Sponsored by:

What did you do to the Bronco Today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 09:08 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ywhic
Heard a weird noise backing up today at work for about 15 feet to get out of a parking spot.. not sure if its the brake rotors in the front or the 20 year old auto-hubs sticking on one side..

I didn't hear any noise after that in forward or when backing up again 2 more times... but to be safe >>>

I found a 20% code for Advance and ordered some MileMarker #302 manual hubs for $53 total with tax included.. Picking them up tomorrow..

I figured why not for $50.. this eliminate one possible issue.. then if it occurs again I can then narrow it down to possibly a stuck caliper or something..
On top of that you are getting rid of the shoddy auto hubs 2 birds with one stone.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:50 PM
Zip
FTE Legend
Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts
Spent some time trying to get the front of the engine put back together without pulling the oil pan. Aint gonna happen without dropping the pan. Went and picked up a pan gasket set but never got back to it. BBQ steak and wind and rain put a damper on things.

Found while under the Black Sheep that the floors aren't as bad as I thought and will just need a couple small patches. I don't think I'll need to buy some floor pans for the job. I should be able to find a couple pieces for the patches at the wreckers.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:22 PM
ywhic
Senior User
New MM #302 hubs installed on the 93.. hopefully that resolves that issue.. total time less than 45 minutes..

Old 03-21-2013, 05:28 PM
FourXFord2
Elder User
Alignment

Finally have all new parts on the front of my bronco. Put it on the alignment machine and still have some small adjustments to make before it's right. Can anyone throw me the numbers for where my camber is supposed to be? I called and the tech had just pulled out of the parking lot.
Right now left side is @ .1+ and right @.09+ camber. machine said .8 out of adjustment yet.
On a better note the new tires on the back feel awesome! with traction to spare.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:34 PM
ywhic
Senior User
Specs on the 93 for me was Min -0.3 and max of +0.8 .. I came in at -0.8 L and -1.0 R

My TOE was was off.. like 0.55 and 0.65.. Fixed to 0.10 L and 0.25 R (still over by 0.10)

Old 03-21-2013, 06:57 PM
FourXFord2
Elder User
It started as (left, right) caster 5.2 , 6.0. Camber -1.3, -1.2. This is with bushings set to 0*.
The driverside is now 4.0 and .1. passengerside ended up 8.3 and .09, oops, read wrong side of the chart.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:49 PM
Kasper78Bronco
New User
Broke the battery terminal end on the hot cable when reconnecting, had to replace it of course. Simplest thing that I've replaced in literall years (just finished up a drivetrain build) although the air filter is pretty close. Tomorrow's a new day, there's stuff to tweak.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:33 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Hmm Where should I start. How about with this morning. So I got up and left for work like any other day, running a little late because I fell asleep after my alarm went off. Jump onto the freeway and start my 25-30 minute trip to work. As I am driving a long it suddenly felt like I was driving over very small bumps in the road. I figured the grooves in the road were the issue and kept going. I would say about 1/2 a mile down the road the back of the truck suddenly tilts backwards and there is a hard thumping (like a flat tire), Next thing I know the back end drops hard and further down and there are sparks flying all around the back of the truck, enough to make it hard to see anything through the rear window. I coasted it to the shoulder (I was in the "fast lane" next to the HOV lane) and when I looked over, I see my 100+lb 35 inch tire speeding away with the brake drum close behind... My tire and drum ended up about 1/8th of a mile down the HOV lane, and they were both resting on the concrete median. A DOT crew came and picked them up and brought them to me. As far as I know, no one else got hit by either object and I have no idea where my lug nuts went.

Anyways, I was shaken but ok, the po-po stopped by and assured that we had a tow truck on the way then he left (whole lotta help that was). The tow truck got there and we winched my baby up and headed for home. Got it home and assessed the damage: The entire brake system is pretty much destroyed, drum unusable, studs unusable, brand new brake shoes unusable, a few springs + the Star adjusting wheel were gone. The backing plate saved my axle tube from getting beat up thankfully, but that will need replacing. It's been a hell of a morning guys, I'm ready for the weekend.

Looks a bit off right?

No there isn't a fat chick party going on in the back

"Well thar's your problem!"

First time (hopefully the last time) My best friend has to take a tow truck home

I did these brakes last month... Just got them to work properly then this happens

My studs should be reusable right? Right??

I put this side on a jack stand so it wouldn't make me sad every time I look at it. Now it just looks like general maintenance instead of a junk yard rig

This is my band of misfits...

It kind of made a nice platform out of the backing plate

The drum is pretty much toast..

So yeah, today was quite a stressful day.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:08 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Dylan I used the link you left in FTEWA.
The one thing I can say good to hear that your OK.
How did work respond ?

Sean

Old 03-22-2013, 09:20 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
My work was understanding, I still went in though. I was about 1.5 hours late or so. The green Chevy van is my ride till I fix my truck. I don't like driving it but it's better than nothing.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:22 PM
ywhic
Senior User
Glad your ok.. but How did it let loose?? The studs look sound.. did someone take off your lugnuts at night??

Old 03-22-2013, 09:29 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
I wish I could say someone did that, I is probably my fault for not tightening them the way I should have. For fear of twisting more studs apart, I never really tried to tighten them as much as I could. Now I'm on the market for some studs that are like, military grade or something. Where I can put all my weight and muscle into it and they won't snap.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:20 PM
FourXFord2
Elder User
You'd be better off buying a torque wrench and socket and leave them in TGM. Even a cheapo would've cost alot less then fixing a mess like that. I have alloy rims which always need retorqued at 50 miles or so. Had rear wheel come off my '91 exploder, only needed to replace the studs, took me longer to get home and get the tools and some used studs. I forgot to retorque the nuts after changing a flat.
Glad your OK. TGM needs a little work but it couldv'e been ALOT worse.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:28 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
I have a cheapie wrench I got from Harbor Freight, just didn't have the money to get an extension as well. I thought I had one at home too but remembered it went with my old mustang along with the ratchet and socket for those lugnuts. I have one of those 4 way lug wrenches but never tried to use it much because I always felt like I was going to break the studs. Which is my reason for searching for some stronger ones. Ones that I can put a lot more weight on to an not be afraid of breaking them. I don't feel that the stock studs are strong enough. I would like to be able to over torque the bolts even if I don't need too, that way if I ever have a situation where a torque wrench isn't available, I won't have to worry about breaking anything by over torquing it.

I also don't carry a spare since I can't afford one nor have the space for one so changing a flat is kind of out of the question.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:08 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
You left the lugnuts loose, how can you be sure? check the stud holes in your rim, you'll see the studs filed them... I did that once with one front tire, luckily I only messed the rotor, the tire and the rim, and my insurance paid for the damages on the taxi my tire decided to visit. BTW, check that tire for deformations, if it has any then it's a goner, and if the rim holes are filed you'll need to have it replaced or repaired (I would use it for the spare as I did with my repaired rim).

P.S.: You're and idiot (me too), and I'm glad you didn't get hurt nor hurted someone else.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the Bronco Today?