Notices
1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Bought a '66 F250 4x4

 
  #241  
Old 05-09-2013, 07:13 PM
1972RedNeck's Avatar
1972RedNeck
1972RedNeck is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Townsend, MT
Posts: 3,492
1972RedNeck has a good reputation on FTE.1972RedNeck has a good reputation on FTE.
It was about 5,200.

It would be cool to stroke that 427 out to 4.375.
 
  #242  
Old 05-09-2013, 10:53 PM
TA455HO's Avatar
TA455HO
TA455HO is offline
Post Fiend
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,209
TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.
I'm reading Barry Rabotnick's book right now. Was sort of thinking a 4.250 stroke, but not set in stone. I do like the aftermarket blocks, but I've already got a stock block so might as well run with it.

Other reading material on hand is Steve Christ's book and Jay Brown's intake compare. Then I'll have some decisions to make.
 
  #243  
Old 07-10-2013, 08:33 PM
1972RedNeck's Avatar
1972RedNeck
1972RedNeck is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Townsend, MT
Posts: 3,492
1972RedNeck has a good reputation on FTE.1972RedNeck has a good reputation on FTE.
How's the overdrive?
 
  #244  
Old 07-11-2013, 01:05 PM
TA455HO's Avatar
TA455HO
TA455HO is offline
Post Fiend
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,209
TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.
The NP205 is going back together for that project. New races, bearings, seals and gaskets so hopefully it doesn't leak.

Last night I put in a new FelPro teflon rear main seal in the 300-6 in the white truck. I don't have any lift or hoist (yet). Holding the motor up with no pan attached at the moment and no bellhousing to support the back end was tricky, but my trannie jack found another use. Doing it all in-frame. Dust shield and flywheel can go back on now. Then new pan and valve cover gaskets so hopefully it doesn't leak.

And got the new BFG radial TAs mounted for the Trans Am so it's getting close now. 5 tires mounted was $923 out the door.

And my Dodge diesel had an injector pump and lift pump go out (bad lift pump can wipe out the injector pump) which ran almost $3,200 in parts so that set me back a little, plus the time to troubleshoot what was wrong didn't exactly free up my time.
 
  #245  
Old 07-11-2013, 01:23 PM
1972RedNeck's Avatar
1972RedNeck
1972RedNeck is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Townsend, MT
Posts: 3,492
1972RedNeck has a good reputation on FTE.1972RedNeck has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by TA455HO View Post
And my Dodge diesel had an injector pump and lift pump go out (bad lift pump can wipe out the injector pump) which ran almost $3,200 in parts so that set me back a little, plus the time to troubleshoot what was wrong didn't exactly free up my time.
That would have been a good time to p-pump it.
 
  #246  
Old 07-11-2013, 01:53 PM
TA455HO's Avatar
TA455HO
TA455HO is offline
Post Fiend
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,209
TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.
That would be cool. Next time. I hate the VP44 but it did go for 14 years without an issue. But, this is a common problem and I think Dodge should have done a recall on it.
 
  #247  
Old 07-11-2013, 02:58 PM
1972RedNeck's Avatar
1972RedNeck
1972RedNeck is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Townsend, MT
Posts: 3,492
1972RedNeck has a good reputation on FTE.1972RedNeck has a good reputation on FTE.
Did you put a better lift pump on?
 
  #248  
Old 07-11-2013, 04:10 PM
TA455HO's Avatar
TA455HO
TA455HO is offline
Post Fiend
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,209
TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.
Yep. And I'm adding a couple of fuel pressure gauges to the A pillar. One before and one after the filter. Hopefully catch the problem before it kills the injection pump next time.
 
  #249  
Old 09-30-2013, 08:36 PM
1972RedNeck's Avatar
1972RedNeck
1972RedNeck is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Townsend, MT
Posts: 3,492
1972RedNeck has a good reputation on FTE.1972RedNeck has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck View Post
How's the overdrive?
 
  #250  
Old 09-30-2013, 09:01 PM
TA455HO's Avatar
TA455HO
TA455HO is offline
Post Fiend
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,209
TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.
One word. Ranger.
 
  #251  
Old 09-30-2013, 09:35 PM
1972RedNeck's Avatar
1972RedNeck
1972RedNeck is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Townsend, MT
Posts: 3,492
1972RedNeck has a good reputation on FTE.1972RedNeck has a good reputation on FTE.
Too many irons in the fire, huh? Your not the only one.
 
  #252  
Old 12-17-2013, 10:06 PM
TA455HO's Avatar
TA455HO
TA455HO is offline
Post Fiend
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,209
TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.
A package showed up at the house tonight that I was looking forward to. I had found an NOS floor mat for sale - totally mislabeled part. I figured if it was for a 2WD maybe astronaut or someone might be interested in it. My 2WD will use carpets as originally equipped so I wouldn't need a rubber mat for it. Anyway, I opened it up and unrolled it carefully hoping not to crack it, as others have thought could easily happen....it looked very nice but nearly wadded up inside the box. Folded in half and rolled, but not rolled well. I figured there is no way it will EVER flatten out. I had an old mat out of one of my 4x4 trucks sitting in the back while I worked inside its cab so I rolled it out next to it. I looked at them both for a while and started seeing the same mold marks and details and then it dawned on me. It's a mat for one of my 4x4 trucks!! Even better it came with these two huge blueprints/templates from the Ohio Rubber Company dated 1965 that say the mold number and where to cut the mat and how much to cut for all sorts of different models/transmissions. Those are almost more amazing, but I'm not going to pictures of them just yet. Now that I know what it is I might be able to get one more but I'm not holding my breath.

I need a nice warm day to set this outside and let it relax.

Name:  Floor_Mat.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  177.3 KB
 
  #253  
Old 12-17-2013, 10:42 PM
Shadowrider123
Shadowrider123 is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,833
Shadowrider123 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Fill the tub with hot water and dump it in. That's what I do.

Then I get a talking to from the Walking Boss.
 
  #254  
Old 12-17-2013, 10:44 PM
Boss9F100's Avatar
Boss9F100
Boss9F100 is offline
Backyard Project Manager
Join Date: May 2008
Location: PHX AZ
Posts: 2,553
Boss9F100 has a great reputation on FTE.Boss9F100 has a great reputation on FTE.Boss9F100 has a great reputation on FTE.Boss9F100 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by TA455HO View Post
I'm reading Barry Rabotnick's book right now. Was sort of thinking a 4.250 stroke, but not set in stone. I do like the aftermarket blocks, but I've already got a stock block so might as well run with it.

Other reading material on hand is Steve Christ's book and Jay Brown's intake compare. Then I'll have some decisions to make.
Throw steve christs book out the window . . .

Barry's and Jay's absolutely great.

4.250 Stroke like I did . . .LOL
 
  #255  
Old 12-17-2013, 10:46 PM
Boss9F100's Avatar
Boss9F100
Boss9F100 is offline
Backyard Project Manager
Join Date: May 2008
Location: PHX AZ
Posts: 2,553
Boss9F100 has a great reputation on FTE.Boss9F100 has a great reputation on FTE.Boss9F100 has a great reputation on FTE.Boss9F100 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by TA455HO View Post
A package showed up at the house tonight that I was looking forward to. I had found an NOS floor mat for sale - totally mislabeled part. I figured if it was for a 2WD maybe astronaut or someone might be interested in it. My 2WD will use carpets as originally equipped so I wouldn't need a rubber mat for it. Anyway, I opened it up and unrolled it carefully hoping not to crack it, as others have thought could easily happen....it looked very nice but nearly wadded up inside the box. Folded in half and rolled, but not rolled well. I figured there is no way it will EVER flatten out. I had an old mat out of one of my 4x4 trucks sitting in the back while I worked inside its cab so I rolled it out next to it. I looked at them both for a while and started seeing the same mold marks and details and then it dawned on me. It's a mat for one of my 4x4 trucks!! Even better it came with these two huge blueprints/templates from the Ohio Rubber Company dated 1965 that say the mold number and where to cut the mat and how much to cut for all sorts of different models/transmissions. Those are almost more amazing, but I'm not going to pictures of them just yet. Now that I know what it is I might be able to get one more but I'm not holding my breath.

I need a nice warm day to set this outside and let it relax.

Attachment 86823
I never get so lucky. I found a NOS one at Green Sales and inside box was a used and torn one! THey would not let me return . . . High priced ripoffs, not the first time they have got me on something.

Nice warm day . . .? Quick send it to me as its going to be 76 deg here tomorrow . . I will let you know how it fits my truck . .

ITs warm in shop right now. Lights heating shop to the point I am tempted to turn the A/C on. I just looked at thermometer. Its 82 Deg in shop no heat on! Amazing how much heat the lights put out. So yes I will turn the A/C on now or open the garage door for a bit to cool it down!
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bought a '66 F250 4x4


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.