Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

dual aluminum rims?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 02:19 PM
Rocketattack
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dual aluminum rims?

Can we run dual aluminum rims on our trucks? I have a '94 F350 CC dually. I had bought a set of tires and Firestone damaged my rims. I made them buy me new rims, center caps and lugnuts. They were going to keep my rims until I not so politely told them to put my damaged rims in the bed of the truck and I drove away with new tires and rims and my damaged rims. The rims are only dented from the tire changing machines expanding fingers. The dents can be buffed out. They're more like deep scratches. Anyway would I have to get longer studs or longer lugnuts?

Old 09-03-2012, 04:07 PM
Otahyoni
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You have to run a steel inner because the 4 centering tabs aren't long enough to center the outter wheel with an aluminum inner.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:09 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I dont understand. Are you asking if the wheels that were on your truck will fit your truck???

Old 09-04-2012, 06:34 AM
Rocketattack
Senior User
I am asking can we run dual aluminum rims on our duallies? I've had my rims off before and only see one centering pin coming off the drum. The eagle aluminum rims that I own have only one extra hole in them for this pin.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:48 AM
mistakenID
Posting Guru
No idea on Ford duel's but on semi's that originally had steel wheels, unless you change the studs to longer ones you could only run 1 aluminum. Studs were not long enough to go through both aluminum wheels and still fit the lug nut.

Just something to check I guess.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:05 AM
camp nh
Senior User
The other problem is that running 2 aluminum rims hey can fuse together and not separate from road grime and salt. I have 4 aluminum rims and 2 steel rims on 01 F350 dually.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:08 PM
38Chevy454
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
At minimum you need longer studs. But the reason most use the steel inner is because you do not really see it. Why pay money for something not seen? The width of the alum wheel flange will need longer studs for two. If your wheels are lug centric, then your idea will not work. Lug centric wheels have clearance around the lug holes and center using the tapered seat. The wheel put backward will not have the tapered seat. The inner wheel relies on hub centric mounting.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:39 PM
Psychowolff1
Freshman User
I have an 86 F350 with 16" duallys on it that are hub centric and the washer lugnuts.

I also have an 84 E350 RV with 16.5" lug centric rims on it.

I'd like to swap the truck rims to the RV and the local dealership said I could, just make sure the lugnuts go with the rims. BUT I was checking them out last night and the Truck rims have a small num inside the rim that keeps it from seating on the RV. I ground it off and it seats fine. I put the 16.5" on the truck and it will not seat all the way due to the center hole being too small on the rim.

Is the Dealership wrong in saying I can use the 16" hub centric rims on my RV? I don't see how the rims will be centered on the axle without either the lugnuts or hub making sure it is centered exactly.

Thanks Guys!

Old 09-27-2015, 02:01 AM
bart f-350
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I know this is a elderly post, but nevertheless.

You HAVE to run a steel inner rim!!!!!!!!!!

Because two aluminium flanges together, under pressure from the wheel studs/nuts and all the movement from the wheels itself, cause wear/fusing to the two flanges, thereby undooing the wheelnuts, running loose and coming off.

You imagine the situation you will find yourself in?

just don't run an aluminium inner rim on the rear axle, for your own sake.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:16 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,100 Likes on 2,162 Posts
Originally Posted by Psychowolff1
I have an 86 F350 with 16" duallys on it that are hub centric and the washer lugnuts.

I also have an 84 E350 RV with 16.5" lug centric rims on it.

I'd like to swap the truck rims to the RV and the local dealership said I could, just make sure the lugnuts go with the rims. BUT I was checking them out last night and the Truck rims have a small num inside the rim that keeps it from seating on the RV. I ground it off and it seats fine. I put the 16.5" on the truck and it will not seat all the way due to the center hole being too small on the rim.

Is the Dealership wrong in saying I can use the 16" hub centric rims on my RV? I don't see how the rims will be centered on the axle without either the lugnuts or hub making sure it is centered exactly.

Thanks Guys!
the 16.5 rims on the RV are not ford rims, they are aftermarket rims.
and most of the aftermarket 16.5 rims have the smaller chevy center hole. you had to specify the rims were going on a ford to get the larger center hole 16.5 rims.