Sponsored by:

Truck cover opinion

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 09:14 PM
sammatt1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck cover opinion

Since I bought my Ex about a year ago it’s been parked outside since it’s too tall for my garage. The Ex is not driven daily so putting on and removing the cover is not too much of a hassle.

So a couple of days ago I bought a 100% breathable truck cover so its not waterproof. I'm just trying to minimize truck's exposure to the elements especially the sun. Its cheap insurance. It might be an easier clean up during the winter months too especially trying to scrape off that morning frost.

Anybody has any firsthand experience using a cover?

The cover was advertised as 100% breathable but am I still taking the risk of mildew or damaging the paint? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:39 PM
Forest
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Biggest hazard of a cover in my region is "buffing/scuffing" of the paint in windy / dusty conditions. The dust gets under the cover and then scratches the paint. In rainy climes, you can get breathable covers that will keep the rain out as well, but they are expensive.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:05 AM
sammatt1
Senior User
From what I've read, it's a compromise since a waterproof material will never be 100% breathable that is why I chose the breathable one. But I wanted to know what people experienced in real life.

No worries here when it comes to dusts. Sun and moisture is are the biggest enemy.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:09 AM
TXtinct
You'll shoot your eye out

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You could set up a circus tent over your driveway and use as a garage.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:57 AM
sammatt1
Senior User
Originally Posted by TXtinct
You could set up a circus tent over your driveway and use as a garage.
If I live out in the country then that would be a great idea but again if I had that much room I would have a huge garage to begin with.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:05 AM
tdappleman
Fleet Mechanic
From doing auto detailing for over 20 years - if the car is stored outdoors I would not use a cover. Indoor storage it keeps the dust off and clients primarily used them to keep cats off. The outdoor storage, as Forest mentioned, has the danger of getting dust and grime embedded into the material and then the wind and the removal/installation does more damage to the paint then just being out in the elements.

My recommendation - Keep a good coat of wax on the Ex, use a windshield sun shade and tint the front door windows. Keeping it clean and protected will be a better option.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:30 AM
sammatt1
Senior User
Originally Posted by tdappleman
Keep a good coat of wax on the Ex, use a windshield sun shade and tint the front door windows. Keeping it clean and protected will be a better option.
tdappleman -

I've been using the windshield sun shade for years and I had the front windows tinted about 6 months ago.

Since you're an auto detailer and speaking of wax, I recently bought this http://www.meguiars.com/en/professio...-system-kit-6/

I also bought the Meguiar's DA polisher separate http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...tion-polisher/ -- much cheaper than buying the bundle.

I tried this system on my Lexus LS400 over the weekend (lots of swirl marks on it) and it worked great. I'd say 75% of the heavy swirl marks are gone. I think I need to apply more pressure on the DA to completely get rid of the swirl marks. That was my first time using it so I was afraid to damage the paint. I'd probably do it again in the near future.

I'm planning on applying this system to my Ex this weekend and I will definitely use more pressure this time to smooth out the paint.

Any experience on this Meguiars system?

Old 09-18-2012, 03:28 PM
tdappleman
Fleet Mechanic
I haven't used that particular system but use a lot of Meguiar's products. The DA polishers are nice since you don't have to worry about burning through the paint on edges. If you have the majority of the swirls out then try just a glaze like 3M Finesse-It II finisher or Duragloss 111 Polish. After you use it then use a good wax to seal the finish.