Sponsored by:

Well...It is official..I am Ex-LESS...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 05:49 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Well...It is official..I am Ex-LESS...

Well guys...after nearly 7 years of ownership of our Excursion...I am officially an Ex-Ex owner...

We sold the Ex today to a very nice family that I'm sure will get great use out of the Ex...

With us trying to sell the travel trailer...the Ex just didn't fit in my plans...

So...we took the money from the sale of the Ex and went to the Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge dealership in town and plunked it down on a brand new 2012 Jeep Liberty 4dr 4WD vehicle...Jeep is running $4,000 in rebate incentives right now...

I had been looking at a Jeep Wrangler in the 2007 to 2008 M.Y. range...but for ~$1500 more I got a brand new 2012 Liberty with many more creature comforts over what the Wrangler had...the Wranglers were all manual windows and door locks...it was a pretty utilitarian vehicle...the Liberty has power everything except seats...it is a Sport model with cloth seats similar to my XLT Ex...

It was a hard morning for me as the new owner went over the vehicle and I turned over the title to him...but I do know he is as **** as I am and he is getting a great vehicle...probably the most reliable vehicle we have EVER owned...but it is time to move on...

The Liberty is able to be flat towed behind the motor home...plus the 4wd is something I need for my deer hunting activities...so it really matched my needs...but it still wasn't an easy decision to sell the Ex...but...it is done...so...I figured I'd let y'all know I'm Ex-less...and Ford-less at that...I guess it is time to change my sig...

Joe.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:00 PM
jayjjcc
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I can understand your reasoning but going from an X to a Liberty sounds to me, but then again I'm not in your shoes.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:14 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Gonna have to change your screen name to "Ex ex guy".

Old 08-25-2012, 07:50 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
X_Ex_Guy sounds fine to me Joe! Congrats on the new buy; no doubt great adventures lie ahead.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:26 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Originally Posted by jayjjcc
I can understand your reasoning but going from an X to a Liberty sounds to me, but then again I'm not in your shoes.
Jay,

I can understand your confusion...there is NO vehicle out there like an Ex...and with how my situation has changed...I simply couldn't justify 10mpgs for such a large vehicle with my normal extreme city commute...plus I need a vehicle to tow behind the motor home...an Ex is NOT an ideal vehicle for that...so...rather than keep a vehicle that wouldn't get used much...and if you look at my average mileage per year for my 7 years it is only ~6,400 miles per year anyway...and of those miles...we typically towed between 3500 and 5000 miles per year on our annual vacations...so...right there you can see the Ex outside of "tow duty"...didn't get much use anyway...and now that "tow duty" is gone...well...the Liberty fits our needs better...

Is it a different class of vehicle...you betcha'...just like our Mini Cooper is a different class of vehicle...

I have loved owning our Ex...it has been a fantastic vehicle...but life situations change and they have for us...

We're still planning on traveling...just now in a DP motor home...so I found something that nearly rivals the mpg's of the Ex...LOL

Thanks for your thoughts!

Joe.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:27 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Gonna have to change your screen name to "Ex ex guy".
Originally Posted by wpnaes
X_Ex_Guy sounds fine to me Joe! Congrats on the new buy; no doubt great adventures lie ahead.
LOL...I like that!...ha-ha...

It is funny how much freaking room we have in our garage now!

Old 08-25-2012, 08:45 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Good luck and enjoy your new jeep and motor home.
Btw lots of good mods for jeeps too.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:30 PM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
All good things must come to an end! when do we get pics of the new MH (Motor Home) I don`t have anyone yet to buy my trailer so the X is still with me. I`m in no rush to sell, so I`m sticking with it. funny how it`s so easy to sell a V-10 X, but near impossible to sell a TT?! I`ve had offers on the X, but none on the trailer!

Old 08-26-2012, 04:23 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Kevin,

I struggled with selling the Ex first...but to be honest...I never plan to tow the TT again...it is on consignment over at a local RV lot...

I also struggled with making such a large purchase DP Class-A prior to selling my TT...but...the difference in price between those two items is so different...the $$$ I'll get out of the TT will only make a small payment towards the MH balance so I'm just floating that $$$ on my home equity line...BUT don't get me wrong...I am COUNTING ON THAT MONEY fairly soon...(God willing of course!).

As far as pictures...we still don't even have the coach right now...Flordia BMV is still working the title (the coach is registered in Florida)...so I am hopeful that will come through this week and we can actually use it this weekend over in Pierceton Jellystone...

I've got an appointment for Wednesday this week to get the front hitch put on the Liberty to allow it to be towed behind the coach...man is that an expensive item...HOLY COW...but I guess NOTHING is inexpensive when you are talking motor homes...LOL...

Wow...I just realized I never responded to your PM...let me go do that now...sorry...I read it and then got tied up with other stuff.

I also still have an ad on the classifieds for the Hensley Arrow hitch I have on the TT as I would sell that separately as well...

Joe.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:38 AM
Forest
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Joe,

Sorry to see you go. Fully understand your reasoning, but will miss your insightful advice. You were a big help to me on several occasions. Post some pics of the new motorhome when you get it.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:11 AM
fordboy67
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck in the new ventures! My wife's Jeep has been one of the best vehicles we have ever had. The only issues have been one alternator and three(ugh!) window regulators.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:06 AM
housedad
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Say it ain't so, Joe!!!

You's my bud on here and RV.net!

And here I am just starting to spank Reese hitch company in the towing forum over there!!!

Bummer....

Anyhow, Life changes and goes on. Hope you like the new SUV!!! AND the new motorhome!

And don't be a stranger here or there (towing forum)!!!!! Your knowledge and experience is too valuable.

We still need you around the campfires!!

(Gods! I can't believe it's been 7 years!)

Old 08-26-2012, 10:16 AM
housedad
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by X_Hemi_Guy
Kevin,

I struggled with selling the Ex first...but to be honest...I never plan to tow the TT again...it is on consignment over at a local RV lot...

I also struggled with making such a large purchase DP Class-A prior to selling my TT...but...the difference in price between those two items is so different...the $$$ I'll get out of the TT will only make a small payment towards the MH balance so I'm just floating that $$$ on my home equity line...BUT don't get me wrong...I am COUNTING ON THAT MONEY fairly soon...(God willing of course!).

As far as pictures...we still don't even have the coach right now...Flordia BMV is still working the title (the coach is registered in Florida)...so I am hopeful that will come through this week and we can actually use it this weekend over in Pierceton Jellystone...

I've got an appointment for Wednesday this week to get the front hitch put on the Liberty to allow it to be towed behind the coach...man is that an expensive item...HOLY COW...but I guess NOTHING is inexpensive when you are talking motor homes...LOL...

Wow...I just realized I never responded to your PM...let me go do that now...sorry...I read it and then got tied up with other stuff.

I also still have an ad on the classifieds for the Hensley Arrow hitch I have on the TT as I would sell that separately as well...

Joe.

LOL. When I was at the Hershey Pa RV show last year, a guy told me that Motorhomes were like boats. Boats are a hole in the water you throw money into. Motorhomes are a firepit in the road you burn money in.

Keep on fishin'

Old 08-26-2012, 05:08 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
It's a shame to see you go! You plan to post on here often though right?...you know A LOT of info that is invaluable to us all!

Old 08-26-2012, 05:30 PM
tims01
Elder User
TRAITOR!!!!! IM KIDDING .. YOU HAVE FUN WITH THAT JEEP AND MOTOR HOME

Quick Reply: Well...It is official..I am Ex-LESS...