed lower FE numbers after running a few tanks of fuel through it before I realized the tire pressure was at 32 on delivery when the door sticker recommends 35. I run 36 just to be safe during winter months.

My in town mileage increased from 21 to 23 just by upping the TP and keeping foot out of the throttle (<2.5 K RPMS). This power plant has great torque and can encourage bad behavior

Originally Posted by tcesni
I think you have the right attitude about waiting a bit to let the engine get broken in but there are a couple of other variables the might be depressing your mpg a bit. Where do you live? Winter gas will reduce mpg by 1-2 mpg and the cold weather also has an impact.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:59 PM
desertnomad
Senior User
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a new car for my wife to replace her '09 Jeep Compass (my daughter will soon have her DL) and considering the '13 Escape SE. Maybe the '14 if I can wait long enough. I test drove the Edge and didn't care for it. Acceleration when needing to merge on a highway just wasn't there in my opinion. How does the Escape fare in this regard?

My biggest question to all you '13 owners is aside from minor annoyances, have you been satisfied? Reliability wise have you needed to visit your dealership for any repairs? My wife mostly does stop n' go city traffic over short distances with the occasional 300+ mile roadtrip.

Thanks for any feedback.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:52 PM
j.grif
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by desertnomad
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a new car for my wife to replace her '09 Jeep Compass (my daughter will soon have her DL) and considering the '13 Escape SE. Maybe the '14 if I can wait long enough. I test drove the Edge and didn't care for it. Acceleration when needing to merge on a highway just wasn't there in my opinion. How does the Escape fare in this regard?

My biggest question to all you '13 owners is aside from minor annoyances, have you been satisfied? Reliability wise have you needed to visit your dealership for any repairs? My wife mostly does stop n' go city traffic over short distances with the occasional 300+ mile roadtrip.

Thanks for any feedback.
If you go with the 2.0 ecoboost, power will not be an issue and we have no problems in 4800 miles!

Old 03-10-2013, 08:14 PM
desertnomad
Senior User
Great to hear, thanks!

Quick Reply: 2013 Ford Escape - New Owners