Mississippi Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Scndsin

Awww Gus, Its August Again...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 09:37 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 760 Likes on 542 Posts
Awww Gus, Its August Again...

We set all kinds of records in last months thread. Hope we can at least equal its posts, so ya'll help out. I'm working from my tablet once again, but it seems happy. Had to take a bud to St Dom for some out patient surgery this AM & at least their WiFi is fast. Not a lot to say, but speaking of records, heard that in July we had as much rain as we had all summer last year. Now if friggin Rankin County would just lift that dad blame burn ban.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:11 PM
3golfjack
Laughing Gas

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Rented a stump grinder this morning talk about some hard work. Afterwards took it back to Home Depot and was going to stop at chick-fil-a for lunch but there had to be at least a hundred cars in line.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:41 PM
gatormccluskey
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a pretty good day. Poured concrete - reviewed plans for a firm - Had a low bid for MDOT. Have a great evening.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:52 PM
Jdubya45
New User
Will be in Ellisville/Hattisburg area this weekend....please tell me cooler weather this weekend....

Old 08-01-2012, 08:54 PM
gatormccluskey
Posting Guru
Where are you from ? Name please

Old 08-01-2012, 09:13 PM
Jdubya45
New User
From SE Texas, names John...and you?

Old 08-01-2012, 11:03 PM
desperado_18_2000
Posting Guru
Didn't do much today but sit around the house and goof off. Days like this don't come often enough, even without a steady job I'm always on the grind trying to get things done.

Is this what a vacation feels like?

Old 08-02-2012, 07:12 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Sorry John. Its hotter than Texas here right now.... I just got back from the NE part of Texas... well, maybe a degree or 2 less this week.

Folks, I'm screwed. On my third day of really bad back spasms. Only way to walk upright is with a cane & I spend a large amount of time on the floor with legs propped up. No friggin' idea what set it off. No heavy lifting recently, bu I ain't hurt like this in over 20 years.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:23 AM
Jdubya45
New User
Sorry for your bad luck Scndsin, hope you get better.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:34 PM
f1504x4driver
Proud Pirate
Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts
Hope everyone has a good weekend, I will be working on vehicles. The wife's Taurus has a/c issues after just replacing a tire. I am too old and fat to drive without a/c anymore. My truck needs a trottle cable as my old one has way too much slack in it now. At least it is only 10 degrees hotter than Hell outside. David, Hope you are feeling better and back on your feet soon.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:35 PM
oldfordcoupe
More Turbo
i just completed a cam swap in my 77 bronco because the home shop around the corner from my .did;nt tighten the bolt that holds the cam gear an fuel pump encentric tight. it broke the 5/16 dowel that goes in the cam. also they put a retarted crank gear on in the retarted pos. i had the work done because i was in the middle of working on my 65. never again i just take more time and do iy myself. it took longer because it was only 2/3 hr a day with the heat. now the w/p bearing in making noise. this has not been a real good year so far.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:50 PM
desperado_18_2000
Posting Guru
Today I spent a little time over in Mobile AL, just north of the airport buying a 76 F100. This truck is far more solid than my current 74 F100, and I ended up buying it today for $500.

It's 360 powered, c6 2wd, and runs like a champ. I'm going back in the morning to load it up on the trailer and bring it home. I would drive it but it is missing a few parts, and has a very worn steering box so I'm not gonna even attempt to drive it home. All & All i'm pretty pleased with it and I'll try to have pictures up tomorrow to show you guys.

Y'all take it easy!

Old 08-04-2012, 07:19 AM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Hi folks;
I've been distracted by events with the work truck.
This goes back to last month.

On the evening of Tuesday the 24th of July I noticed that the inside of the right front tire was wet with hub oil.
On Wednesday at lunch I took it to the Ford dealer I tow for and put it in the shop.
I got it back on Friday at 4pm.

That evening after making a run the DPF (diesel particulate filter) light on the dash began blinking.
It went dark again after about 10 minutes of driving.
Saturday morning I went to my office to let a customer pick up a repaired auto.
When I went to leave the DPF light again started blinking and the truck went into a restricted operation mode not revving over 2K.

I parked it and we had it towed to the Cummins repair shop in Mobile on Monday morning.
It was diagnosed as a carbon blocked EGR preventing the truck from going into regen mode.
After the EGR was serviced on Tuesday and the regen was initiated it was found that the turbo was having problems.

Wednesday the 1st they installed a new turbo.
My boss took me over to Mobile Wednesday night at 7pm to pick up the truck.
I started back to Gulfport and made it 8 miles when the serpentine belt tore up.

There I was on the side of the interstate at 7:20pm.
My first call went to a towing company in Mobile for them to come and get me.
Then I called one the company owner who had brought me over to Mobile and requested that he return to the Cummins shop to pick me up once I had been towed there.

He was on the causeway headed to the Bass Pro Shop in Spanish Fort.
I suggested that he go ahead and do his shopping and head back for me afterward.

Pitts and Sons Towing was on scene in only 45 minutes and I was on the way back to Cummins 15 minutes later.
While I waited for the tow truck I determined that the water pump had failed resulting in the belt loss.

After I was back at the repair shop and the tow was completed I called the boss only to find that he was still shopping.
I thought about it for only an instant and then called my BIL who lives 10 miles from the Cummins shop to come get me.
I called the boss and told him to go straight home and not worry about me as I would stay overnight in Mobile and handle the situation with Cummins the next morning.

I was at the Cummins shop at 7am and arranged for the water pump replacement.
They were done with the truck once again at 11am.
Cummins did not charge for the labor of the water pump work as a way of satisfying my displeasure concerning the matter.

The truck is running well once again.

However yesterday morning I delivered a car to the Toyota dealer and after doing the paperwork I walked out to the truck to find the left front tire had gone flat.
I stuck a plug into the hole and aired it up.

I went immediately to the nearest truck tire shop where I was informed that the location of the puncture was too close to the side wall to be repaired.
Time for a new tire.

Further inspection of the tires showed a problem with the right front tire wearing abnormally.
The tire was worn on the inside edge down to a condition that would not pass a DOT inspection.
Another new tire.

The reason for the tire wear problem is that the Kingpins are wearing out.
So they are next.

Now the Bosses were gone for an event yesterday and are not aware of the tire problems.
I really do not want to have that conversation Monday.

Now none of the problems are the result of anything I have done or did not do.

The real bitch of all this is that the last payment for the truck was made last month!

Old 08-04-2012, 08:47 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Wow. Yall got a lot junk goin' on... I'm still trying to walk upright.

Bryan, I know what it feels like to be the bearer of bad news to those in power... Even if its categorically not your fault. Good luck with that conversation.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:23 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

FWIW dept:

This AM on SPEED they have a new "My Classic Car" that deals with the 2011 Cruisin the Coast. It should replay tomorrow & all week as well & should be available online. (most things are)

Quick Reply: Awww Gus, Its August Again...