Engine Oil Pressure Gauge - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Engine Oil Pressure Gauge

Old 08-14-2012, 04:14 PM
GatorBait1996
Junior User
GatorBait1996 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Engine Oil Pressure Gauge

I'm having issues with the Engine Oil Pressure Gauge in Instrument Cluster panel. Usually happens during first startup until I run it for awhile, turn off the engine and restart, after that the gauge is fine. So, it starts in the normal, everything is good as long as I'm giving it gas, as soon as I come to a stop or slowing down the needle drops all the way to the bottom and I'll get a message taht says "Check Gauges", as soon as I give it gas the needle goes back up to normal, it never goes above normal. And like I said earlier, aftrer running for awhile I can shut the engine off, come back and start it up and the gauge is fine.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this or knows what's going on. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:20 PM
texastech_diesel
Disgruntled Texan
texastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputation
It's an idiot light, the pressure switch opens between 5-7psi and reads full at any point above that; it's not accurate for more than an 'on' or 'off' answer, and only feeds a signal to the dash cluster, not the PCM. If the LPO pressure really is falling off, the truck will die from lack of oil in the HPO reservoir in about 15-30 seconds. If the truck runs normally, I'd vote the pressure switch is just acting weird and it's not a real mechanical issue. It's the sensor on the oil filter housing that has a single wire running into the connector.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:21 PM
BPofMD
FTE MD Chapter Ldr
BPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputation
In other words, replace the pressure switch.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:38 PM
GatorBait1996
Junior User
Thanks guys, do you know where it's located on the 6.0's, hope it's easy.

I just had some low oil pressure work done at the Ford dealership, the truck died while driving, IPR valve was replaced along with an o-ring that went bad somewhere that was causing loss of pressure to start.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:41 PM
GatorBait1996
Junior User
Originally Posted by GatorBait1996 View Post

I just had some low oil pressure work done at the Ford dealership, the truck died while driving, IPR valve was replaced along with an o-ring that went bad somewhere that was causing loss of pressure to start.
Scratch that, the post refreshed when I submitted that and I saw that texastech_diesel added some EOP info. Thanks!

Old 08-14-2012, 04:42 PM
npccpartsman
Post Fiend
npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.

Standing at the front of the truck it's almost directly behind the oil filter housing. It has a one wire connector. Don't confuse it with the EOT sensor which is just to the left.

http://dan.prxy.org/Truck/6L_bible_h.../Page_025.html This is actually a view from the drivers side top.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:55 PM
texastech_diesel
Disgruntled Texan
texastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputation
I saw that texastech_diesel added some EOP info. Thanks!
I edited it when I was adding the pics, it took me a few minutes to track down the right book to get them partsmans link shows you exactly where it is, look for the two large black plastic caps right in the middle of the engine, then look down for a white connector with a single wire.