Sponsored by:

Water in fuel question

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 09:13 AM
HowieE
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water in fuel question

On my last trip i was getting water in fuel lights. Stopped and drained the separator. I got about a 1/4 teaspoon of water and what looked like rust scale. Got the light again and had a mechanic drain it. He did into an oil drain pan so I have no idea what came. out. Got it again and I drained it. very little water but still to rust scale. I gave it an extra shot of Stanadyne and continued. The light came on again but went out shortly thereafter.

My question is what was that rust scale like matter I saw in the fuel. I did not touch it so I can not say for sure it it was in fact rust or algye.

I am home now and will drain the separator but could use some ideas as to what to look for.

The truck does sit for weeks at a time.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:36 AM
nmclella
Posting Guru
Water in fuel question

What power train are you running?

Old 09-08-2015, 07:40 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
The rust builds up in the separator over time from a small amount of water being in there. Then when you get a tank with a good amount of water in it which it seems you did the first drain you will see that "rust water". The second drain might have a hint of rust at the very beginning but should be mostly clear.

The newer separators are small and will need frequent draining with a bad tank of fuel. Many times it is best to drain off the tank and put fresh fuel in. You may be able to put the bad fuel in a container and let the water settle.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:08 AM
HowieE
Senior User
Originally Posted by nmclella
What power train are you running?
2004 6.0 Excursion.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:25 AM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by HowieE
On my last trip i was getting water in fuel lights. Stopped and drained the separator. I got about a 1/4 teaspoon of water and what looked like rust scale. Got the light again and had a mechanic drain it. He did into an oil drain pan so I have no idea what came. out. Got it again and I drained it. very little water but still to rust scale. I gave it an extra shot of Stanadyne and continued. The light came on again but went out shortly thereafter.

My question is what was that rust scale like matter I saw in the fuel. I did not touch it so I can not say for sure it it was in fact rust or algye.

I am home now and will drain the separator but could use some ideas as to what to look for.

The truck does sit for weeks at a time.
The little bit of water helps algae grow (it's a rust color..).
That is what I had as well. I got the WIF lite several times a week and then I cleaned it.. haven't had the WIF lite in a couple of years now.

I pulled the driver's side front and rear tires up on ramps (I have heavy-duty SUV ramps - don't use the cheap ones for automobiles !) so the Ex was leaning - to help the HFCM (Horizontal Fuel Conditioning Module - where the filter and WIF drain is) drain better.
I pulled the drain (you DO have the upgraded knurled **** one right!)
I then used carb cleaner (some say use Brake Cleaner instead) with the straw and gave the inside a real thorough cleaning into a pan. I pointed that straw all around inside and got a large amount of algae (rust/brown colored).
Put the drain plug back in and voila - no issues since.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:59 AM
nmclella
Posting Guru
I had the same issue as Misky and followed the same procedure to get rid of that annoying WIF light.

I however did not have the knurled **** upgrade, and had a stripped original plug.

Here is how I removed it.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-easy-way.html

Cheers,

Nate

Old 09-09-2015, 10:11 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Personally I'd probably go ahead and change the filter on the hfcm. When is the last time you changed it? I change mine every other oil change.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:55 AM
HowieE
Senior User
Originally Posted by Misky6.0
The little bit of water helps algae grow (it's a rust color..).
That is what I had as well. I got the WIF lite several times a week and then I cleaned it.. haven't had the WIF lite in a couple of years now.

I pulled the driver's side front and rear tires up on ramps (I have heavy-duty SUV ramps - don't use the cheap ones for automobiles !) so the Ex was leaning - to help the HFCM (Horizontal Fuel Conditioning Module - where the filter and WIF drain is) drain better.
I pulled the drain (you DO have the upgraded knurled **** one right!)
I then used carb cleaner (some say use Brake Cleaner instead) with the straw and gave the inside a real thorough cleaning into a pan. I pointed that straw all around inside and got a large amount of algae (rust/brown colored).
Put the drain plug back in and voila - no issues since.
I have ordered the new plug and a new HFCM cover and will try the drain and clean procedure. The cover may be overkill but looking at the cost of the gasket and WIF sensor if I have to remove the cover while on the road I will just replace it.

To prevent fuel drain from the tank while working is there a place where I can just pinch off the line?

I guess I brought this issue on myself. I had gotten lax in putting Stanadyne Blue in with each fueling.

Will post on filter condition when I do the work.