1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

My 52 Ford F1 Project - NKY

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 03:41 PM
52 Ford F1
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The weather has been awesome today and yesterday. Gave me a chance to get some more bodywork done on the truck.

Focused mainly on the roof, Even after beating it forever last time I got a chance to work on it - there was plenty of room for improvement. I put the first coat on it the other day, and after sanding (before guide coat) it did not look too far off...

Of course after the guide coat I could tell it had lots of room for improvement.... Gummed up plenty of sandpaper in the process, Made it through 15 before the weekend was over.

Repeated the process trying not to put a thick coat on, ended up making me do it 2 times...

Before I left it I through the last coat of filler on, after I sand it down it will be ready for the glaze coat and then primer.

I tried to keep busy during dry time and took on some other projects. The most important was the interior of the truck.

I ordered the sound and heat insulation kit with my carpet, but also bought sound mat which I threw up. I could have done the full coat with the sound mat, but call me cheap or lazy, I made due with 2 sheets.

Then I sprayed over the mat with sound deadening spray, cleaned up the interior, and hopefully it lives up to the hype and keeps the inside nice and quiet when I get running.

The other project was on my Fiancee's Mustang. The back of the driver seat had a lean which is apparently common with these cars.
I probably could have rolled off the cover if I had more patience, but I took a different route as I had already located a break in the weld.

I thought I had it made after welding that on... but found bigger problems...

Sacrificed an old welding jacket and got it welded up, but there was plenty of times I was worried about catching the seat on fire... I was prepared and luckily did not have to use it.

I have been searching ebay for weeks for a new armrest (you can see the tear above) but have not been able to get one for under 80 bucks yet... The local junkyards do not have Mustangs, which I thought would be one of their highest inventory... oh well I will keep looking.

Looks like the good weather is over, so unless I get a garage heater installed this year I will be pretty dormant for a while on this build thread.

Last edited by 52 Ford F1; 11-11-2012 at 03:43 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-16-2013, 07:51 PM
52 Ford F1
Senior User
BUMMER

I suspect this happened from the cold, and with the expansion contraction from the temp swings in KY this winter... It did not have a leak when it ran last, but I suppose it could have been broken while I was stripping the rust from the bottom of the floor pans...

So now... Do I buy a transmission and drop in the 351W... Or do I search for a replacement exhaust manifold, to put on a motor I only plan to use for a year.?.?.?.?

Hoping this does not totally derail my goal to have this done for my Wedding in September, but can not help to be discouraged.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:50 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Headers?! Here's what Clifford's has. I wouldn't buy cast iron replacements, personally, they fall apart with alarming regularity. But I bet you could sell the headers lightly used if you decide to go 351 after the wedding. I think there's a lot more to putting in a completely different drivetrain than a header and dual exhaust.

Attached Images  
Old 02-17-2013, 10:39 AM
52 Ford F1
Senior User
Thanks a bunch!
I did not want to drop that kind of coin on used headers, but new it might be worth it, hopefully that keeps me on track. If I can get my money back on the headers by selling them with the entire old engine I will be happy.

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Headers?! Here's what Clifford's has. I wouldn't buy cast iron replacements, personally, they fall apart with alarming regularity. But I bet you could sell the headers lightly used if you decide to go 351 after the wedding. I think there's a lot more to putting in a completely different drivetrain than a header and dual exhaust.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:01 PM
52 Ford F1
Senior User
Pulling the motor in the am... Or at least trying.
Anyone interested?

Old 03-30-2013, 11:49 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Hey Andrew, be carefull slinging that engine around! Have you got something to put back in yet?

Old 03-31-2013, 09:39 AM
52 Ford F1
Senior User
Appreciate it. I have myself and my cousin lined up, one of those projects I did not want to take on alone (picture myself crushed under the truck)

I have a 351w that I bought. It supposedly is ready to run, I started taking it apart and so far so good, but I am not a motor guru and appearances can be deceiving... Will probably need to bring it in to the engine shop for my own piece of mind. Might also buy a motor trans combo from a working vehicle if the deal is right.
I need a transmission though.... I have been looking for one that I can grab from someone rather than rolling the dice at the junkyard - no luck yet.
Will post more pictures tonight or tomorrow.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:59 PM
52 Ford F1
Senior User
Engine Pulled

Got the motor out Sunday morning, but have not had a chance to get the pictures up.

The motor came out really easy, in large part to having the front fenders and everything dis-assembled.
Removed the exhaust, radiator, and started pulling and labeling wires. On the back side just had to unhook the speedo, clutch, driveshaft and shifting linkage.

Unfastened the motor and cut free the trans (after rounding out the carriage bolt on the crossmember)

Removed the cover from the top of the motor to get enough clearance for the chains

Pulling...

Done, and for sale cheap if you are interested.

Also took some time to get more interior work done. The white stuff is made by GTMat, and the silver peel and stick is a generic.

Still got a lot of cleaning to do now that the engine is out and I can access everything... Will need some re-wiring too...
BUT the most important thing I need is to get a running motor and trans into that hole.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:33 PM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Andrew... loving the thread of what you've done so far! eMail me and give me some details on the engine you've pulled and how much you want for it.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:52 PM
52 Ford F1
Senior User
Welll... 1 more step... Picked up a transmission. Out of town for a week - but when I get back the focus shifts to re-building the 351w. Hoping to order the parts I think I will need to have them waiting for me.

Sure hope it fits... it is from a 93 Mustang w/ 302, and I need to source a starter.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:16 PM
52 Ford F1
Senior User
Well after a large classic haulers order I am trying to stay focused on forward progress... I ordered the front and rear window, engine and trans mounts, and plenty of misc parts....
Even after losing my truckstock coupon they still helped me out!
Parts should arrive in the next few days and I expect to be thrilled with using them.

Next on the agenda, getting the motor checked out, bolted up to the AOD and getting to work on installing the pile of parts laying around...
Anyone know of a good place or guy in the Cincinnati Area to give me a hand?

I am hoping to get the motor done, finish the cab bodywork and get it painted so I can install the windows and finish the interior and drive it! The rest of the bodywork, cosmetics, and accessories can wait, I want to get on the road!

Old 04-16-2013, 11:04 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
You've been a busy guy, Andrew! I assume you'll have to notch or cut the trans crossmember? Got an engine crossmember lined up? With the weather improving I'd bet you'll be on the road this year!

Old 04-16-2013, 11:21 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 Ford F1
I want to get on the road!
I want to get on the road,,,,,,,,,,,,, to truckstock?

Way to go Andrew. Looking great.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:10 PM
52 Ford F1
Senior User
I got the engine cross member ordered from Classic Haulers after finding it used successfully on some old threads. I bought a trans cross member from them also, will be removing the old trans cross member (if I can not modify it too easily) and installing the new one.

How important is angle/rake for the motor? I have read about an offset to the passengers side, which I would like to do (probably only an inch). I can angle the back end as needed easily, but do not want to set myself up for failure aiming for close to level and square if it needs to be an exact science. This is my first swap, but I would rather not learn the hard way.

Got the hotel booked for Rojak's - Can not wait! Thinking I will hit the super-nationals Friday and be at his place early Saturday. Unfortunately I will not be in the truck.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:40 AM
HILLBILLY BOB
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Andrew,when you are in florida if you are in the area stop by I would like to meet you.you are doing great progress on your truck. I have an IRS & IFS from a jag
also a 1978 351w & c6 with 70,000 miles on it that I was going to put into another truck,but things came up & now it looks like I have to get rid of it all, I live in HUDSON
on the west coast about 70-75 miles from Disney. hope to see you Bob

Quick Reply: My 52 Ford F1 Project - NKY