1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

My 52 Ford F1 Project - NKY

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 11:26 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I found the flywheel cover for the 215.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:12 PM
52 Ford F1
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Got some motor work done in the pics for this post.

Not posting again until after truck stock, lots to do before heading out for the weekend.

Still more work to go on the motor obviously, gotta make sure it all checks out before deciding to throw it in.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:28 PM
52 Ford F1
Senior User
Learned alot at truckstock and met some great people... I think I might be alright with the stock steering after driving a few trucks. I still would like to do breaks, but until the motor swap the stock ones will work just fine.

The stock suspension is not horrible, but it would be nice to get the drop of an IFS.... I want to keep and lower the stock suspension but by the time you add up drop and forward springs, dropped axle, and the other misc front end items you are about up to an IFS. So needless to say I am torn... Hoping for a sign in the form of a good deal on one or the other...

Anyways, it was great to see a bunch of finished trucks and talk about everyone's build. Some pictures below, plenty more if you search the truckstock thread:

There was a lot of great trucks, but this was most similar to my plans with my own.

Back to the build.

Worked on cleaning up the bed. Had to replace both rear stakes and the rear sill. I used a drill on the spot welds and then the air hammer to separate the rest.

I bought a new rear valance that was supposed to be primed and ready to install from a company... It came unprimed and un-assembled... after 4 calls I got a $25 rebate, guess I can not complain too much.

Decided to weld the bed together solid instead of spot welds

At the end of the day I was thrilled with only 1/8 inch off square... I bet that was within Fords tolerance.... and with wood in it I could make it square. (Not to mention by the time I was done putting it together... It could have been 2 inches off and I would have called it a night)

Old 09-19-2012, 09:47 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Nice work! It is great to get results like that.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:04 AM
52 Ford F1
Senior User
Lots of little jobs lately... most of the pictures are boring...

Finished burning in the bed, and had to fab a small panel (before welds cleaned).

Very time consuming to fix the bottom of the doors... May just cover the other side with sealer, than cover it with interior panels... I was expecting some issues, but the paint sure did cover a lot of holes!

Heading out to get some work now... Just a reminder, there is an open invitation for anyone whom wants to give me a hand in the Northern Kentucky/Southwest Ohio area - Free Beer and Food!

The weather is cooling too fast... not likely to get painted this year unless I can find a booth to rent... May be the best way to go anyways... Afraid to use heat lamps or heat guns...

Old 09-26-2012, 07:21 PM
52 Ford F1
Senior User
Body Work Sucks

The worst part of body work is that even though I have put a lot of time into it... it still looks awful until painted.....

It also is not that interesting to look at... Tons of pictures of the same thing over and over just on a different panel....

Here goes some anyways if anyone is still following...

The tailgate was really rough as you would probably expect... Had some dings on both sides in addition to the rails... I did not aim for perfect with it... More so presentable. Eventually it would be better to replace then waste hours and hours trying to fix...

Had to do some filler work on the doors from the shaving of the door handles.

Hoods about done too... just need to get pictures up. Going to have to use some filler on the inner bed sides which is definitely less than ideal, but I can live with it for awhile. That pretty much leaves the cab, which is going to take a long time with the damage I did to the roof replacing the rear suspension.

Heading to Florida for at least a week, so I will not be making progress or posting for a while.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:01 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 124 Likes on 54 Posts
Great progress!! Keep posting the "boring" pictures as well. They're just as educational as the others. Glad you enjoyed yourself here at Truckstock too. Nice pics.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:26 PM
John.lee
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great thread. Keep the pics coming. I am currently doing the same on my 48

Old 10-01-2012, 02:49 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yer doing great. Signing on to see this come together.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:41 PM
9teen56f100
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Andrew,
Its all looking good. Keep posting your progress.
brian...

Old 10-01-2012, 06:16 PM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep working on it and before you know long it will all come together.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:30 PM
barnfind 51
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
The stock 215 OHV I6 motor sounds healthy. If I were you, I'd keep it and use it. They're neat little motors. Here's what I did with mine.

Very Nice!! You did a fantastic job on the detail,Iam sure this is a sweet running truck. The engine bay looks great!!! I am aways away from where you are at but you show what can be done. Ididnt want to hijack the Thread but I did have to make a comment about what can be done..

super fine job !! on the detail looks great!!

Old 10-10-2012, 09:04 PM
52 Ford F1
Senior User
Well, the fiancee lost her enthusiasm on helping with the truck as you can probably tell...

Kept going on the hood work. Finally put the (hopefully) final coat with glazing... Several guide coats later, and it I am thinking any defects that may exist will be taken care of with the blocking after spraying primer.

Also started on one of the rear fenders and the sides of the beds... Still have plenty to go, but after sanding, hammer and dolly, and all the other work I was doing my hands were shot...

Old 10-10-2012, 10:19 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Andrew, you've been a busy guy! That front fender is unfortunately real typical. If you don't want to spring for 'glass fenders for now, consider welding a big patch connecting the upper and lower in one fell swoop - that's how most 'glass fenders come anyway, as one piece. You'd be surprised how easy that is compared to re-creating the joint in each piece.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:19 PM
52 Ford F1
Senior User
Went to the swap meet with Homade today and scored some good deals on some autobody supplies. (sandpaper, tack cloths, mixing pads, etc...) Had a good time and now I have no excuses for not getting any work done... I guess that is not true... Put in an offer on a house which was accepted. Inspection went well and if everything works out I will be closed by November 30th.. FINALLY MY OWN GARAGE! It's harder to work when you have to drive to the garage you rent and have working hour restrictions...

I have got a little work done on the roof... Took forever to beat it close to even... now starting the process of bondo. Will have more pictures, but if you are interested in why you can get a very large tarp very cheap at harbor freight... it is because it will rust/bond to your metal, rather than keep it dry.

Got my fiancee a birthday gift... which resulted in lots of work for me...
I traded a 99 taurus with plenty of it's own issues for this mustang and they gave me $250 bucks. When I got it the thing was filthy and had a horrible exhaust leak... Engine light on, brakes acting strange...
Homade and his friend helped me get it cleaned up last week.
The pipe had rusted after the collector, before the flange. Much less noisy now that it is welded up.

Underneath was not too bad.

Here is the exterior (very green)

Used those headlight refresher kits

Anyways, changed the oil, added some diff fluid, polished and waxed it, cleaned the heck out of the interior and have some of the misc trim pieces on order from ebay because it is hard to find a stang not picked over in the junkyard.

To give you an idea of how bad the interior is.

Quick Reply: My 52 Ford F1 Project - NKY