Sponsored by: DP Tuner

I think I F'ed up doing O-rings!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 08:38 AM
Shattered
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I F'ed up doing O-rings!!!!!!!

Yesterday as I was doing my O-rings I kept getting phone calls for a sprinkler valve that was possibly leaking, my father who can't do anything for himself. After a half dozen calls I finally get O-rings done, and feeling somewhat accomplished for the day I clean up tools and such, that's when I notice I have an extra copper ring for the end of my injector.... Now here's the tricky part..... Which one???? LOL... this is my luck and the price I am now paying for getting distracted. I still haven't started the truck, just have the injectors back in... I know I have too pull them to find the one with the missing ring, will I need to do the all the rings when I pull them out again????? please someone say " as long as you haven't started the engine you can pull them and be ok"

Old 09-16-2012, 08:44 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Just a thought. Can you lay a straight edge across the top of the injectors to see which one may be seated deeper than the others because of the lacking washer? The o-rings should be fine, if you have to R&I the injectors.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:53 AM
Shattered
Senior User
I don't know if I have a straight edge anything that would be small enough to lay across there. If I have to pull them, will I have to replace all the copper washers as I pull them out?

Old 09-16-2012, 08:59 AM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Shattered
I don't know if I have a straight edge anything that would be small enough to lay across there. If I have to pull them, will I have to replace all the copper washers as I pull them out?
That's what they say. I might go buy a straight edge and give that a try. You sure its not an old one?

Old 09-16-2012, 09:04 AM
Shattered
Senior User
yeah, I counted the old ones had 8, only other thing it could have been is an extra in one of the o-ring packs. but I don't think I am willing to risk that. I had way to much distraction yesterday right in the middle of all this.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:26 AM
Shattered
Senior User
ok, next question fellas. what is the best way to purge the oil and fuel in the cylinders? I have been told turn it over by hand a few times with GP's out, and then turn it with the starter and leave injectors unplugged. and do the injector cups need to be free of oil also during install?

Old 09-16-2012, 09:43 AM
Franko72
Molon Labe
ok, next question fellas. what is the best way to purge the oil and fuel in the cylinders? I have been told turn it over by hand a few times with GP's out, and then turn it with the starter and leave injectors unplugged. and do the injector cups need to be free of oil also during install?
Pull the glow plugs, set the vc's on the engine (trust me ) and use a big screwdriver to bridge the terminals on the fender mounted solenoid to turn it over. A few short bumps, then ten seconds or so & you should be good to go.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:47 AM
Shattered
Senior User
Thanks Frank, I had everyone saying I needed some sort of vacuum with a piece of hose and stick it through the hole in the injector cups and suck it out that way, to using a turkey baster, etc. etc. just stuff that seemed more work than what was needed.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:51 AM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Frank, I had everyone saying I needed some sort of vacuum with a piece of hose and stick it through the hole in the injector cups and suck it out that way, to using a turkey baster, etc. etc. just stuff that seemed more work than what was needed.
You can do it that way too. But I do it like Frank.

I don't jump the solenoid though I just leave the 42 pin undone and crank with the key.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:54 AM
Shattered
Senior User
that would be the one with the little 10mm bolt running through it on the drivers side right?

Old 09-16-2012, 09:54 AM
Franko72
Molon Labe
A vacuum is the cleanest way, but bumping the starter will work just fine.
Just don't get crank happy right off the bat, a few short bumps to get the majority of the liquid out, then a good ten seconds or so to get the rest.
I did it yesterday when I installed my injectors, and all is good. My Snap On plastic handled prybar was perfect for bridging the solenoid.

I used to pull the 42 pin plug apart, and pull the fuel pump fuse. The turn it over with the key, but after shorting out a glow plug end and melting my harness, I just use the solenoid on the fender. Thanks to Joe (CSIPSD) for the suggestion.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:55 AM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that would be the one with the little 10mm bolt running through it on the drivers side right?
Yes that's the one.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:57 AM
Shattered
Senior User
sounds like either way will work just fine, now I just need to get copper washers so I can rip injectors out and check to see which 1 I forgot to put the washer on. so this should be fun all over again.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:58 AM
Shattered
Senior User
Speaking of those copper washers, where can I get just the copper washer? my local dealer said they only sell them in a kit with all the other o-rings.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:58 AM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Yep!
Thats the one.

Quick Reply: I think I F'ed up doing O-rings!!!!!!!