6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

To Delete or Not to...thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Jayybird
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
To Delete or Not to...thoughts?

Fellas,
I have a 2012 F250, i love the truck. My previous truck was a 6.0. I am considering gutting the DPF, blocking EGR and retuning. Main goal in doing this is longevity. The truck with stock power is plenty for me and what i do. If i do this i have no intention in hard rodding and tearing things up... i have all that out of my system.

Emissions testing is no concern for me.

For those who have done this, do you have any regrets??

Please, i want to hear from those who have done this or are considering doing it. I have no intention of having an "enviroment" discussion.

Here is a make believe silly scenerio to get others on the same page...if someone was gonna give you a million bucks if you could make your truck last for 300K miles and the only thing you could do it was remove emission control items or leave them alone, what would you do? in this make believe sceniro warranty and emission laws don't exist....would you leave it alone trusting ford or remove and take a gamble? Again if you make it to 300k, you get a million bucks.

Thoughts?

Old 09-05-2012, 01:27 PM
blue oval fan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
only regret i have is not doing it right away, i waited for about 20,000 miles. DO IT!! u will love the truck 10x more, it makes it so much fun to drive! plus if ur worried about too much smoke, i saw on here that the new H&S update takes most of the smoke away.. but me, i like the smoke

Old 09-05-2012, 01:53 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
For me:

-First 3 months of ownership, at dealer 20 days for P164A, P2A00 and related DEF, limp mode and associted CEL's
-For the past 21 months since deleting everything, not a single problem related to emmissions equipemnt and not one day at the dealer because of it.

Not a single regret here. I did it at 5,000 kM and shoudl have done it at 1 kM.

And yes the smoke is pretty much gone with H&S latest TV.

The power is awesome.

No more oil dilution (although not a real issue), no more plugged up EGR, no more DEF etc etc.

No more warranty

Thanks

Old 09-05-2012, 02:37 PM
Hdslider
Postmaster
Darren.Since your last update and now no more smoke, have you noticed any mpg increase? It would seem to me no smoke on a delete tune would equal a noticable improvement. Just wondering, since you do have a large lead foot. Lmk Paul

Old 09-05-2012, 02:38 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

I should also mention that my truck has been back to the dealer tuned and deleted for a water pump, alternator and new PCM. All covered under warranty.

Results may vary.......

Old 09-05-2012, 02:40 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Hdslider
Darren.Since your last update and now no more smoke, have you noticed any mpg increase? It would seem to me no smoke on a delete tune would equal a noticable improvement. Just wondering, since you do have a large lead foot. Lmk Paul
Sorry Paul, I have not noticed any but I don't pay attention to it either. Spoiled with a company gas card

Old 09-05-2012, 03:29 PM
Stinkweed14
Freshman User
Will the h&s still smoke if you want it to

Old 09-05-2012, 03:50 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Stinkweed14
Will the h&s still smoke if you want it to
Not with the current tune version. But the next TV is supposed to allow you to "adjust low bost fueling" (make smoke) if you want to.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:16 PM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Delete it!!

Old 09-05-2012, 05:18 PM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by darren32
I should also mention that my truck has been back to the dealer tuned and deleted for a water pump, alternator and new PCM. All covered under warranty.

Results may vary.......
Yes, be careful of this. Most dealers here in the US will void you or refuse service on sight of a tuner. I researched this well.....

Old 09-05-2012, 07:38 PM
Adventure Rider
Senior User
How do you pass emissions testing?

Old 09-05-2012, 07:43 PM
FORDTUF1
Elder User
I too went to the dark side, but I waited until the 36,000 miles, I know its just mental. I put the 5" straight pipe on and it was rather loud, and to me it made an undesirable "squealish howl" when you let off and the waste gate dumped and the turbo is spooling down.

The smoke was a big concern for me as I live and drive in ATL burbs and town, plus it would absolutely coat my 5th wheel. I called H&S about this, a de-fueling to limit the smoke in "no power" or "Mild" setting, they said they didn't offer to custom tune yet. I'm amazed that they changed it, my call was July 9th/10th, maybe I helped maybe not, but it looks like my 5" pipes or going back on.

What I think is the engine loves the tuner even with stock exhaust; and more when it is deleted. I was a gasser and tweaked everything before, this is my 1st diesel and my thoughts are it's amazing to do this. I would without a doubt expect this engine to last longer and cleaner (cleaner on the inside anyway) because more fuel is burned and not left to build up.

If I did it again I would choose the 4" and include a muffler. I'm going to fit my 5" and drop it to 4" going over the rear axle, and I'll utilize the factory dual tips. I don't think it looks bad, I kinda like it, plus it doesn't draw attention. So I'll look stock including the fact I mounted mine just below the little "cell phone" holder near your right knee, you can't see it from outside at all.

Sorry for rambling, I think my meds have kicked in after a long day at work.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:39 PM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If warranty is a huge concern, keep it stock. No reason to have something that's going to worry you every time you drive your truck.

It doesn't bother me, if it blows up I'll fit it. It's highly unlikely you'll have a catastrophic failure and some failures are still not covered under warranty even if you're stock. Like several HPFPs, sorry for saying those horrible words....

I guess in short, do what makes you feel right and happy. I love my truck now and drive the **** out of it everyday. I'm not nice to it very often and the trucks seems to love being driven hard. It sees alot of 1400° EGTs and doesn't seem to care. Keeps the soot from building up!

Old 09-05-2012, 08:56 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,048 Likes on 2,210 Posts
On an Emissions note: Not every state has emission testing. Wisconsin is one of them

Darren is in Canada...he doesn't have to follow any off the emission laws the various states have in the US.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Jayybird
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks to all for the input, sounds like everyone is happy with removing this stuff. I have made the decision to move forward with doing this. Now for my next quesion,

Which kits/brands are most of yall using? It appears for tuning its either Spartan or H&S. I have read as many good threads as bad about both. One plus i see in H&S is they do offer the entire kit with tuner, egr block off, and exhaust. I would like to do this and a S&B CAI. Also, just an idea, has anyone left the cat and DPF in place and just gutted it out so if there is a visible inspection it all looks the same. I am considering doing this, actually got the idea from Bill over at Powerstrokehelp.com.

Also, did you guys do the work your self? I am far from being a great mechanic, but have a good buddy that can do about anything. Was thinking between me and him we could do it. Thoughts? If its tricky i don't mind spending money for someone that knows what they are doing to knock it out.

Thoughts? THANKS!

Quick Reply: To Delete or Not to...thoughts?