6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

New engine in, dpf gone..WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 02:32 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 82 Likes on 16 Posts
New engine in, dpf gone..WOW!

Finally after being down for about 7 weeks, our Med unit came back to us yesterday, for only a short time though. For those that remember, the oil cooler put coolant in the engine and ruined every bearing in it. It was an '08 F450. THe engine was replaced with a brand new '10 6.4 complete engine. While the engine was being replaced, somehow the DPF fell off!! An H&S dpf delete program was installed with no horsepower increase. Just to disable the DPF. The truck is awesome! The engine runs much more freely...It is still learning to shift again, but my oh my at the difference! The truck spools much quicker, accelerates better and sounds different. It now has a slight 'rumble' at the exhaust tip. A lot smoother running than the other, although I attribute most of that to the delete. Only one problem though, the Air Filter Minder keeps getting tripped. Anyone else out there have this problem after a delete???? I changed air filters yesterday and put in another Wix filter. I know, I know, but that is all the county will buy. But it made no difference. The truck pulls very strong up through 90+ until I let off. Top speed is going to have to be lowered back down for safety. After 85mph, the minder trips and also getting on it at wide open throttle on launch. Takes about 3 WOT launches to trip it, but only once over 85 to trip it. Do you guys have any suggestions? The mechanic is calling H&S to see what they recommend, just thought I'd ask you guys since a lot of you are deleted. Really makes me want to delete my '10 F350 with 17K miles on it! Still smiling at the difference with it being deleted!! I will hate to see her put up as a spare unit, as our new Freightliner comes back in a week after warranty work

Old 08-30-2012, 09:26 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Huh...surprises me to see a fleet vehicle modified like this. But I guess in your line of work reliability is important and that's one less thing that can go wrong.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:58 PM
CountryAggie
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm surprised a "stock power" setting pops the filter minder. I know on the high HP tunes I popped my stock one. Only real way to fix it is get an AFE or S&B intake (or be lighter on the throttle). Tuned these trucks move A LOT of air. That's why its popping the sensor.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:10 PM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably the weight doing it.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:47 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Crazy001
Huh...surprises me to see a fleet vehicle modified like this. But I guess in your line of work reliability is important and that's one less thing that can go wrong.
There are several services that I know of that have done the same thing to the 6.4s. Most, after being bitten by the head gaskets of the 6.0s, went with studs and EGR deletes. You are correct, you have to have a reliable vehicle when someone's life is in your hands. This truck has shut down on trips to the ER when the EGT sensor went bad, low pressure fuel pump quit, broken rocker arm and when the front cover let go with the cavitation that we've all heard about. 2 of the 4, we were running 'hot' to the ER when the truck shut down, so yeah, we are trying to make them as reliable as possible, but unexpected things do happen.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:23 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Congrats. Look forward to how the unit holds up now with the delete.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:16 AM
R-T0r21on
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The filter minder was changed sometime after the job 1 trucks. I ended up replacing mine too for the same reason. You may want to check that out.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:45 AM
cmalley12
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im running an sct with idp tunes.....Mine was doing the same thing....i changed the filter minder and havent had a problem since!

Old 08-31-2012, 04:01 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Thanks guys! I called my dealer and there are 2 different part numbers for '08 trucks. The newest number is the same as on the '10s, so I ordered one and it will be here Tuesday. Will try it out. Thanks again!

Old 08-31-2012, 06:09 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am by no means a Wix hater, I use them on our 6.4L BUT I was getting the same problem with a nearly new filter. Went back to a Ford filter and the minder never gave me another issue.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:03 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
wow, im surprised you would do this in a municipal vehicle?

Old 08-31-2012, 07:44 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Slowmans, I had been trying to get them to do something since we had trouble with the rocker arms. Every time the oil was changed, MUCH more oil came out of it than was supposed to be in there. WE know about 'growing' or 'making' oil and how it is done, but trying to all that work in that truck not to shut it down during a regen was impossible. After you've been running all day, it's hard to run the truck another 12 miles or so when it's 3 a.m.. None of them own a 6.4, so it's not a big deal to them. The Fords should be like our new Freightliners that you can do a regen in park at the station while the truck is being washed or checked off. They even tell you when a regen is needed so you can do that. A very nice item indeed!
These truck are expensive(around $130-$150K), and with budget cuts we have to make them last and be as reliable as possible. Lots of services are having to what they can to make them last until(or if) things turn around. We have 2 year old trucks with 130k miles on them, like I said something had to be done for their longevity.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:00 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by golfmedik
Slowmans, I had been trying to get them to do something since we had trouble with the rocker arms. Every time the oil was changed, MUCH more oil came out of it than was supposed to be in there. WE know about 'growing' or 'making' oil and how it is done, but trying to all that work in that truck not to shut it down during a regen was impossible. After you've been running all day, it's hard to run the truck another 12 miles or so when it's 3 a.m.. None of them own a 6.4, so it's not a big deal to them. The Fords should be like our new Freightliners that you can do a regen in park at the station while the truck is being washed or checked off. They even tell you when a regen is needed so you can do that. A very nice item indeed!
These truck are expensive(around $130-$150K), and with budget cuts we have to make them last and be as reliable as possible. Lots of services are having to what they can to make them last until(or if) things turn around. We have 2 year old trucks with 130k miles on them, like I said something had to be done for their longevity.
I hear ya buddy, Im deleted and tuned........im just saying........I dont blame ya one bit!

Old 09-01-2012, 01:24 AM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford F'd this truck up. I truly believe they finally figured most of it out in the 2011 but its too late for me. I just cant justify paying another 60,000 for a truck when I can just take all of their BS off and be okay with a 60,000 dollar investment. That is until I get inspected. Now if I can just figure out a way to marry the 6 speed tranny up with the 6.4 I would be happy. My brother in law is stock on his 6.7 and can pull just fine in regen up the pass compared to my 6.4. My 6.4 was a turd in regen mode which is why i pulled the DPF off. Kinda wish I would have switched to another brand quite honestly or waited. At least they are not as bad as the 6.0 liters.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:45 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by jasfaa
Ford F'd this truck up. I truly believe they finally figured most of it out in the 2011 but its too late for me. I just cant justify paying another 60,000 for a truck when I can just take all of their BS off and be okay with a 60,000 dollar investment. That is until I get inspected. Now if I can just figure out a way to marry the 6 speed tranny up with the 6.4 I would be happy. My brother in law is stock on his 6.7 and can pull just fine in regen up the pass compared to my 6.4. My 6.4 was a turd in regen mode which is why i pulled the DPF off. Kinda wish I would have switched to another brand quite honestly or waited. At least they are not as bad as the 6.0 liters.
We may not be able to get a 6 speed in ours, but there are companies working on getting us the paddle shifter for our 5 speeds. To me, that would help. I also own a Chevy 8.1L CC DRW 4WD with the Allison tranny. Through Fleece Performance, for around $500 you can get a new TCM and replacement shifter that allows you to manually shift the truck. I hear that they, and another company are working on one for the older Fords. Wouldn't that be nice, even though we don't have the 6 speed?!

Quick Reply: New engine in, dpf gone..WOW!