Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1990 10 lug F450 woes!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 01:51 AM
lowzone
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 10 lug F450 woes!

Hi everyone,
been lurking around, searching for some answers, couldnt find what i needed to know so i'll ask..... I have a couple of F series pickups, 92 350 crewcab dually and a 90 F250 standard cab both Diesels and im swapping the 90 drive line onto a 1990 F450 SD chassis for a project, but i want to go 8 lug up front. chassis isnt here yet but in a week or so i should have it here. I need to widen the front track about 2" on each side and there are NO 10 lug rims with the right offset, obviously. i dont want to run spacers and i dont want to put undo strain on the wheel bearings, so i want to go to a more friendlier 8 lug conversion. For the rear, im putting the 92 crewcab dually rear under this frame as i dont need the GVW or the 5.13 gearing. The disc brakes ill miss but, ill survive! welding, fabrication and machine work does not scare me. Can/should i just FILL and Drill the existing F450 hubs? is there room? or can the F250 (SRW) or F350 (DRW) 8 lug front hubs bolt onto the 90s Solid 2wd axle beam??? Suggestions and ideas would be great!!
thanks all
Ron

Old 09-09-2012, 06:08 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Welcome to the forum Ron!

I would suggest using the DRW 350 front end so at least they are all the same wheels.
Imagining the tie rod ends are going to be extended.
Not really sure how all that will affect the steering geometry.

Fairly straightforward to fit discs in the rear.
F-450 have a driveshaft parking brake?

This project is going to be really interesting!

Old 09-09-2012, 07:10 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,101 Likes on 2,163 Posts
to put the pickup rear under the F-superduty frame( there is no such animal as a 90 F-450) you will have to move the spring perches. the pickup frame/spring perch are 36 inches, the F-superduty frame/spring perch is 33 inches
the F-350 4X4 dually front axle will bolt rite under the front though.
you will also have to put either a rear lift spring on the superduty frame, or switch to F-350 reverse arch front springs.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:10 PM
lowzone
New User
i was told it was an F450, but understand they are Super Duty. the chassis had a 7.3 5 spd. i want the solid 2wd axle beam, moving the spring perches wont be an issue, Not sure about the driveshaft parking brake, still have to get the frame here. to let the cat out of the bag, i have a 1986 Peterbilt 359 cab and nose that is chopped and channeled to be dropped on the frame. using the F250 cab floor and VIN for mounting and registration purposes. Using the 90 F250 7.3L IDI, dash and wiring and converting it to a 5 speed (have the auto for sale ). this is why i said fabrication or machining isnt an issue. just wanted to know if there was a bolt on hub swap for the front so i can get some 19.5s. Prefer Drums in the back for the "look" but really need the 4.10 gearing for highway speeds and lower RPMs. I might even bag the truck so i can do links if needed.
thanks for the replies. over 20 years of automotive repair and customizing, just moving into the heavier suspension trucks now and learning can be expensive

Old 09-09-2012, 12:20 PM
lowzone
New User
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
Welcome to the forum Ron!

I would suggest using the DRW 350 front end so at least they are all the same wheels.
Imagining the tie rod ends are going to be extended.
Not really sure how all that will affect the steering geometry.
thank you! have to remember the front is a solid 2wd axle beam. havent taken one apart before, so if its a kingpin set up and spindle, i was hoping to swap on the hub and bearings or something like that from an 8 lugger. i have the F250 here and the F350 is at a friends house (he wrecked it and i got it for parts)...so until i get the axles apart i wont know whats what...but i figured the Gurus here might have some insight on if its even possible. i was thinking fill and drill the 10 lug to a 8 lug but not sure on the wheel set up (hub or lug centric). I AM VERY GREEN behind the ears on Fords...so BEAR WITH ME . Mechanically inclined once i ve done something, i can do it again and better.....just have to jump in on this i guess...

thanks again!
Ron

Old 09-09-2012, 12:33 PM
burnout400m
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lowzone
i was told it was an F450, but understand they are Super Duty.
Technically it's called an F-superduty. The confusion comes from the '99+ super duty line and the introduction of the F450/550. The F450 name did not exist prior to '99. It's more or less semantics but when people try to search for parts for F450's prior to '99 they won't find what they're looking for.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:04 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
if you are keeping it 2 wheel drive, i would look into a set of adapters, and stick a set of 22 or 22.5 semi rims on it. with the 359 cab and nose, it will look more to size than a set of smaller wheels. this way you can keep the trans mount park brake, rear disc brakes, and the 5.13 gearing will put you rite about where you will need to be for good power and fuel mileage.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:01 PM
lowzone
New User
Tom, thanks! the adapters might push the rims out about an inch but i was hoping to get something with less backspacing and more choices of rims. 22.5 are about 7k for rims and tires, im running a dummy rear axle tandem so i got 10 wheels and tires to buy! the cab is chopped 3" so far within the cowl and door, the glass is all still stock. Once the cab is mounted i will decide if i need to chop the windshields as well. the hood is chopped 3" in height and possibly 5" in length. so everything is smaller, 19.5s would be perfect and i know of a RV site that sells the F53 chassis rims.....450.00 each.
Family owns and operates a body shop that specializes in construction and large car (semis) vehicles. F350s look like toys at the shop next to the rigs....so ive got my hands on what i need. the truck in proportion should be OK with the 16s (235 80 16) but rather go 225 or 245 70 19.5...i just thought 8 lug rims would be more abundant and more offset choices to widen the front track to match the rear. The truck is staying 2wd. its why i got the Superduty chassis, for the front truck beam "look" that semis have similar set ups. Custom made front rims may be the only way to go....or the RV ones.
thanks again
Ron

Old 09-09-2012, 03:46 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
i don't know if you could put F-350 hubs on the superduty drop axle or not. that may be what you need if it will work. i doubt you will find a spindle to mount to the axle that will accept the 350 hub, you will most likely have to fabricate one.

it sounds like a fun project. many years ago i toyed with the idea of building a mini pete, but never got past the planning stages.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:23 PM
lowzone
New User
not that im looking to swap spindles, figured i could swap the hub onto the SD axle shaft that the 10 lug is on...i know one is an I Beam set up and other is a solid beam....or what about unbolting the adapter that Ford uses for the dually offset style rim....the part thats on the rotor (sorry again, newbie to Fords and terminology)...can get that machined down to accept 8 lug..just looking for ideas and if anyone has knowledge on bearing specs and such. so far im VERY impressed with the site and the info is mind boggling!!! thanks again for replying! ill post pics when i get the frame and maybe explain better what im thinking...

now can i put the F350 set up (above pic) onto the Superduty solid axle set up....thats what im thinking....ill know when i get both frames here....just a lot of work for the "look" of a solid front beam axle like on the Peterbilts...lol

i figure i could get a 18" or 20" rim up front that matches dually rims out back and still use a normal backspacing instead of the dually type offset up front and just carry a spare rim for the front.

Regards to all!
Ron

Old 09-09-2012, 06:33 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
that is what i was talking about, using a 350 hub and rotor assembly on the superduty axle/slindle.

another thing to look at is if the newer F-450 and F-550 10 lug rims will fit on the older superduty hubs.
the 450 and 550 use 19.5 10 lug rims. but i don't know if they are metric bolt pattern or not.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:45 PM
Phy
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The newer 10-lug pattern is different from the F-Superduty. The front hubs can't be machined for the 8-lug wheels: there isn't enough material to turn the center down to fit the smaller center hole in the 8-lug wheels.
A 2wd F-350 hub may fit on the F-Superduty spindle, I don't know. You could look up wheel bearings at one of the parts sites & see if those are the same or different...

Old 09-10-2012, 12:33 AM
lowzone
New User
Phy,
thanks, Im hoping the bearings can be swapped and interchanged. Different races with different cages could also be out there because of ID spindle differences...just a lot of Maybes. ill find out, the guy is stressing me to get the frame out, which its been there a month so hes not wrong but he lost my number to tell me it was stripped down and ready (no cab,bed, etc).....have to find a away to get it here. MIGHT not fit my friends trailer. anyway, the 10 lug is 7.25"...even if i went to the 8x200 pattern, thats 7 5/8"...the 170mm is ~6.75", only a .25" inward on each (2 sides .25x2=.50")...there may be enough there....once again, id have to measure and see if there is enough meat to be safe, its the metal in the back of the extention im more concerned about...All this might be moot as well, until i get the nose hung and see if i can narrow the nose/fenders more, i might not need it. would like the better wheel selection with the 8 lug though....
Thanks again
Ron

Old 10-11-2013, 06:34 AM
swervyjoe
New User
Anything happen with this? From what I found, the heavy duty 2wd hubs use the same bearings on F250 to F-Super Duty.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:16 AM
lowzone
New User
i still have the 10 lug front suspension under the frame, but ended up buying a 2004 F450 8 lug monobeam set up. its 8x225 but i can unbolt the adapters and put F350 8x170 adapters on to keep with the 99 rear axle i bought. kinda sucks throwing a lot of money at it but i wanted a common bolt patter on all 3 axles. (Doing a dummy tandem axle too )

anyone want 10 lug SD front parts????

Quick Reply: 1990 10 lug F450 woes!