2011 to 2019 Explorer Discuss the 2011 to 2019 Explorer

Inputs on 2013 Explorer

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 09:15 PM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Inputs on 2013 Explorer

If all goes well the next few days, I'll be going after a 2013 Explorer this weekend. I have two questions and would love to hear folk's feedback on options to get or pass on...

Q1 - Can you chain-up the Explorer with 20" rims? I remember the SD manual says no chains with the stock 20" rims (at some point it did at least).
Q2 - Has anyone driven both the 18" and 20" rim models and can comment on the difference (particularly road noise). I love the look of the 20's, but know the 18's will ride better and (likely) be quieter.

After researching online, I want an XLT AWD with the 202A (leather, Sync, heated seats, rear camera, etc.) option, roof rack and trailer tow package. Maybe 20" rims, but definitely not the sun roof. I also don't want all the "automated" stuff that comes with the Limited. If I can't find what I want, I'll probably just order it and try to be patient

What do folks recommend?

Old 08-29-2012, 05:29 PM
onug
Postmaster
No one can chime in here?

Old 08-29-2012, 07:49 PM
slc10844
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a Limited with the 301A package. Ride with the 20s is a little firm but not objectionable. Handles great. Hankook tires are quiet. I wouldn't try chains. Had mine for less than a month and still getting use to the gadgets. IMO, once you get use to them will be hard to go back to something less. Test drive both the XLT and the Limited. I looked at both.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:59 PM
onug
Postmaster
Thanks for the feedback…I did some feature comparison tonight and I'm leaning towards a Limited now. I can't find any with the "base" option package, but there is one near me with the 301A that I'm going to check out. Hopefully the 20" rims don't provide a stiffer ride than my F-350!

Old 08-30-2012, 04:15 AM
slc10844
Posting Guru
I had both an f250 and f150. They are not in the same league as the Explorer. You'll be impressed with the difference. Like you, I started out with intentions of buying a XLT with options I wanted and no sun roof. Once your in a Limited you don't want to get out. Good luck on your purchase.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:00 AM
onug
Postmaster
I'm finding that every single Limited in my area has the roof. So I either need to accept the hole or go back to the XLT...or order what I want.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:35 PM
slc10844
Posting Guru
Salesman told me its hard to find a Limited without a sun roof. Just starting to use mine a little and I can see some advantage to having one.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:27 AM
onug
Postmaster
I had a dealership do a search tonight. They found one Limited "basic", but in AK. They found another Limited w/o the sun roof…in OR. Lame.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:17 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
I wish I knew the answer on the chains but I can't find anything definitive.

On another note, we've got 20" wheels on the Taurus we just bought and after test driving a model with the 19" wheels, I really can't tell any difference in ride. It rides great with both versions.

I'm really confused with the ordering process. Some dealers have told me that Ford allocates a certain amount of their inventory and they're forced to take a certain amount of vehicles that were produced and spec'd by Ford specifically for dealer inventory. They've said that they can easily order a vehicle for a "sold order" for a customer but when it comes to actually ordering their stock, Ford only allows them so many vehicle orders per model year unless they sell off the Ford stock they've been sent also.

I guess Ford manufactures these and specs them in order to sell what they deem as "in demand" for each market or what will net the most profits.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:26 PM
onug
Postmaster
Well, we now own a 2013 Explorer! I wasn't happy to let the F-350 go…but it was the right thing to do. I can now answer my own questions.

The manual does recommend NOT using chains (of any kind) on the 20" rims. The tires that come with the 20" rims look like good rain tires (and have the M+S "rating"), but I'm not getting a good vibe from them for snow. I'll see how they do this winter and maybe find a set of stock 18" rims on CraigsList and put a nice set of snow tires on.

I ended up buying an XLT with the 20" rim upgrade. I didn't feel a noticeable difference in noise or ride quality. If anything, I'd say they're quieter than the 18" rims (different tire brands and tread patterns). The responsiveness of the steering with the lower profile rims sold me. I know I won't be happy when it comes time to get new tires, but until then I'll enjoy the ride.

I get the sense Ford asks/makes dealerships order set production runs. I went to three different dealerships and searched inventories of at least four others and they all seemed to have the same basic cars with very little variation. As for ordering, I was told it could take anywhere from four weeks to ten (or longer), they just have no way to know. So I picked from the lot inventory…

Old 09-01-2012, 07:32 PM
slc10844
Posting Guru
Congratulations on your new ride.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:08 PM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by powerstroke72
I'm really confused with the ordering process. Some dealers have told me that Ford allocates a certain amount of their inventory and they're forced to take a certain amount of vehicles that were produced and spec'd by Ford specifically for dealer inventory. They've said that they can easily order a vehicle for a "sold order" for a customer but when it comes to actually ordering their stock, Ford only allows them so many vehicle orders per model year unless they sell off the Ford stock they've been sent also.

I guess Ford manufactures these and specs them in order to sell what they deem as "in demand" for each market or what will net the most profits.
That's how it used to be. It has been quite some time since Ford has forced dealers to take vehicles for dealer stock. Ford does track trends and recommend a "Retail Series Mix" for dealer stock inventory, but dealers are not required to follow this and they do not have to order any if they do not want to. Most dealers will follow Ford's recommendations though when ordering dealer stock since it is usually fairly accurate.

Current Retail Series Mix for Explorer. This is just the overall for the vehicle. They also break it down further by PEP package for each series.

Base - 11%
XLT - 50%
Limited - 32%
Sport - 7%

Originally Posted by onug
Well, we now own a 2013 Explorer! I wasn't happy to let the F-350 go…but it was the right thing to do. I can now answer my own questions.

The manual does recommend NOT using chains (of any kind) on the 20" rims. The tires that come with the 20" rims look like good rain tires (and have the M+S "rating"), but I'm not getting a good vibe from them for snow. I'll see how they do this winter and maybe find a set of stock 18" rims on CraigsList and put a nice set of snow tires on.
Congrats on the new Explorer. Ordered mine back at the end of June and was hoping to see it some time in September, but now it's looking more like October. Maybe...

I get the same vibe as you with the tires and snow. Even though it has been said it is actually quite decent in the snow with the stock tires, it is just not quite snow ready by my standards. Winter pot holes, or should I say craters, and expensive 20" wheels with little tire sidewall were another concern so I ended up ordering a set of Explorer/Taurus 18" steel Interceptor (police) wheels and now need to decide on some sort of a dedicated snow tire or maybe even a decent A/T tire.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:33 AM
onug
Postmaster
How did you score the Intercepter rims? That's a great idea for sure. Do you have a part number by chance?

Old 09-02-2012, 12:18 PM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
How did you score the Intercepter rims? That's a great idea for sure. Do you have a part number by chance?
Wheels, lug nuts and center caps were ordered through a local Lincoln dealer. Wheels were on national backorder and took about a month to get. I will be ordering the TPMS sensors from either Amazon or RockAuto depending on who has the best price when I am ready for them.

Wheel - Ford P/N: DG1Z-1015-A
Lug Nut - Ford P/N: DG1Z-1012-A
Center Cap - Ford P/N: F87Z-1130-GB
TPMS Sensor - Motorcraft P/N: TPMS-12 / Ford P/N: 9L3Z-1A189-A

Old 09-02-2012, 08:54 PM
USAF CCM
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the feedback…I did some feature comparison tonight and I'm leaning towards a Limited now. I can't find any with the "base" option package, but there is one near me with the 301A that I'm going to check out. Hopefully the 20" rims don't provide a stiffer ride than my F-350!
Sorry I haven't been on sooner. If you haven't made an offer yet...do research online and get prices from Edmunds.com and True Car (we went thru Consumer Reports). Will two rebates our ordered Explorer listed for over $46,000...we got it for just under $42,000. Best of Success! V/r Les

KNOWLEDGE IS STRENGTH!

OOPS! See you just got one...enjoy it!

Quick Reply: Inputs on 2013 Explorer