05 Escape Anti-Theft Alarm going off - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

05 Escape Anti-Theft Alarm going off

Old 09-08-2012, 01:34 PM
New User

TheDudeJim is starting off with a positive reputation.
05 Escape Anti-Theft Alarm going off

The factory installed passive anti theft alarm keeps going off without external cause. Went to dealership to have them do the scan and all alarms point to the right rear-door. They suggest replacing the latch. This same latch was replaced 13 months ago for same problem. They will not honor the now out of date 12 month replacement warranty . So another $350. They said they have checked the wiring and all looks OK. Must be the latch. I only have 30,000 miles on the vehicle and this is a rarely used door, yet I have to replace the same latch again?? Anybody aware of other causes for this? Can the door ajar module be replaced separately and would it be less expensive to do so?
Old 09-16-2012, 09:51 PM
New User

Skally-wag is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am having the same issue! I have a 2005 XLT 3.0 V6.. The anti theft alarm activates when it shouldnt.. Even if I lock it and DO NOT SET the alarm, it will activate.. The other thing is the "door ajar" light on the instrament panel will come on, go off, come on go off, beep, beep, beep, go off.... then sometimes it will not come on or beep at all..
Took it to the shop (NOT a dealership) they couldn't get it to do anything. They said they couldn't locate any problem..

HELP.....

FYI, bought it new and it now has 192,000 miles.. This is the ONLY problem I have ever had with this vehicle.. I LOVE IT...
Old 09-18-2012, 06:29 PM
New User

Skally-wag,
Looks like we have the same model Escape with the same type problem. From what I have seen by searching the net is that the only way to pinpoint what is causing the alarm to go off is to have access to the right scan tool. And the only people who seem to have that are dealerships. Lately the same thing happenened whereas even though I had not used the door in a week, one evening it went off three times during a 90 min. lapse of time. When I went out and started the car the door ajar light was on in the instrument panel. I went around the vehicle and opened and closed each door, hood and rear hatch and the light would still not go out. Finally I concentrated on the latch the dealership says is causing the problem and after opening and closing the door 7 times the light on the dashboard finally went out. Everything was OK for 3 days then at 1:00 AM last night it goes off again. This is just crazy. And the dealership say that they cannot disconnect the alarm. There has got to be a way to disconnect it.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:02 PM
New User

Yep, we are having the SAME problem DudeJim!! What shall we do.. Yesterday while travelling home, the door ajar light would come on, go off. the beep would come on, stay on, come on, off, on and off for an Hour while driving the freeway.. Then it just stopped for the remainder of the way home, (another hr)...

It still activates, on and off.. I havent a clue on what to do!
Old 10-02-2012, 06:12 PM
New User

Hey DudeJim,..

Did you fix your issue?
Old 10-03-2012, 04:42 PM
New User

escape alarm issue

Skally-wag,

After a half dozen emails with the dealership's customer relations guru we came to a 50/50 agreement on the cost to replace the rear door latch. It's been a week now and the alarm has not gone off since. For me now it is just wait and see. Good Luck
Old 07-24-2013, 09:21 PM
New User

Did you fix your problem with the replacement of the rear door latch? I am still having issues, off and on.. Sometimes I can go for months everything is working fine.. Then it just starts up again.. ARGH...
I can't seem to get it to do it when I can take it in to the dealer to have them check it out..
Old 07-28-2013, 12:56 PM
New User

Skally-wag

I am still not confident enough to say the problem has been resolved. After six months passed with no alarm going off I had two random occurrences that occurred about ten days apart. I took it back to the dealer and explained my past problems and they did another test with their scanning device. The result was the scan showed no occurrences of the alarm being activated. Thankfully, because of my past issues, they waived the fee for the scan and I made sure they noted in their records that I was there in case I have another issue with their one year guarantee on the part.

A few weeks later the Escape alarm began going off again more frequently. My family began to keep notes on the time of day that we would hear it. We were getting an average of two a week for about six weeks. Random times, day and night, totally unrelated to the car being used that day or not.

I then went back to the dealership and via another scan I was told that the hood switch was causing the alarm problem and it needed to be replaced. It was a much cheaper part than the door latch, I believe ~$70. It was replaced three weeks ago and I have not heard an alarm since.

My skepticism comes from the fact that when I began having this problem a few years ago and the dealership did a scan, I was shown the printout of the report by the service manager that listed about ten times that the alarm had gone off due to the rear door latch. This time, I was not shown a written report, and when I asked to see it the newer service adviser stated that the scan tool cannot print out such a report???? It only shows them a code for the problem.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:50 PM
New User

daj800 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am having the exact same problem on my 05 Escape--door ajar light is on though all the doors are shut tight, and the alarm sounds intermittently for about 45 seconds or so then quits while the car is parked. Because it would quit by itself I thought the problem was with a neighbor's new Escape, but it is mine that is having the issue. Sometimes I've come out of a store and the lights are blinking without any alarm sound. Anyone have any new tips before I see the dealer and spend a lot of money? Thx.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:01 AM
Elder User

Dan Robertson is starting off with a positive reputation.
Our 05 was doing the same thing but only when parked in our own drive way. We don't use is very often as it is a spare vehicle. There didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to when the alarm would sound and the lights would flash. Sometimes it would go weeks w/o an activation and sometimes just a few minutes. The problem ended up being our cat playing with the key fob and pressing the panic button. We moved the keys and solved the problem.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:57 AM
New User

I have looked at the sensitive key fob thing before, but that is definitely not what's happening now in my case. My mechanic will look at it in a day or so, hopefully he can solve the issue.

I've had some other problems in the past year related to various sensors failiing on the Escape. It's rather disappointing.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:52 PM
New User

Good news--my mechanic located a shorted wire going to the rear window. Replacing that has apparently fixed the problem and only cost me $128.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:02 PM
New User

Alarm going off again

About 2 weeks ago the alarm went off just after midnight. That alarm is quite loud when the windows are open. Thankfully, I still sleep with the key fob on my nightstand. Unlocked the 05 Escape then locked it. Was startled out of sleep again a half hour later.

Then in the past week there were 5 more instances of the alarm going off. During the day and night, Still quite random.

It also doesn't matter whether I use the key fob to lock it or manually lock.

I guess the dealership gets to take more of my money .
Old 10-01-2013, 06:05 PM
New User

About 2 weeks ago the alarm went off just after midnight. That alarm is quite loud when the windows are open. Thankfully, I still sleep with the key fob on my nightstand. Unlocked the 05 Escape then locked it. Was startled out of sleep again a half hour later.

Then in the past week there were 5 more instances of the alarm going off. During the day and night, Still quite random.

It also doesn't matter whether I use the key fob to lock it or manually lock.

I guess the dealership gets to take more of my money .
Old 10-02-2013, 04:56 PM
New User

News from my latest trip to the dealership. It's UNBELIEVEABLE

The latest report from their scan tool states that the problem lies with BOTH front door latches. The driver's door activated the alarm two times and the passenger door 6 times.

REALLY??

I am supposed to believe this. There are what, maybe six or seven points that would activate the alarm? The 4 doors, the hood and the rear liftgate, the seventh maybe being the glass window on the liftgate. If I would replace these two front door latches then that would mean I would have replaced three of the door latches and the hood sensor. And the one door latch was replaced twice, and it was the one that is the least used on a vehicle, passenger side rear door. This is just crazy.

I could almost believe this if I had 100,000 miles on this Escape. But there is only 38,000 miles on it. Obviously, it doesn't get used that often.