6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Use of courtesy time out

Old 12-31-2012, 05:51 PM
madsonp
Received 75 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by RM2012F350
I'm thinking of using these...12 inch 24-LED Light Tube | LED Strip Lights, Accent Lighting & LED Modules | Super Bright LEDs

I have two mounted under my hood and they really light up the engine bay...
They're not long enough for what I want to do, but I really like your idea of putting them under the hood. Did you come off the power for the existing light so they work off the tilt switch? Also, how did you secure them to the hood?

Old 12-31-2012, 07:09 PM
RM2012F350
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Under the hood LED's

Originally Posted by madsonp
They're not long enough for what I want to do, but I really like your idea of putting them under the hood. Did you come off the power for the existing light so they work off the tilt switch? Also, how did you secure them to the hood?
Well I just used plain ol zip ties for the wires and the light strips come with double stick tape. I made a plug and installed it where the light bulb used to go. The entire wire is one long piece of shrink tube. These lights are very bright for their size... Excuse the dirt, too much salt on the roads to wash the truck. I took these pictures at night without a flash. You can really see the engine bay.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:21 PM
madsonp
Wow, I'm impressed, that looks good and what a great idea, that's gotta make working on the truck nice. Didn't your hood have insulation on it though? Mine does. Did you just remove the insulation? I'll have to look and see if I can do something similar on mine. What did you use to make the plug to plug into the existing fixture?

Old 12-31-2012, 07:26 PM
RM2012F350
Senior User
I never had insulation in my hood... Believe it or not U used two bullet crimp on connectors and shrink tube. I used some potting compound to seal the end into a plug. Works pretty good.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:49 PM
madsonp
Huh, I wonder why your hood didn't have insulation, maybe there's a difference between diesels and gas, mines a 6.2 gas. I'll sure have to do something like that on mine, I could just run the wire under the insulation I guess. Thanks for sharing your idea.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:54 PM
RM2012F350
Senior User
It fairly easy mod with great benefits. Have fun and Happy New Year

Old 12-31-2012, 08:21 PM
Hdslider
Postmaster
Diesels did not come with insulation. Just the gasser.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:26 PM
madsonp
Originally Posted by Hdslider
Diesels did not come with insulation. Just the gasser.
That explains it. I guess the diesels don't have the heat issues.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:34 PM
madsonp
Ok, I decided what I'm going to do for lights. First of all I got rid of the nerf bars because of mud getting packed everywhere when driving down dirt roads, I went with a factory style running board. You can read about it in this post. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...nerf-bars.html I've gotten these for lights (the Amber ones). WFLS-x-BK series Weatherproof High Power LED Flexible Light Strip - Black Circuit | LED Strips | LED Light Strips & Bars | Super Bright LEDs
I bought the 196" length and they can be cut to length for the install. I'll either mount these to the running boards themselves or on the truck above the running boards, then connect these to the connectors I mentioned earlier in this thread and plug them in. I have everything I need to do this with the exception of warm weather. Something else I plan on doing (there again when it's warm enough) is run some of these same lights (the warm white ones) on the top of the window frame inside my topper for lighting. They'll be turned on and off with one of these Directed 8600 Magnetic Micro Switch : Micro Switches | RadioShack.com which I'll mount to the topper door and frame. I've already ran a power wire from the battery all the way to the back of the truck, so I have power that's hot all the time for this. I'll post photos of everything when I get it all finished (if it ever warms up that is).
Got the lights installed in my topper today, they look great, and the switch works real good. I hope to install the running board lights tomorrow. Here's what the lights look like in my topper.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:32 AM
RM2012F350
Senior User
Looks Great!

Got the lights installed in my topper today, they look great, and the switch works real good. I hope to install the running board lights tomorrow. Here's what the lights look like in my topper.

Isn't it amazing how the LED's light up in the dark?

Old 01-06-2013, 01:03 PM
maltesecross
Freshman User

Thanks for the link and instructions on your steplight install plans. That site, LED Lights, Bulbs & Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS is an easy source to replace the ultra dim interior bulbs. Ive been poking around for a site that gives you the numbers and locations with a cheap price. Just ordered my map lights, courtesy lights, and steprails.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:35 PM
madsonp
Ok, I decided what I'm going to do for lights. First of all I got rid of the nerf bars because of mud getting packed everywhere when driving down dirt roads, I went with a factory style running board. You can read about it in this post. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...nerf-bars.html I've gotten these for lights (the Amber ones). WFLS-x-BK series Weatherproof High Power LED Flexible Light Strip - Black Circuit | LED Strips | LED Light Strips & Bars | Super Bright LEDs
I bought the 196" length and they can be cut to length for the install. I'll either mount these to the running boards themselves or on the truck above the running boards, then connect these to the connectors I mentioned earlier in this thread and plug them in. I have everything I need to do this with the exception of warm weather. Something else I plan on doing (there again when it's warm enough) is run some of these same lights (the warm white ones) on the top of the window frame inside my topper for lighting. They'll be turned on and off with one of these Directed 8600 Magnetic Micro Switch : Micro Switches | RadioShack.com which I'll mount to the topper door and frame. I've already ran a power wire from the battery all the way to the back of the truck, so I have power that's hot all the time for this. I'll post photos of everything when I get it all finished (if it ever warms up that is).

Got the running board lights installed today. Worked out real nice and they look sweet.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:48 PM
madsonp
Originally Posted by RM2012F350
Isn't it amazing how the LED's light up in the dark?
You got that right, it's a big improvement over the cheap little light that came with the topper.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:10 AM
madsonp
Did any of you other guys participating in this thread ever get your lights mounted ? Would sure like to see what you did.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:49 AM
maltesecross
Freshman User

Im going to install my upfitter switches this morning. If i have time, Have to wash the whip before installing my running board lights.

Now after seeing your pics, got me wondering if i should have went with a different color light. I bought the amber as well, but thinking the gray metallic paint on my truck might not look as good. Wonder what it would look like if they were mounted on the underside of the door jam??

5 days straight of rain is killin my free time!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Use of courtesy time out