Missouri Chapter Join Chapter , Leader:77&79F250

September MO Chapter chat/bs/general nonsense thread...all are welcome!

Old 09-01-2012, 04:51 PM
earthquake68
Hotshot
Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by vloney
I've had several engine jobs back to back. 07 e450 bus that the driver was sure the water wasn't that high. 2 military 08 f350 ambulances for 6.4 diesel motors. After the last one, the first one came back with a DTC for volume control valve circuit too low (high pressure fuel pump cover gasket wires shorted out). They had this problem when they first were introduced (6.4s) so, they made a redesigned gasket with convolute on the wires. Unfortunately, this WAS a redesigned one. Cab has to be lifted to change it.
You can have all the new diesels to work on. I'll stick to rusty old hotrods.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:58 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by earthquake68
You can have all the new diesels to work on. I'll stick to rusty old hotrods.
Dont get to see many of those any more. Guy came in a while back with an old chevvy needing a tuneup. Took all of us by suprise. Had to search the memory banks for how to set the points.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:27 PM
earthquake68
Hotshot
Aww heck, that's easy. I bet I even have a dwell meter floating around!

I'm continually shocked at how many people can't tune a carburetor anymore. (no offense to anyone here) This was commonplace 20 years ago. *sigh* I guess I'm just getting old.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:52 PM
cyclopsblown34
Lead Driver
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Aww heck, that's easy. I bet I even have a dwell meter floating around!

I'm continually shocked at how many people can't tune a carburetor anymore. (no offense to anyone here) This was commonplace 20 years ago. *sigh* I guess I'm just getting old.
They don't teach it in tech school. One of my friend's dad has a 67 SS396 convertible, 4 speed Chevelle and it was running fat as a pig, Nut's had just graduated from tech school and when I asked why he was letting it run like that, he said they don't tech about carburetion any more. The choke was stuck about halfway open, what a shame they don't teach it any more. On the flip side, I just know enough about fuel injection to dig myself a deep hole when working on it.

Alan, I hope like heck you sell the Impala, that Chevelle sounds like a kick **** parts car.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:21 PM
j20owner
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I'm now the proud owner of a LS engine!

It's dirty and I need to tear it down to throw bearings and rings in it and screw it all back together.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:51 PM
earthquake68
Hotshot
Woof! Looks like you have your work cut out. Are you going to convert it to carburetor, or keep the injection?

Old 09-01-2012, 08:59 PM
whiskey runner
Lead Driver
Received 189 Likes on 173 Posts
wow turn my back for a minute and we are already on page 2..... i can barely spell LS6 let alone work on one..... like i keep telling people i dont work on anything above a 1970..ha ha ha ha ...i wish

Old 09-01-2012, 11:01 PM
j20owner
Elder User
Woof! Looks like you have your work cut out. Are you going to convert it to carburetor, or keep the injection?

Oh no, it's staying injected. These are my bread and butter! I work on them daily. I have more parts for it, but it's complicated. Part of the deal of getting this thing for free is that I don't get any of the accessories or intake. I've already got a water pump, power steering pump, A/C compressor, injectors(2 sets), fuel rail, and throttle body. I need to source the alt/power steering pump bracket($30 on ebay/craigslist), intake($50 on ebay/ls1tech.com), A/C bracket($20 on ls1tech.com), starter and alternator($$Can't remember from Car-part.com). Not really free in the long run, but hey, it's a start! Oh, I've got the pcm for it, too.

I have a harness that has 90% of the plugs I need. I'm going to completely rework the harness to place the harness differently than factory and put the pcm in a different location than normal. All I need(and I already have what I need) is the plugs at the pcm and the plugs at the sensors/injectors/coils/whatever.

I'm also going to pull both heads and clean them up. I'm going to pull the pan and at minimum put rod and main bearings in it and maybe even re-ring it. These engines are super easy to work on.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:07 PM
tcbofade
Hotshot

Terry. Don't work too hard. Try to limit it to 12 hours a day. More than that and you'll get burned out in a hurry.
Amen to that...trouble is, I can't guarantee a time limit on either of them. I start at the posty office at 7 am, and work til I'm done.

Then I drive to the pizza place and work til 9pm "ish".

Should only be for a week or so...

Originally Posted by 1OldFordMan
Howdy Misery. I is FINALLY back.
Good to hear from you!

Originally Posted by vloney
I've had several engine jobs back to back. 07 e450 bus that the driver was sure the water wasn't that high...
LOL! Been there, done that...

Howdy, Vince.

Originally Posted by whiskey runner
wow turn my back for a minute and we are already on page 2.....
I understand!

Old 09-02-2012, 12:58 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,279 Likes on 2,437 Posts
Wow boys, great to hear from some "not so regular on here" folks. Glad to hear everyone is doing well and staying busy and finding the parts needed.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:42 AM
whiskey runner
Lead Driver
Received 189 Likes on 173 Posts
good morning missouri..like rich said.. good to hear from so many "strange folks" you know who you are

Old 09-02-2012, 07:08 AM
earthquake68
Hotshot
Good Morning Everybody!

Well RC, I'm about as strange as they come.

I think I lost my mind this morning. I woke up and thought to myself, "I want to go on a run today." I made it just over a mile out before I turned around, ....so, ...say about 2 1/2 miles today before 0700? My body isn't used to this. I'm gonna try to get back in shape so when the cold weather hits, I may still be able to walk. ...here's hoping.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:37 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Go for a run....... I get winded walking to the truck. Skinny people die too!
All that and coffee.
Mornen boy's..................... Terry!
Nothing new around here fellers. Well I guess that isn't true
Shari has had plans to go to a siminar, for work to keep some of her certifications current, and a new one also. We were hoping her and a friends of mine's wife could go together, their great friends. But she can't get off of work (That four letter word again). Shari didn't want to fly or drive by herself so we're taking a little un-planned vacation in a couple of weeks.
Already have a place reserved in Stuart Florida for four night's, right on the water, even comes with a 24' Key West boat for a little extra money.
Then she found out that the job in North Carolina is opening up soon, and they may want to see her for an interview. So we're driving north and gonna kill a day or two in NC. Then a night in Tenn in the smokey mountains on the way home.
And Tim turned 18 this last wednesday. Wow I guess I just sprouted another white hair on the chin.

But really nothing going on????

Unk Bob

Old 09-02-2012, 07:38 AM
BORDERBUM
Logistics Pro
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Heck, I just got off work, but it was all overtime!! Had one heck of a night in the ER. 4 fights, im tired, but I got to do some moving of cars, so I can get to my trailer. If I can get Big Red on the trailer today without damaging the trailer im good!! Lol.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:14 AM
BORDERBUM
Logistics Pro
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Rich, there were so many good parts out there at that Humansville Junk yard. how much do you think they want for a tailgate? I need some more stuff, but wonder if it would be a good deal out there? Thanks, Jeff

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: September MO Chapter chat/bs/general nonsense thread...all are welcome!