1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.4L Super Duty Stalls Randomly

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 02:58 PM
'02 F250
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4L Super Duty Stalls Randomly

OK...Here is my issue and I hope someone can help me here. Ive got a 2002 F250 5.4L 4x4. This truck has been stalling out on me. This happens at random times. Ill be at a stop light or going down the highway and I lose power steering, gas, etc. After a few seconds or minutes Im able to restart. All the lights and dash are normal. This could happen one day and not the next. Very random. Its not throwing any codes, check engine light...I just got a new fuel pump and filter in it. Recently the rear intake gasket failed and was repaired. No sputtering just one second its fine the next its out. Im a carpenter not a mechanic and Ive talked to a bunch of guys and even my usual mechanic seems baffled. Any ideas?! Thank you

Old 08-17-2012, 09:11 PM
03F350XLT
Senior User
So I had the same issue. Intermittent stalls over the course of a year. No ryme or reason could be on highway could be at a stop sign. I troubleshooted for months and replaced to many parts n sensors to list. I could never get it to stalls while hooked up to my scanner or mimic the issue while working in it. The 03 f350 5.4 I have has the fuel pump relay built into the cjb or as most of us call it the fuse panel at the drivers knee space. Some 250s n 350s have them under the hood or behind the radio. Not mine and I think 02 and 03 were the only years with this " unserviceable fuel pump relay. Anyways that was the cause of my truck just turning off out of no where problem. Replaced the entire fuse panel 460$. Hope this ain't your issue but it just might be. After a year it happened more regularly and I found instead of firing right up the first try after the stall it would crank a few times then start. Then have to sit for a few minutes. Untill it finally crapped out and would crank with no start at all. No pressure at fuel rail when in no start condition. Relay was overheating and finally failed completely. Hope this helps. Wish some1 told me this. I tracked it down from a guy with a 5.4 expedition with the same exact issue.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:30 AM
'02 F250
New User
Thanks very much... I'll look into the central junction box and see what I can find...

Old 08-31-2012, 08:54 PM
'02 F250
New User
Well...that was it! After confirming I had a fuel issue and eliminating other possibilities (including other locations for the relay), I bought the very expensive non-returnable cjb... after installing it I have had no further problems. Its a shame that the fuel pump relay is built into that. And its nuts so many service manuals cant get this location nailed down. THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!

Old 08-31-2012, 09:11 PM
03F350XLT
Senior User
Your welcome. Took me a year to track it down and a lotta $ in parts.

Old 05-10-2015, 02:49 PM
Rollie4x4
New User
I have dealt with this for a couple of years now. I changed multiple components including fuel pump to avoid purchasing the $600.00 fuse block that has the fuel pump relay built into it. I screwed around with this for too long not to share this helpful hint

First
Let me help you determine if your problem is the relay. remove the passengers side kick panel. behind it you will see the inertia fuel shutoff switch. It has a reset button on top of it and has a plug on the bottom of it with a green and yellow wire on one side and a purple or pink and black on the other.

hook a test light onto the green and yellow wire. start the truck. Drive or what ever. you need to watch the light to see if it goes out just before the truck dies.

* If the light goes out just before it dies it is your fuel pump relay.
* If the truck dies and then the light goes out after it dies then most likely computer (PCM)
* If the truck dies and you have ---------- where the odometer mileage reading is likely computer (PCM)

Second
Cheep Fix to fix fuel pump relay. Simply cut the green and yellow wire. (RED MARK ON ATTACHMENT) Then on the inertia fuel shutoff switch side of the wire hook up a new $5.00 relay. Be sure the relay powers up when your key is in the start and run position.

Name:  Fuel%20pump%20relay_zpsp2xcrxui.jpg
Views: 18480
Size:  106.7 KB

Old 08-26-2015, 01:51 PM
rclarkiv4
New User
Originally Posted by Rollie4x4
I have dealt with this for a couple of years now. I changed multiple components including fuel pump to avoid purchasing the $600.00 fuse block that has the fuel pump relay built into it. I screwed around with this for too long not to share this helpful hint

First
Let me help you determine if your problem is the relay. remove the passengers side kick panel. behind it you will see the inertia fuel shutoff switch. It has a reset button on top of it and has a plug on the bottom of it with a green and yellow wire on one side and a purple or pink and black on the other.

hook a test light onto the green and yellow wire. start the truck. Drive or what ever. you need to watch the light to see if it goes out just before the truck dies.

* If the light goes out just before it dies it is your fuel pump relay.
* If the truck dies and then the light goes out after it dies then most likely computer (PCM)
* If the truck dies and you have ---------- where the odometer mileage reading is likely computer (PCM)

Second
Cheep Fix to fix fuel pump relay. Simply cut the green and yellow wire. (RED MARK ON ATTACHMENT) Then on the inertia fuel shutoff switch side of the wire hook up a new $5.00 relay. Be sure the relay powers up when your key is in the start and run position.

So I want to wire the relay up I'm just not quite sure how... What side of relay do I put the green and yellow to ?
And then just cap the other side of the green and yellow off? Also can I pull power to the relay from the orange and black wire from the inertia switch as well?

Old 08-26-2015, 03:54 PM
Rollie4x4
New User
Looking at the bottom of a relay you will see numbers for each terminal.

#30 will go to your battery with a fuse in line. (Constant power)
#87 will go to the inertia fuel shutoff switch the DG/YE wire
#85 will go to ground
#86 will go to the fuse block or any power wire that when your key is in the start and/or run position it has power. This is important. If you hook it to a constant 12 volts your fuel pump will run constantly.

Yes the other wire gets caped off

I hope this thread has been helping people

Old 08-26-2015, 08:49 PM
rclarkiv4
New User
Thank you.. Big help to me for sure appreciate it

Old 08-29-2015, 11:39 AM
rclarkiv4
New User
Yea that didn't work unfortunately .. Made a weird *** noise when I turned the key on started for like five seconds and quickly shut off..

Old 10-15-2015, 09:23 AM
Rollie4x4
New User
Originally Posted by rclarkiv4
Yea that didn't work unfortunately .. Made a weird *** noise when I turned the key on started for like five seconds and quickly shut off..

Did you do the test light to determine the problem?

If your problem is the fuel pump relay that is built into the fuse block.....This is a way to bypass/repair it.

Old 11-21-2017, 03:08 PM
cwickd
New User
I am in the same boat and trying to repair. There are 2 # 87's, how does this get wired? please advise. Thank you.

Old 11-21-2017, 03:20 PM
Rollie4x4
New User
Originally Posted by cwickd
I am in the same boat and trying to repair. There are 2 # 87's, how does this get wired? please advise. Thank you.
Use a ohm meter and test. Chances are they are both the same connection inside the relay

Old 11-21-2017, 04:11 PM
cwickd
New User
Im using another relay to jump acc power, constant power and ground from. If I clip the wire from the inertia switch : you are suggesting to cap the fuse panel side off and connect the inertia switch side to one of the 87's on the relay? Doesnt the other #87 pin need to send the signal to the fule pump? if so where do i find that wire. Thank you in advance

Old 11-21-2017, 04:20 PM
cwickd
New User

Quick Reply: 5.4L Super Duty Stalls Randomly