1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

My 52 Ford F1 Project - NKY

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 06:10 PM
52 Ford F1
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My 52 Ford F1 Project - NKY

Taking Delivery, that is the nice guy who sold it to me for about $2,250.

Just fit into the garage... Extra parts in the bed.

Nothing special about the old motor... heck I do not even know if it is original? But it does run and drive.

Motor again, wiring looks like it has definitely been messed with.

I did not take enough pics of the interior before I ripped it out, seat and gauges were in good condition, everything else not so much.

Anyways... I will try to post 5 pics a day or so to keep people interested... I am much further than this, but now that I hit 25 posts I am going back and hopefully adding these thumbnails correctly.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:17 PM
1952henry
Fleet Mechanic
Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts
Nice looking pickup. Some came with the I-6, and 52 was the first year for the OHV 6. Could be the original engine. I see it has the desirable Visi-Flow carburetor (glass bowl). Have fun with it!

Old 08-23-2012, 07:04 PM
Simplicity
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have fun, glad it went to a good home. keep us updated!

Old 08-23-2012, 07:31 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hello and welcome to the forum...both of you!

That looks like a pretty good starting point. What are your plans for it??

Dan

Old 08-23-2012, 07:58 PM
52 Ford F1
Senior User
Originally Posted by old_dan
Hello and welcome to the forum...both of you!

That looks like a pretty good starting point. What are your plans for it??

Dan
You will have to wait and see, but if you are a purist you may want to unsubscribe or you will be tempted to make some negative comments about some of my work. Overall I want a reliable truck I can use as a parts truck for my next project... which I have not decided on as of now.

You guys still think it looked nice?

Here is a hint to how many layers of paint I had to strip to see how it really was...

Running boards and rear fenders off.

Probably would have been cheaper to pay someone to take the glass out in one piece... Oh well... this is what happens late at night when powered by beer.

One thing I can say, is overall the PO's did not due too much "rigging", or at least they hid it well if they did.

A little more about me...
This is my first classic vehicle restoration... I am 26, with high school shop and welding classes as my only training, and it will probably show.
Prior to this I had built and modified quite a few motorcycles and choppers, which IMO is a whole lot easier than a project of this scale... I could have built/restored 2 bikes in the time I put into this truck, and probably with the same amount of cash too... While fabrication does not bother me, I am not a genius with engines, transmissions, drivelines, etc. nor am I by any means a pro painter. I have modified vehicles and engines, but not performed a full blown motor swap before... I have a lot to learn and am happy to have found this site to help me along the way. Look forward to meeting those of you attending truckstock, I will be the loser with his daily driver cuz his truck cannot even make it the 200 mile trip...

When I am not working on the truck, I work full time and have recently been engaged... so if I get in 10 solid hours of work a weekend on the truck I am satisfied.

I am looking for help always, so let me know if you want to drop by and give me a hand. Standing offer for free beer to those working or even advising.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:35 PM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where do you live in Ky. I live in Sparta, Ky.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:17 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 124 Likes on 54 Posts
Thanks for posting your pics. I think you have a very good project started there. And you seem to have a good idea of what you want and how realistic it is to do one of these projects. I know it would be terribly inconvenient to do this, but feel free to trailer it down and let the guys study it and give you pointers. And, no, you won't be the "loser". You haven't seen my three rusty trucks yet.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:25 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The stock 215 OHV I6 motor sounds healthy. If I were you, I'd keep it and use it. They're neat little motors. Here's what I did with mine.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:43 PM
dmack91
Elder User
Looks like a good, solid starting point. Enjoy.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:36 PM
52 Ford F1
Senior User
Thanks for following the post and the comment thus far.

Bed wood has seen better days

Bed wood removed

After bed removed

First good look at it in the light

Got everything spread out

Enlisted the help of a friend to clean up the frame

After about 8 hours of 2 people with angle grinders and wire wheels...

At the end of only the 3rd day of working on it... Just spray painted bedliner on the frame in time to dry overnight.

Noticed some issues during this process and do not worry they will be talked about in future posts. Unfortunately as many of you know... A lot of time and therefore pictures of the work it took to strip it down will be posted in the following days/weeks.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:45 PM
52 Ford F1
Senior User
Stripping the hood... Tried a bunch of methods - Aircraft stripper, paddle discs, paint stripper disks, scrapers, etc... I liked stripper than scraping then paint remover wheel best after playing around a while.

Flash rusting is the only downside of the stripper.

I was just messing around with this concept, but I think I might keep it on the final... What do you think?

Stripper does not work on bondo, and the rear fenders had tons of it... I tried to show how thick it was

Finally got most of the bondo removed from the rear fender

The other side

Old 08-25-2012, 11:48 PM
dmack91
Elder User
I feel your pain. My hood had 8 layers of paint and took me forever to sand off. I think I lost about 1/4" of height on the hood by the time I was done.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:23 AM
52 Ford F1
Senior User
Figured I would try to get a post up before I head out to work on the truck for the day. Hopefully not too many of you have figured out how to skip ahead, but just in case I haven't uploaded everything yet.

Recruited the girlfriend then, fiancee now, to help out with the "stripping and grinding." (corny, I know)

I sat in this bed with my hands vibrating for over 4 hours

Inside of bed done and coated with rust reformer, most of which will be sanded off again before priming.

I even found bondo on the tailgate... with all the details it was a PITA to get stripped.

I think on the final version I will strip the paint on the raised Ford and then clear it... Especially if I do the hood center exposed.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:51 PM
52 Ford F1
Senior User
Stripping away at the exterior of the bed

Remember that comment that the PO's did not do to much to it that was not right?.?.? Here was when I learned otherwise...

This was of course pretty crushing at first... As you know the front fenders are not cheap, and are not too available in steel.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:05 PM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
52 ford f1, I have a fiber-glass top fender but not the lower but they are readly available, Garry

Quick Reply: My 52 Ford F1 Project - NKY