Notices
Modular V10 (6.8l)  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

early 99 v10 stutter/miss, no codes

Old 09-01-2012, 12:44 PM
jeffdoerr
Elder User
jeffdoerr is starting off with a positive reputation.
early 99 v10 stutter/miss, no codes

got an early 99 v10 (2v for those of you who are going to ask me) manual trans truck with about 150k on it. Air filter, oil filter, fuel filter, plugs and boots recently changed, still sputters, worse when damp or raining, almost to the point of un-driveable. No diag codes present, no CEL. Had 2 relativly decent mechanics look at it and 1 pretty good shop check it out. No luck. Best answer I got so far was to run injector cleaner, heavy, and drive the snot out of it. Suspected COP issue and swapped in some new ones and again swapped new ones around to other bank. No change in results.

My problem is, its a michigan truck (rusty) and its a v10. This means, to me, that its not worth sticking a bunch of money into, or tossing excessive diagnostic money at. I know some of you guys are willing to toss thousands into a turd, but I am realistic and just wont spend that kind of money on this old and crappy of a truck.

nutshell: misses between 1000-2000 rpm, feels like maybe 2-5 cylinders at a time, Runs pretty good at 3000 and over, idles good. Starts good, no smoke, no ticks. Very well maintained mechanically, synthetic oil for sure the last half of its life (with frequent changes). 50/50 work life. Pulled GN trailer some days but more of a commuter truck when driving big heavy trucks was in fashion. After running copious amounts of injector cleaner through the gas tank, it seems to run better, BUT, its also been very dry here. Anyways, the miss is still obvious and present, otherwise I would not be posting this plea for others related experiences.

Looking for real, sound, proven advice. Please save the non-chalant comments for somebody else.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:22 PM
jh818
Postmaster
jh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputation
You may be getting water down in your plugs causing misfires. Check out this link in the Excursion section.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...s-the-fix.html

Old 09-01-2012, 08:06 PM
kbsupercrew
Senior User
kbsupercrew is starting off with a positive reputation.
when is the miss ? reving in nuetral, overdrive? accelerating? cruising- but not in overdrive?
Fuel pressure test at rail?
tried unpluging egr vacuum line and plugging and see if miss is still there?

Old 09-01-2012, 08:34 PM
jeffdoerr
Elder User
5 speed MANUAL. misses under load, light acceleration, hard acceleration, clutch pedal pressed down, in neutral, in 1st, in 2nd, in 3rd, in 4th, in 5th.

Will try EGR bypass and report.

Thanks.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:25 PM
mikeismadness
Posting Guru
mikeismadness has a good reputation on FTE.mikeismadness has a good reputation on FTE.mikeismadness has a good reputation on FTE.
Some have found synthetic to not be the greatest for modular motors. Something about clogs in the head...cant remember for sure. I just use dino oil. Id start with a cheaper maintenance item like MAF clean and cleaning the throttle body. My V10 had a slight hiccup at idle and a hesiation when you gave it some gas. And doing those couple of things helped tremendously in how the truck idled and ran. Did they check for pending codes?

Not trying to be rude, but coming into this forum with the attitude you seem to have had won't net you some good advise.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:10 AM
jerem0621
Senior User
jerem0621 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jerem0621 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I had the same issue,

Turned out to be many bad coils. The miss was most pronounced under load about 40 mph, felt like someone was hitting the truck it was missing so bad.

I bout 10 new coils from uneekauto through their ebay store. All my miss issues have gone away and the truck runs great. Oh, 10 Uneek coils ran me $99.00.

Yeah, If a few hundred $$ to make it run like new is too much and make you want to dump the truck then by all means do what you think is right.

I don't read about too many "thousand's of $$" threads around here. Most consist of a few hundred $$ exhaust system, a few hundred $$ tuner, solid maintenance and thats about it. 150k miles for that v10 is just getting broke in. It should be good for at least another100-200k. Yeah, the motor will probably outlast the truck.

Thanks!

Old 09-03-2012, 01:13 PM
Wolfboro
Elder User
Wolfboro is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Have you checked the PCV hoses (especially the 90 degree elbow at throttle , passenger side ) see if any crack anywhere(including the second hose , driver side ) and make sure they have tight fit on engine cover. Good luck

Old 09-03-2012, 07:33 PM
mikeismadness
Posting Guru
mikeismadness has a good reputation on FTE.mikeismadness has a good reputation on FTE.mikeismadness has a good reputation on FTE.
I completely agree with jerem0621. These V10s do everything the diesel can. Putting in a few hundred would be well worth your investment in time and money.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:59 PM
jeffdoerr
Elder User
lets get this clear here. this is NOT A V10 vs DIESEL thread. Drop it. I am neither promoting nor demeaning either platform. I just need information to fix a problem.

I disconnected the EGR, still have the same results. I dont think its a PCV or EGR issue. I am really leaning on the bad coils. The problem I am facing is the person that recently (2 years ago....) did the work is demanding that is not the problem and will not change the parts, even if I offer to pay him.

Back again to the "not putting lots of $$" in this turd. I have another truck I can use for that special day every so often that I need a truck, it just comes with a bit of hassle. and its a dodge.

Is there a fairly fool-proof and simple way to check for proper coil operation ?

I would like to take care of some of the time consuming process before I return the truck to the shop and demand they change the COPs.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:13 PM
jh818
Postmaster
jh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputation
While it's idling, disconnect the harness to the coil one coil at a time and see if the idle changes. If it does, then that coil is good. Go to the next one until there is no change. That would be the bad one. Replace with a good one.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:27 AM
mikeismadness
Posting Guru
I'd do the method above
If you find a bad coil, I only suggest replacing with motor craft. Some have found bad results with other brands.

Old 06-17-2019, 11:18 AM
Marty Lavender
New User
Marty Lavender is starting off with a positive reputation.
How did you diagnose the coils if you don't mind me asking? My 2000 with 200k miles just started acting like this this weekend. Stutters hard between 1200-2000 steady rpms. With overdrive off and higher rpms it all but went away. Thanks

Old 06-17-2019, 11:36 AM
jh818
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Marty Lavender View Post
How did you diagnose the coils if you don't mind me asking? My 2000 with 200k miles just started acting like this this weekend. Stutters hard between 1200-2000 steady rpms. With overdrive off and higher rpms it all but went away. Thanks
Are you getting any codes?

First you want to make sure no water got into the spark plug/coil opening. Pull each coil and boot and inspect the boot for any cracks in the rubber cause a short.

If all boots look good and holes are dry, get a good Motorcraft coil and replace one coil at a time with the good one to see if it improves. Hopefully your first one you do works instead of the 10th one.

If that fails, then it may be the spark plug or injector.

I'm going through the same issue with my '01 Toyota 4Runner spitting raw fuel and white smoke out the tailpipe and I am suspecting it's the injector after replacing the coil and spark plug not correcting the problem.

Good luck.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:08 AM
rock2610d
Posting Guru
rock2610d is a name known to allrock2610d is a name known to allrock2610d is a name known to allrock2610d is a name known to allrock2610d is a name known to allrock2610d is a name known to all
When you say no codes you are saying no check engine light or you hooked up a scanner that can read codes?

If you have a good scanner it will tell you which cylinders have what amount of misfire counts.

I suggest a free torque pro app and a obd2 blue tooth adapter. $20 total will tell you what is going on.

Old 06-21-2019, 01:05 AM
R&T Babich
Posting Guru
R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by rock2610d View Post
When you say no codes you are saying no check engine light or you hooked up a scanner that can read codes?
If you have a good scanner it will tell you which cylinders have what amount of misfire counts.
I suggest a free torque pro app and a obd2 blue tooth adapter. $20 total will tell you what is going on.
X2 on the question.
A lot of misfires will occur before a code gets set.
I would get an OBDII adapter and Forscan software to look for misfires in the raw data.
The adapters are under $40 and the software is free.
The adapters and Torque Pro can be used on most all vehicles since 2000+, so useful for your future/other cars, too.
Forscan is tailored for Fords.
Once you definitely narrow down any issue to specific cylinders then you can try swapping parts and get results.
Get a Denso (or Motorcraft) for troubleshooting a COP, Rock Auto - $24, ebay - $27.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: early 99 v10 stutter/miss, no codes

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.