1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Cowl vent or no cowl vent

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 03:19 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
Mine's even converted to power. IMHO it's cooler to see it go up and down with the push of a button than the power windows!
AX is your power vent conversion in any of your albums?

Old 04-30-2014, 04:06 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Losing mine, hoping to go with A/C eventually but windows down will have to do for now.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:08 PM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts
Mine uses an actual motor similar to a wiper motor.
Does it appear to be backyard engineered or a manufactured kit?

I've been considering a motor drive to run mine........might be time to visit the salvage yard to consider possibilities.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:12 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by underthebridgejim
AX is your power vent conversion in any of your albums?
If it is it was accidental, I'll try to remember to take a pic for you. There are a number of 12V geared motors out there for the RC model guys that aren't expensive. With the low speed gear box it doesn't need a very big motor to have plenty of torque, just don't stall it for long.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:20 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
If it is it was accidental, I'll try to remember to take a pic for you. There are a number of 12V geared motors out there for the RC model guys that aren't expensive. With the low speed gear box it doesn't need a very big motor to have plenty of torque, just don't stall it for long.
Thank you.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:51 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
If I was looking to do it inexpensively I'd get a motor out of a forward-back power seat. Low speed, high torque, reverseable, inexpensive out of the U-pull or off ebay.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:09 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 123 Likes on 63 Posts
The motor was already in mine from the PO, but I needed to revise the linkage as it was binding. If it leaks with a new gasket, the bottom of the well may be rusted out or the drain hose is missing.
AX, Bonus Builts do not have a drain hose or drain port of any kind and nothing is rusted at all. The problem imho is the reproduction rubber gasket and the fact that it will not fully compress in the forward edge which is why I asked you my previous question which was:

" After closing and compressing the rubber seal, can you observe any reopening motion like the compressed seal is forcing the lid up a little?"

Note that it did not leak in driving rain as built by Ford.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:33 PM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts
If I was looking to do it inexpensively I'd get a motor out of a forward-back power seat. Low speed, high torque, reverseable, inexpensive out of the U-pull or off ebay.
Hadn't thought about those. I'll check them out. Too bad I scrapped an old set of power seats out of a big buick some time back. I've decided that I can't keep "everything" in hopes of having a use for it in the future.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:00 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 49willard
AX, Bonus Builts do not have a drain hose or drain port of any kind and nothing is rusted at all. The problem imho is the reproduction rubber gasket and the fact that it will not fully compress in the forward edge which is why I asked you my previous question which was:

" After closing and compressing the rubber seal, can you observe any reopening motion like the compressed seal is forcing the lid up a little?"

Note that it did not leak in driving rain as built by Ford.
Bill sorry I don't feel like I can answer your questions with any helpful insight: 1. I don't have a bonus built, 2. my vent gasket was already install when I got the truck, so I don't know how old it is, but it is soft like sponge rubber (about like soft door weather seal), 3. my power motor linkage is tight, so it doesn't have freedom to show any immediate movement or spring back. 4. when I had the linkage disconnected the front was maybe 1/4" proud of the cowl but I could easily push it down and the motor does not labor closing it tightly against the seal.

I might look at making a gasket from pep boy tubular door weather stripping???

Old 04-30-2014, 07:40 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Bill, whose gasket do you have? I suspect Dennis C makes all of them. At any rate, mine has been on there for more than 10 years, not a lot of it outdoors admittedly, but it has sealed tight since I put it in. If I spray directly at it with a hose when washing a little will make it past, but I think the spray is actually lifting the lid. To answer your question, when I close it, there is no "bounce back", it just stays there.

I remember when I put the seal on it was hard to get it on over the flange so that it sat down square against the cowl, the flange had to be worked into the groove in the seal carefully. I also think it has a shape molded into it, i.e., it needs to go on in a certain orientation.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:37 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 123 Likes on 63 Posts
AX, Thanks for your response. I had Mid Fifty email me a copy of the installation sketch for the motorized set up that they sell. It is not much help in reality but at least it looks like it pretty much takes the space where the mechanical lever arrangement is located. I do have a combination heat and
AC unit with multiple duct hoses behind the center of the dash.

Ross, Thanks for your response. I am sure that the gasket came from Carpenter. I am sure that I have the gasket in properly. You are the only one that I know of that is satisfied that the vent closes rain tight. I could try another gasket. The new gasket for my windshield with the ss trim worked great.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:48 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Bill,
We've got a '50 with an operational cowl & we don't have any problems with it leaking. I'll have to go search through my things to see where we got it from.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 04-30-2014, 10:18 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am closing mine off permanently. Too hot here in Houston not to have AC - at least for me. I don't want to take any chances with any water on the wiring, the AC/Heat, and the electric wiper motor anyway. I also got rid of the wing windows so I am counting on the AC (really cool).

Old 05-01-2014, 07:54 AM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am pretty sure my lift motor for the vent came from Mid-Fifties and it is a good one. It is up and down, not round and round, if that makes sense. In other words, it does not reverse and go back up. The motor I used on my 40 does just that and it is irritating. Just when you think it is all the way down, it starts back up.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:51 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
I really like the idea of motorizing the cowl vent, its amazing how well the stock ventilators and cowl vent work ,I'm comfortable on a 95 degree day, of course I don't have the same humidity that some of you have.

Quick Reply: Cowl vent or no cowl vent