1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Auto To Manual

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 05:39 PM
Austy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto To Manual

Hey Y'all, I have a 72 F250 camper special, 2wd, 360 v8, with a c6 tranny.

Do any of y'all know where I can find instructions or a video or something to show me how to convert to a manual trans?

Thanks - Jon

Old 08-16-2012, 01:53 AM
RichS2659
Cargo Master
Received 151 Likes on 131 Posts
Easiest way is to buy a donor truck and swap things over. Get a shop manual, the Haynes manual for 73-79, the master parts catalog from Hipoparts.com for $22.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:04 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Jon, I am sure you have a big reason for wanting to do the swap, but that C6 aint no throw away tranny. They are considered by many to be bullet proof & one of the better auto trannys ever built. I recommend rebuilding your C6 over all the work that it will take to go manual.

You will have the fun experience of the job and shifting your own gears, but a better tranny, not so much.

John

Old 08-16-2012, 09:53 AM
Austy
Junior User
I was doing an engine swap, and in the process of putting the new one in, the bell housing was damaged.

True, I have never had any problems with the tranny, except for a few leaky gaskets which I haven't fixed yet, but I figured since I'm gonna have it all apart I would at least see what my options are for the tranny.

I am an absolute newbie, everything I know I have taught myself, found out from the guys that were buying these new, or learned on ford-trucks. So I would like to not have to mess with rebuilding it.

The reason I wanted a manual was mostly just for the heck of it, but I've heard I might get a little bit better mileage with it too.

But I have seen your comments on other stuff and think you've got your head screwed on pretty straight so I'll probably take your advice.

Thanks - Jon

Old 08-16-2012, 05:45 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Thanks Jon, Bet you were installing an engine from a manual set and you didn't remove the pilot bearing from the end of the crank.

John

Old 08-16-2012, 11:54 PM
Austy
Junior User
Nah, it's auto. I just wanted a manual. (Course, I also wanted 4x4... )

Old 08-17-2012, 03:07 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Being a 3 pedal man all the way, I don't see anything wrong with your idea. I agree on the donor tuck idea. Parts you will need are the pedals, the rod and boot that go through the floor, the Z bar and brackets and the clutch adjuster rod and spring. And of course the tranny, bell housing, clutch and drive shaft.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:31 AM
Austy
Junior User
Thanks for that list Billy! You have just convinced me to keep my auto!

Old 08-17-2012, 11:32 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
I would hardly consider the swap worthwhile unless there was overdrive involved. About the only one that would be a bolt up is the T85 that was optional in those trucks. It's a 3 speed with overdrive in every gear (almost, first has a lockout you have to bypass). Cool thing on those is that you can wire the solenoid to a switch and have like a splitter making it a six speed. Also you could probably make one of the 3+OD trannys work but they are a little weak for a 390.
Nothing wrong with the C6 if you like an automatic. They do have some parasitic drag and might knock mileage down a little from a good overdrive stick but it would take quite a while to offset the cost with any realized fuel savings.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:37 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by willowbilly3
I would hardly consider the swap worthwhile unless there was overdrive involved. About the only one that would be a bolt up is the T85 that was optional in those trucks. It's a 3 speed with overdrive in every gear (almost, first has a lockout you have to bypass). Cool thing on those is that you can wire the solenoid to a switch and have like a splitter making it a six speed. Also you could probably make one of the 3+OD trannys work but they are a little weak for a 390.
Nothing wrong with the C6 if you like an automatic. They do have some parasitic drag and might knock mileage down a little from a good overdrive stick but it would take quite a while to offset the cost with any realized fuel savings.
Oh stop with the knocking of C6s. Yes I do like the C6 and an automatic. The C6 doesn't cost you any noticeable difference over a year, and no clutch pedal mashing required.

John

Old 08-18-2012, 05:04 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
But I like clutch pedal mashing John.lol. I don't think anything I said there was "knocking the C6" In fact it kind of looks like we both said basically the same thing.

Old 08-18-2012, 05:46 AM
Gouge Eye
Freshman User
Austy, I just installed an AOD in the 67.... it had a 3 gear on the floor, but after loosin my left leg last year, decided to go auto..... the truck still has the clutch pedal, linkages, ect in it, BUT to go to an auto setup, im gonna need the "auto brake pedal setup" cause the clutch pedal assembly is what holds the brake pedal in place (if I read the diagram rite)....
Not sure what shippin would be, but would be interested in a trade.... if it perks your ears, gimmie a hollor....
GE (Granbury, TX)

Old 08-18-2012, 06:29 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

GE, My truck still has the original 3 spd brake pedal. I run a 76 ps, pdb, C6 auto upgrade. You can make it work pretty easily.

John

Old 08-18-2012, 11:33 AM
vwfreak
More Turbo
Thought about doing a swap to manual myself. I have a '67 F250 with a cruise o matic and it's the first auto I have ever owned. I have to say though that I have gotten used to it. I still regularly reach for the shifter and try to step on the clutch pedal like I did in my old '78 F150, but it's kind of nice having one of my three vehicles that doesn't require intervention to roll to highway speed. After all, there are no cup holders and where would I park my coffee so I could shift? The only issue I have with an auto is I know nothing about it. I want to get it serviced but am afraid I'll be told it's toast because of metal shavings in the pan. I remember the AAMCO ordeal in the '80's as a teen and the hidden cameras catching 'em telling folks they needed work that they really didn't. I just don't know what an auto needs never mind one that's 45 years old. It's working okay as far as I know right now but it's startin to leak fluid....

Old 08-18-2012, 04:13 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Good ol AAMCO, They got me one time about 30 years back.

John

Quick Reply: Auto To Manual