Notices
1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I make it quieter ?

Old 05-14-2003, 07:59 AM
fcarruth
Elder User
fcarruth is starting off with a positive reputation.

I put a totally new exaust system on my Bronco a couple of months ago and went with the recommendation of the Flowmaster 70 Series mufflers. I have duals so that means that I have 2 mufflers. That's it, no cats or any other restrictions. I had Dynomax duals and I loved the mellow sound they produced but these Flowmasters are way too loud for me.

What do I need to put inline or where ever that will quieten things down ? I don't want cats but would rather have some type of noise restrictor that won't rob me of power. Any part #'s or brand names would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help,

Old 05-14-2003, 08:14 AM
WhlM1
Super Moderator
WhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant future

I guess you could use a turn-down tip. That would change how the exhaust was heard. Any reason you are against cats? There better for the environment, and, if you still have all the emissions stuff on, it would compliment it. They do make high flow varieties. I know the one on my 96 is 3" in/3" out.

Rich

Old 05-14-2003, 09:12 AM
fcarruth
Elder User
fcarruth is starting off with a positive reputation.

Yea, a turn down tip may make a little difference, but I just don't see it making the difference that I am looking for. I am not against the cats per say, I just didn't want to spend a few hundred more dollars on my exhaust system. Thanks for the info.

Old 05-14-2003, 02:00 PM
WhlM1
Super Moderator
WhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant future

I dont think there is anything that you can put inline without restricing the airflow and horsepower/torque gains. The best thing you could probably due is just swap to Gibson mufflers, or different muffflers along their lines. I had dual 3" Flowmaster 70 series on an old 76 F20 and I loved the sound it gave off. Do you have an H-pipe? You might want to get one. Plus, you said the Flows are only a few months old. You should be able to resell them and get a decent price for them.

Rich

Old 05-14-2003, 02:11 PM
mrwizard
Posting Guru
mrwizard is starting off with a positive reputation.

Take a look at Edelbrock RPM series mufflers. I put one on my '85 Bronco, and the sound was awesome. Nice and quiet inside, and a low, deep tone outside. Not obnoxious at all. Plus, they claim their mufflers flow better than their competitors (but then don't they all say that).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.