6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Bakflip tonneau covers

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 07:50 PM
SARTech
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bakflip tonneau covers

Hey all I am looking at buying a Bakflip F1 tonneau cover. I am looking for someone who has a Bakflip and tows a 5th wheel. I would like to know if you can hook up the 5th wheel easily or do you have to place the cover against your cab? If there are any pros or cons you can share I'll take.
Thanks

Old 08-22-2012, 08:39 PM
azking_Ranch
Tuned
I tow a Montana Mountaineer with the bed covered with the Bak Flip cover. I only flipped it twice so the hitch was open with no issues, I actually place a maker on top of the cover to show me were the center line of the hitch is located.
Chuck

Old 08-22-2012, 08:42 PM
coconuts
New User
I have a Bakflip G2 and love it, I tow a gooseneck trailer and have no problem hooking it up with the cover flat (not against the window). Its not the same as a 5th wheel, but close.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:50 AM
my996duc1
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a BAK Flip HD.
You can see it in the pic.

I also run a bungee cord between the "D" rings to keep it fold up nicely and in place. Not sure if it is needed but an easy thing to do.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:54 AM
4stroke
Freshman User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
my996, what length is your 5er?

Old 08-23-2012, 11:21 AM
B&LLandscaping
Senior User
Works great with a 5er.

Just leave the last section before the cab down and have it folded up on that. I did the bungee cord thing for a while, but don't bother anymore, it isn't going anywhere. Fold it down and it fits right over the hitch when you're not towing.

It does make hooking up a bit more difficult, I have to get my butt up out of the seat to be able to see the hitch over top of the cover. It's more than worth that inconvenience.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:59 AM
Hdslider
Postmaster
I have the bak flip hd. Nice.but am looking at new bak roll x. Bak flip wont take any hail at all and dimples.very light hail.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:02 PM
B&LLandscaping
Senior User
Originally Posted by Hdslider
I have the bak flip hd. Nice.but am looking at new bak roll x. Bak flip wont take any hail at all and dimples.very light hail.
You have to step up to the F1 to get the harder material. My F1 stood up to hail bigger than golf ***** really well, way better than my truck did.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:01 PM
Hdslider
Postmaster
Originally Posted by B&LLandscaping
You have to step up to the F1 to get the harder material. My F1 stood up to hail bigger than golf ***** really well, way better than my truck did.
Thanks.didnt know it was that tough.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:30 AM
majkthreads
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Just be careful with the bakflip if your ever towed. Mine wasn't quite latched enough and when the tow truck was towing it into the dealer it came unlatched and whipped back to the rear window and shattered it.

Damaged the corner of the cover and obviously broke the window.

Towing company paid for it and learned a valuable lesson.

I love their covers. Dealer is putting a pin in the bed for the cover so that it activates the alarm if someone was to open the cover say I forget to lock the tailgate.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:37 PM
consolidated
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Hdslider
I switched out from a G2 to a Roll-X so I could install a TracRack sliding overhead rack system. So far it's working well, although there is some incidental interference between the two.

The Roll-X is easy to use, but has similar challenges like the Bakflip when you want to leave it partially open, but with the Roll-X you can leave it open any amount instead of just at the panel joints. I do like how it locks along the entire length of the rails, unlike the G2 which when you take a close look is easier to defeat, just pull up an edge. I'm not saying either is truly secure.

The TracRack works great! Easy to slide and lock in place, keeps the bed clear for fishing and camping gear, yaks on top. Truck also has Method wheels and body color bumper covers (no pic attachment option for non-supporters, I'll link later)

Old 08-26-2012, 03:41 AM
my996duc1
Elder User
Originally Posted by 4stroke
my996, what length is your 5er?
It measures out to 31' 10".

_

Old 10-21-2012, 04:56 PM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Added a Bakflip F1 to my truck. Seems like a well made unit.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:52 AM
rob17
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
This picture shows mine in the towing position. Works perfectly.

Rob

Old 10-22-2012, 09:29 PM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the cover as well.They are fantastic.Still have the use of entire bed when needed without removing and strong,water tight.Had one on my 02 as well and showed no wear after three years.Oh,by the way im stating the obvious but dont drop it on your fingers when closing.I was unfolding it from the rear window and dropped it on my thumb right in the track area.Broke my thumb and never felt more pain in my life.Brought me to my knees.Still have nightmares everytime I unfold it.2 or 3 hundred pounds,heavy!Ouch

Quick Reply: Bakflip tonneau covers