Sponsored by:

Off-road worthiness of the F-150 Lariat and Expy

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 01:05 PM
tonycan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Off-road worthiness of the F-150 Lariat and Expy

I recently came back from an off-road trek with the Land Rover club using my 2000 F-150 Lariat. I would like to find out from the experienced whether they feel the F-150 Lariat and Expedition can keep us with Land Rovers in rough to very rough off-roading.
Comfort is a million times better in a Ford but I would like to be able to go where the rovers go.
What can I do to the F-150 and Expy to make it more off-road worthy.
Thanks for your replies.

Old 05-15-2003, 02:00 PM
nbaff
Senior User

Do you have a lift or big tires? That would be the first thing that I would do if I were trying to keep up with the land rovers. Then after that you will need gears and lockers. to keep that lovely Highway driving that you seem to like so much in your truck go with selectable lockers such as the ARB, OX or Detriot Electrax. With 35's you will be able to hang with most everything out their but stay way from the rocks. Also might want to look into some rocker gaurds not smittybuilt but some real rocker gaurds that will handle a beating and a winch/winch bumper will also help alot.
nick

Old 05-15-2003, 02:47 PM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't rag on em' though, Land Rover is still a Ford.

Old 05-15-2003, 08:31 PM
steve83
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Look at the trail ride photos in my sig link. I go with a few Discovery IIs every now & then, and I usually blaze the trails for THEM.

Start with the basics - good all-terrain tires around 33"; delete some of the low-hanging parts; balance out your weight front-to-rear; real bumpers; and most importantly: know your truck & how it drives. If you know the line to take, you can go almost anywhere, but you also have to know when to go AROUND...

Old 05-16-2003, 05:12 AM
tonycan
New User

Thanks for info nbaff, looked into the ARBs for the lockers. DOes this mean that the F-150 doesn't as yet come with the diff locks? WHich means that even in 4 low the left and right wheels are not locked? Can I buy the kit and have a Ford dealer install it?

Thanks for the advice steve83, I do have A/Ts on my Lariat but still have to buy a set for the XP. Would you recommend Goodyear Wrangler A/Ts?

Good looking Broncos, used to have one and regret selling the BroncoII.

Thanks

Old 05-16-2003, 12:12 PM
steve83
Post Fiend

Originally posted by tonycan
Would you recommend Goodyear Wrangler A/Ts?
I'd recommend you stay as far from Wranglers as you can. Consumer Reports rated them the worst (in ALL aspects except wet traction, where they came in ALMOST worst) and most expen$ive light-truck tire on the market for several years running. I like Michelin LTX & Bridgestone Dueler for what I do. Right now I'm on Dueler ATs, but they just came out with a new, slightly more aggressive tread that looks even better.

Old 05-16-2003, 07:17 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend

> whether they feel the F-150 Lariat and Expedition
> can keep us with Land Rovers in rough to very
> rough off-roading.

Not unless you want to spend some serious money. The thing is both your vehicles are much larger in wheelbase, width, turning radius, and probably weight than a Land Rover. A modified BII or early Bronco would be ideal.

Without serious money, I would try running 34x10.50x15 mud tires ($130 x 5=$700 +/-) with a body lift ($100) and a locker ($500) in the rear to start for your stock? 2000 F-150. I would start with the locker because that can make up for many short comings. Especially the IFS.

Or you could buy a $3-$4000 1985/86 BII that someone has put a Dana 44/Ford 9 inch/302/T5 into and you would be golden and rule out of the box.

I guess it all comes down to money. I would love to take my 1971 F-100 4x4ing this weekend through muddy GA trails up to my doors. I just need $3000 more to get it ready after already spending $3000+ in parts just reviving it

It just comes down to if you want to play you have to pay, one way or another.

Old 05-16-2003, 09:56 PM
fordmudrunner2020
Senior User

For Tires BFG All T or Mud T or if you don't drive on the road much and want the best tire Super Swamper Bogger

Old 05-17-2003, 09:49 AM
tonycan
New User

Thanks for the tips on the tires. BFG is not represented in the Philippines but they sell Michelins and Bridgestones here. Between the two which ones would you recommend?

Old 05-17-2003, 10:43 AM
nbaff
Senior User

tony,
about the diff locks. you are right i don't think that the f-150 comes with a diff lock in it from the factory. as for the arb air locker i don't think that the dealer would install that. if you have a good shop around i think that they should be able to do it. from what i have read and heard it is a rather difficult locker to put in. I am sure that those rover buddies of yours know a place to have it in stalled. as for tires. that is a personal choice. it all depends on what you want to do with the truck. if it is a 2000 i am sure that you will be wanting to take in on the highway more often than not. so i would def. go all-terrian unless you have money just laying around then go mud terrian and replace them as need be. one last option, if you are drowning in money, is just buy two sets of tires and off road in one and then drive on the others. I pesonally would go with Michelins the Xml j/k but i would rather go with the michelins. just find what you like a wheel it.

Old 05-17-2003, 09:21 PM
steve83
Post Fiend

The Rover guys that I ride with are technicians at the local dealership, and they install ARBs in customers' vehicles all the time. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Old 05-18-2003, 11:25 AM
nbaff
Senior User

do ARB's void any warrenties? if they do i didn't think that a dealership would do things that void warrenties. just a thought

Old 05-19-2003, 12:50 AM
steve83
Post Fiend

That varies by the dealer you ask or take it to for warranty work, but read the warranty manual that came with your truck.

Old 05-21-2003, 12:59 AM
bronco351
Posting Guru

Originally posted by MustangGT221
Can't rag on em' though, Land Rover is still a Ford.
Actually, it is not a Ford. The Ford Motor Company only holds the ownership of the compnay. It is still made from 100% Land Rover parts!! I think those Land Rovers are a BIG piece of CRAP!!!

Old 05-21-2003, 05:10 PM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by bronco351
Actually, it is not a Ford. The Ford Motor Company only holds the ownership of the compnay. It is still made from 100% Land Rover parts!! I think those Land Rovers are a BIG piece of CRAP!!!

Um, if Ford holds ownership of the company, that means it is a Ford but the product is under a different name. It's not a "Ford" piece, it's a "Range Rover" piece. However, Ford owns Range Rover. It's just a different branch of the company. Same goes with Lincoln, Mercury, Aston Martin, Jaguar, Volvo, Mazda etc etc.

Quick Reply: Off-road worthiness of the F-150 Lariat and Expy