1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Honest questions; setting self up for digs!

Old 05-14-2003, 09:20 PM
rebellforever
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got a 302 in my 89 f-150 and she is a head turner.
that thing has more ***** then my parents 98 expedition.
both are 4 wheel drive.
and you can switch the numbers around to get the others year.
but the expedition has a 4.6 liter.
my truck is a manual and made for power not speed.
ive pulled stuff around my dad wouldnt do.
o yeah and i got a plow on my truck and my parents dont got one.
ill out pull the expedition and my dad knows it.
but he wont put it to the test.
he says ill burn out my clutch.
but i got a racing clutch in it.
those farmers know how to make a good tranny.
i know the farmer who had it played in the tranny.
my first gear wont let me past 15 miles per hour.
second at 35.
i even got teachers who dont wanna hook up because they are scared of the black thunder.

swanny

Old 05-14-2003, 09:58 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts

5. Girlie (Girly, preferred) Coined by a famous Alabama author to differentiate certain engines from others. Some assume the reference is to smaller number of cubic inches displaced, ie. 302cid = girly, 428cid =manly. This is obviously not the case, as no ''y" block engines of any displacement are "girly". Said author is still available for comment and/or clarification. See which. best. himmelberg.

Let the record reflect that "Girlie" was in fact first uttered by our Canadian friend, one Mister Ferguson of Carlton Place.

Then again, he used to trash Volares too now didn't he.

Old 05-15-2003, 06:23 AM
himmelberg
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I stand corrected and apologize to our Canadian brother. Hope you are dry and well in Tennessee. Can't imagine you not having fun. Best. Himmelberg

Old 05-15-2003, 08:15 AM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Daryl "don't call my 302 girlie" Stone,

My apoligies for the tardyness in replying to your note. It's not like me to pass up an opportunity to take a shot at anyone. Ever since I became unemployed I've been too busy job-hunting and ACTUALY working on my truck to spend a lot of time in here. One might also think that perhaps there just has not been much going on in here related to my limited scope of knowledge as well , but knowledge on a subject never really stopped me from commenting in the past , at least I tried not to let it stop me.....

You've got some really good responses to most of your questions (and some not so good ones as well). Pretty much everything except question # 5 has been addressed satisfactorally.

#5 is a tough one to answer. The rules around what is girly and what is not are not really clear - they are somewhat subjective. It's sort of like when you were in school - some kids were "cool" and some were not. But what made them cool was hard to pinpoint. So it might be easier to give examples of what engines are NOT girly. i.e.

Flatty V8s are never girly. (They do have the "cool" factor)

Y blocks are never girly. (They also have that "cool" factor, though to a slightly lesser degree)

Big Blocks are NEVER girly.

A stock 289/302 in a large vehicle is girly. (You know they are)

A stroked 302 with headers,etc. is not girly regardless of what it's in. (sole exception would be a dble A gasser - AA/GS)

Now it may look like I'm backpedalling on this issue, but such is not the case. In fact, I don't make these rules, I only expound upon them and translate them (George can explain "expound" to you). Based upon my known parlimentary experience I have a knack for being able to clarify fuzzy issues such as this and I am glad to be able to educate you on these points. I see it as my role here. 'fenders provides semi-useful technical advice on everything, George provides very detailed advice on all things stock, 'rage provides advice on drivetrain matters and I clarify the bigger questions in life like what's cool and what's not, what's girly and what's not , how women think or don't.

I hope this has helped you in some way. (perhaps not, my average seems to be about .35 )

Old 05-15-2003, 09:32 AM
DS02F250
Posting Guru

Fergie, 'Fenders, Rage, Himmelberg, and Everyone Else...

You guys crack me up! I am grateful for the input, experience(technical, favorable/disfavorable, and "chalk it up to" experience) you guys provide... and I relish the witty intellect and humor. LOL

You guys keep me in stiches... and in between breaths, occasionally I actually learn something.

Gotta go now. This morning is Day 1 of the Dakota IFS install.
Whew-hoooo !!!

Daryl
PS- ordered the CompCam 268H cam/lifter kit and ONE GT-40 head (could only afford one at a time!); naturally this set the upholstery project back in time and $$. Gee, uh... Oh Well !!!

Old 05-15-2003, 01:34 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Furgy you forgot Me. The guy that has some knowledge but trys to get into everything.

Old 05-15-2003, 03:56 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru

Daryl "don't call my 302 girlie" Stone,

I strongly reccommend you get the second head. Your power inrease is going to be severly limited with only one head on a V8 and your gas mileage will suffer as well. The underside of the hood (on one side anyway) will certainly be very clean though.

Old 05-15-2003, 05:04 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend

Lets see

A cam and one GT40 Head!

Does this make it a GT20?

Just where would this engine now fall, a Three-0-Two, with a Cam and GT40 heads has been declared "Not Girly" by the Guru of Dissertations, so I guess we ne a new classification for the new configuration.

And as for holding up the seat work, since when do we cover buckets around here?

Old 05-15-2003, 06:55 PM
286merc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess Ive been too busy busting knuckles and getting greasy to notice this thread.
Anyway one correction and clarification.

The original Y Block was not a 54 Ford. It was instead the 52 Lincoln which went on to blow away the competition in the 53 Mexican Road Race. 317 cubes followed by 341 and 368. Last year 1957.
It was the basis of the 279, 302, 332 Ford big truck blocks; not to be confused with any car or light truck engine of similar size.

Girly? As every girly truly knows, size matters.

Old 05-16-2003, 07:49 PM
DS02F250
Posting Guru

4TL8FORD & 286MERC,

Yes, I guess unofficially I am the (humble but) proud owner of a GT-20 302 at this juncture. However, in a month (ie, after my next overtime paycheck!), we MUST come up with a classification for "girly" 302's that aren't so girly anymore, but then again (respectfully) aren't in the same class as the Big Blox. Maybe "bully's"?? Even as a little kid (ie, a 302), there seemed to always be the biggest kid in every class. So maybe stroked or "built" 302's should be (or could be) called "Bully's" !?!?!?

Just a thought.... in the meantime, me and my GT-20 "wanna-be a Bully" motor will trod along as always while we await the new Dakota IFS underneath what in the near future will be the "bully" 302 motor.... LOL

Cheers!
Daryl

Old 05-16-2003, 08:57 PM
41Clay
Elder User

So one head is it? Wonder how well your GT-20 is going to idle and run

Clayton

Old 05-16-2003, 09:22 PM
DS02F250
Posting Guru

Originally posted by 41Clay
So one head is it? Wonder how well your GT-20 is going to idle and run

Clayton
Clayton,
Well, one head so far. Gee, I don't think it'll run/idle too well with just the one GT40 head!!!! LOL When money permits, I will get the second head (ie, next month's overtime check) and put it all together with the CompCam 268H series cam/lifter kit. I'll keep ya posted on that once it is finalized.

Regards,
Daryl

Old 05-17-2003, 06:41 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know this is obvious, but no one has mentioned it yet. Daryl, two heads are better than one.

WRT the new "bully" classification, I think you need something shorter. People don't like two syllable nicknames when a single syllable will do. Why don't you just drop the last letter and make it a much more people-friendly, and popular, classification?

WRT the learned RMF and his post, yes, there are cool kids and not-so-cool kids. It seems to me, however, that you'll never see an isolated cool kid. The cool in the kid comes from the group around the kid. Therefore, I propose we table this discussion with the understanding that the powerplant in a truck is as cool, or not-cool, as the owner of the truck. That includes 1 liter, 4-banger, aluminum-block, transverse mounted, front-wheel-drive, weenie engines painted pink. If the owner is cool, the powerplant is cool.

Old 05-17-2003, 07:50 PM
DS02F250
Posting Guru

Originally posted by Earl
I know this is obvious, but no one has mentioned it yet. Daryl, two heads are better than one.

WRT the new "bully" classification, I think you need something shorter. People don't like two syllable nicknames when a single syllable will do. Why don't you just drop the last letter and make it a much more people-friendly, and popular, classification?

WRT the learned RMF and his post, yes, there are cool kids and not-so-cool kids. It seems to me, however, that you'll never see an isolated cool kid. The cool in the kid comes from the group around the kid. Therefore, I propose we table this discussion with the understanding that the powerplant in a truck is as cool, or not-cool, as the owner of the truck. That includes 1 liter, 4-banger, aluminum-block, transverse mounted, front-wheel-drive, weenie engines painted pink. If the owner is cool, the powerplant is cool.
Now WHO could improve upon THAT??? And thus marks the end of THAT discussion.

Respectfully,
Daryl (owner of a mildly built 302 V-8 painted Ford Blue!)

Old 05-18-2003, 07:00 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts

Wait until I get these darn PICs off the camera. My wife was awoke by 2 kids on Friday. They drug half a 55 Effie up from Alabama. I wish you could have seen it. Stroker 302, dual quads, 14 inch (or so) wide slicks, open headers (of course). No bed. Running some sort of alcohol fuel. Due to the fact there were 1500 registered Ford trucks in town, you could get by with anything and they were drivin it on the street. It was hilarious.

'rage and John caught a bit of the show too. Man did that motor sound good. The truck was about worthless but they had as much fun as anybody I saw. They were out of money after building the engine.