6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Great 5700 mile Summer Trip

Old 10-03-2012, 07:38 AM
washley1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went a LITTLE further...up through Georgia to Kentucky, then to St Louis, Kansas, Denver, Utah, Vegas, Yosemite, San Jose, Petaluma, Redwoods, three weeks on the Oregon coast, Mt St Helens, Olympic Peninsula, Seattle, Whistler, Jasper, Banff, Toronto, up state NY, eastern shore of Maryland, coastal NC, then home to Tampa. 15997 miles, over half pulling the Montana Big Sky at 16K. Got an overall average of 10. Considering several big Rocky Mountain pulls as well as the Sierras, Cascades, Olympics, and Canadian coastal mountains, I figured a job well done. I have the 430 rear end, so I guess that's part of why my mileage is less than yours, but it felt effortless for the most part all summer.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:56 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
My truck is rated only for B5,I think your's is also. Using B20 should cause some kind of problems. Best I can determine it would damage seals and gaskets. But it's very hard to pin down. Neither Ford nor the Bio board want to talk about it.
I didn't see this before I left for vacation.

There isn't much that we can do around here. I know that my farmer friend has their fuel supplier put some additives in their bulk tanks now.

I think the biggest concerns with the biodiesel would be warranty issues on vehicles that are not rated for the biodiesel and gelling in the winter. IIRC a few years back the Bloomington Schools had to close because their buses gelled up due to biodiesel.
Biodiesel fuel woes close Bloomington schools

I would have to read the statutes again but I think they either removed the biodiesel from the #1 or reduced the blend or something like that.

There was much the same concern with the ethanol in fuels with gaskets and seals but I think a lot of it ended up being a non-issue.

Personally, I don't worry about it much as there is not much I can do about it. I change my fuel filters every 10k miles and haven't seen anything to concern me when I change them. I usually run fuel additive as well. Gray in the summer, white in the winter. I wonder if the red bottle I have floating around from 2 years ago is still any good?

I think one of the other concerns with the biodiesel is that it will clean out any crud in the tanks or lines and clog filters. I suppose since we have had biodiesel in our fuel for the last few years that it is a non-issue.

Thoughts?

Old 10-17-2012, 12:22 PM
Terry SD
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
Just completed my summer trip. 7 weeks, 5700 miles, probably around half towing the 5er, one oil change in Michigan. ATL up Nashville and Indy then through michigan, across the UP, over to minneapolis and then back to ATL. With a lot of stoups and touring. Truck was perfect, pulled like a young mule. I only checked the mileage on one tank. From just north of the IL. state line to Paducha KY. I think it was 540 miles and a hand measured average of 11.2 MPG. Best I've ever gotten towing and I'm thinking maybe I didn't get it full but it sure seemed to be full. Might have had a tail wind. Anyway, I'll take anything over 10 so I'm happy. I now have put 50,000 miles on the truck for a total of 54000 and have had no real problems. Just thought you would like to know that some of these 6.4s have done fine.
Sounds like a great trip,Good to hear about your 6.4 keep rolling.
My 6.4 has 106,000 on it and has been good so far other than
some regen smoke here and there.