1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Meet Earl's Brazilian Cousin

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2003, 03:25 PM
Lobo 2
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nathan,
Wouldn't it be fun to drive a truck all the way to the US, and get it into a show, or something? I thought about doing that, and almost did, once...
It would take me around 2 months to get there... If I'm not mistaken, it's a 24000 miles trip.

Does anybody want a ride?

Lobo

Old 05-23-2003, 07:14 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

You don't drive you fly! A usa cargo plane could hold it.

Old 05-23-2003, 07:23 PM
Lobo 2
Senior User

Yeah, I know... I could also get it inside a container, and send it by ship.
But then it would be too easy. We want some adventure!

Lobo

Old 05-24-2003, 09:20 AM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe Fenders could fly the plane?

Old 05-24-2003, 10:23 AM
pcmenten
Posting Guru

Originally posted by 51dueller
Maybe Fenders could fly the plane?
Yes, that would be an adventure if Dewayne flew the plane.

Lobo, I've been looking for a bellhousing that would bolt a 289-302-351 to a truck and have a C4 transmission. I wonder if that bellhousing was used in Brazil? Carl reports that this bellhousing was used on a 64 truck up here. It has engine mounts that bolt it to the frame at the bellhousing.

Old 05-24-2003, 11:05 AM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

From what I've read you will have to ship your vehicle at least once to get from Brazil to the US since it's currently not possible to drive through the Darien region of Panama to get from Columbia to the rest of Panama. There is a 54 mile stretch of rain forest that is essentially impassible (according to the experts) and there are no plans to build a highway or road of any kind through that region any time soon due to ecological concerns.

Given the bandits and occasional landslides and washouts that block roads for weeks at a time in some areas, it would really be quite an adventure. But hey, I'd be willing to give it a try if there were enough folks interested to make it a little safer.

Old 05-24-2003, 12:17 PM
Lobo 2
Senior User

Paul, Unfortunately, I don't think we have what you want down here... By the time C4s appeared down here, that pattern was no longer used.
I could find a bellhousing that would fit an Y-Block, or a 302, but it would not have those "ears" you want it to have. I know someone who would modify a bellhousing to fit there, but I don't think it would be of much help... I can ask him what's his suggestion, if you want.

George, you're absolutely right. If I'm not mistaken, you must ship it twice.
And, you really can't go alone. When we were planning on doing it, we were going to use three trucks, all 4x4, and I still think we would need more people... Our plans were not for a round trip, though. We were going to leave Houston, TX, and go down to Panama. There we would take a ferryboat, and enter Brazil through the other side. Spend a few days here, and fly back to Houston... It's been a while since we planned that... I still lived in Texas when I planned it with some friends...
By the way, they still want to do it! I recall that one of the problems we ran into, was that none of us could speak Spanish...

Regards,
Lobo

Old 05-24-2003, 12:44 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally posted by pcmenten
Yes, that would be an adventure if Dewayne flew the plane.

Lobo, I've been looking for a bellhousing that would bolt a 289-302-351 to a truck and have a C4 transmission. I wonder if that bellhousing was used in Brazil? Carl reports that this bellhousing was used on a 64 truck up here. It has engine mounts that bolt it to the frame at the bellhousing.
Paul

It sure doesn't look like there is room for that a C4 and that crossmember but it would be neat if it would.

And we will be sling loading Lobos truck to a UH-60 Blackhawk Chopper. Just like we do the howitzers. Airplanes are for sissies. They hardly ever crash. Were's the adventure in that.

Last edited by fatfenders; 05-24-2003 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-24-2003, 01:11 PM
Lobo 2
Senior User

'fenders
I like the idea! Lots of adventure! That's the spirit!

Do you think it could hold a F600 instead of the F100? That way there would be more space to bring all the stuff I know I'd end up buying... You know, get everything into the F600 is easier, more space available... Just tie everything up, and go.

Lobo

Old 05-24-2003, 06:43 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ROAD TRIP ROAD TRIP

The Howitzer is just the ticket for dealing with bandits, deadfalls, and foraging for food. I would suggest bridging equipment instead of choppers though, much more of the "Road" aspect. If airlift is required the UH-60 is an exceptional Bird, however if choppers have to be used the CH-47 with two "Jesus Nuts" doubles the chance at falling out of the sky.

Just think CONVOY, Breaker Breaker Fenders, up 20, left 10, aAr Burst at 10, Fire for Effect.

Oh, by the way guys and girls, the Dr. said I could start on the new meds, in two weeks!!!

WHO NEEDS ROADS - WE DON"T NEED NO STINKIN ROADS - WE GOTS FORDS!!!

Old 05-24-2003, 08:01 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts

"If airlift is required the UH-60 is an exceptional Bird, however if choppers have to be used the CH-47 with two "Jesus Nuts" doubles the chance at falling out of the sky."

That was a good one!

"Just think CONVOY, Breaker Breaker Fenders, up 20, left 10, aAr Burst at 10, Fire for Effect. "

Dammit Dick ,we don't say Breaker Breaker. That was the Convoy movie. We're all digital baby. If you intercept it these days, it sounds like...... screech, eep, eep, screeeeeech......... You gotta get some newer DVDs man.

Lobo, yes we can lift an F600. Don't tell us how much weight you put in the bed though and cover the load so we can't tell, it'll be a lot more exciting if we get an off balanced load on the sling. It's a real hoot when Dick gets religion at 3000 feet.

Old 05-24-2003, 08:34 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We gotta go people!

I need some of that religion, last time I had it was when I played Black Sabath at 78
(For those young folks out there the reference wasn't to the year, it was the RPM of a record player, OK a record player was a device that played records, OK a record wa how music was---Oh forget it.

Please Doc, do I have to wait two weeks

I liked the Convoy movies, cept for the GM products, the dog was cute

Say Good Night Dick

Old 05-24-2003, 08:38 PM
Lobo 2
Senior User

Let's just throw a few Y-blocks in the bed. I'll cover them like you said, so you won't know how many y-blocks are there.
I don't think things can get more unbalanced than that.

Well, there is also the cement mixer if you want something different.

Lobo

Old 05-24-2003, 08:52 PM
Lobo 2
Senior User

"I need some of that religion, last time I had it was when I played Black Sabath at 78
(For those young folks out there the reference wasn't to the year, it was the RPM of a record player, OK a record player was a device that played records, OK a record wa how music was---Oh forget it."

You know, I used to do the same... Play 33 records at 78.
It'd always end up with someone shouting: "Turn that thing off right now! It's giving me a headache!"

The fun would last as long as the needle.

Lobo

Old 07-06-2003, 09:44 AM
Kenny
Cargo Master

Looks like the old refridgerator look is "in".

http://www.plainandcrazy.com/items2.html

This is the same model Coldspot fridge that I just threw out last year. Looks like I should have maybe restored it instead. take a look at what they are asking for it! That's what I paid for my '59.

Quick Reply: Meet Earl's Brazilian Cousin