Notices

Trying to get a wood trim aftermarket piece off my stering wheel....Little help pleas

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 10:49 AM
redvet
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to get a wood trim aftermarket piece off my stering wheel....Little help pleas

I put a full real wood dash kit in my Expedition about 2-3 years ago.
I also put one of those wood steering wheel trim pieces.I want to take the steering wheel trim off but that 3M tapes really sticks.
Any suggestion?.
Just in case it comes off hurting the leather I'm trying to find a excellent used prairie tan wheel at some junk yards on line.
I figure it's got to cost at least $250 from Ford.

Last edited by redvet; 05-13-2003 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:39 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend

I would try a heat gun and heat it very slowly. You want to heat it, not scorch it, so at least twelve inches distance while heating. Most of those glues give up around 200-300 degrees, so does the plastic. So, be careful. I find a pair of long needle nose plyers works best to peel things away while applying the heat.

Old 05-14-2003, 05:23 PM
redvet
Senior User

Originally posted by rebocardo
I would try a heat gun and heat it very slowly. You want to heat it, not scorch it, so at least twelve inches distance while heating. Most of those glues give up around 200-300 degrees, so does the plastic. So, be careful. I find a pair of long needle nose plyers works best to peel things away while applying the heat.

Thanks rebocardo
I tried a hairblower and it didn't do anything.
Went with a buddy's heat gun and it came off pretty easy with the foam piece with glue stayed on the wheel but came off easily using more heat.
Some glue residue remained but some WD-40 got it off.
Followed with Lexol cleaner and conditioner.
Is looks great except for some dirt in the groove on the outer diameter of the whole wheel.
I was told to try Lemon Soft Scrub without bleach and follow with leather conditioner.
Will try that this weekend.