Notices
1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Bought a '66 F250 4x4

Old 01-06-2013, 04:44 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
Hey not sure if I have mentioned it in this thread yet. I have a 66 F350 Custom Cab I am parting. Most of the trim is already off. I have pic's of some of it in one of my albums or gallerys on here. PM me if ya think I may have something you can use. the truck runs and drives with no brakes. I would give it to a good home if anyone wants to cover shipping cost or come get it before the village spring clean up. At that time I will pull the 390 FE and a few other parts and it will go on the scrap barge. This is not a for sale thing. The truck is free. It is just to good to scrap so I hope someone wants it.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:15 PM
TA455HO
Post Fiend
TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.
Speaking of brakes, I'm working on the brakes on the white truck. The front drums came off fine, but the rears were being stubborn in terms of the three countersunk flat head slotted screws on each drum. They are a 3/8" - 16 x 11/16" or maybe 3/4". They have some fairly huge slots in the heads. I did not want to damage any of them since they are not readily available in larger quantities, but using my (biggest at the time) screwdriver with too small of a tip was obviously going to slip. So, I went looking for the correct screwdriver to remove them and came up with this BFS (Big *ucking Screwdriver)

PROTO Slotted Screwdriver, 5/8 In Tip, 27 In L - Screwdrivers - 2RDT8|J9648C - Grainger Industrial Supply

Doesn't look like much in the picture but it is 27" long with a 1/2" shank and a 5/8" tip. Fits the slot PERFECTLY, I tried it before I bought it by bringing a drum and one screw from the front in with me. They were looking at me sort of funny when I plopped a brake drum on their counter. I got a bit of a discount off of that list price, but it is still spendy.

I used the inside fleshy part of my knee to hold it firmly in the slot and then used a 1/2" wrench to provide the torque on the shank. Each one of them broke loose and came out clean with one exception. I was admittedly getting tired and as I was applying good force to the last one, but sort of bouncing to try to break it loose, it still slipped out of the slot so I grabbed my 12" Crescent wrench and adjusted it to the 1/2" shank and then it broke loose easier than any. I should have started with the Crescent wrench. Note to self...

So, I did mar that last one. Sort of a bummer as new ones are not common.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:30 PM
1972RedNeck
Postmaster
1972RedNeck has a good reputation on FTE.1972RedNeck has a good reputation on FTE.
You need an impact driver. It takes 'em out every time. Once out, I just leave them in the glove box.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:11 PM
TA455HO
Post Fiend
TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck View Post
You need an impact driver. It takes 'em out every time. Once out, I just leave them in the glove box.
I have an impact driver but its one of those Ingersoll Rand Thunder Guns. At 10,000 RPM and 625 ft./lbs torque it's a little too fast and powerful for something like this as you only get one chance with it. I didn't want to drill out any of them as that would just take longer. I can imagine an impact driver would work, but I probably just have one that is a bit crazy to control.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:02 AM
1972RedNeck
Postmaster
1972RedNeck has a good reputation on FTE.1972RedNeck has a good reputation on FTE.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:53 AM
TA455HO
Post Fiend
I have two of those kits but I don't think the widest is as wide as the one in your picture. I tried with the widest and thickest tip I have and it was just going to mar the screw slot if I continued so I didn't use it. You can see the difference between them and the tip of the BFS.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:30 PM
1972RedNeck
Postmaster
How's your gear vendor's coming along?

Old 01-14-2013, 10:25 AM
TA455HO
Post Fiend
I received it on last Thursday, I think it was. I've been reading the manual some. The 4x4 lockout is accomplished easily on trucks with a 4x4 indicatior light. That sounds plug and play. But, they still caution you to turn the system completely off when using 4x4 and that this lockout is only a fail-safe measure.

For older systems without an indicator you can do one of two things. Fabricate your own two switch lockout system using the 4x4 shift linkage. Or turn the system off manually before engaging 4x4, which they still recommend.

Since I'm a certified electronic technician I think I'll have to figure out a way to hook up some switches.

First, though, I need to get a rebuild kit for the NP205 and go through it before I pull the Dana 24.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:56 PM
1972RedNeck
Postmaster
Originally Posted by TA455HO View Post
I received it on last Thursday, I think it was. I've been reading the manual some. The 4x4 lockout is accomplished easily on trucks with a 4x4 indicatior light. That sounds plug and play. But, they still caution you to turn the system completely off when using 4x4 and that this lockout is only a fail-safe measure.

For older systems without an indicator you can do one of two things. Fabricate your own two switch lockout system using the 4x4 shift linkage. Or turn the system off manually before engaging 4x4, which they still recommend.

Since I'm a certified electronic technician I think I'll have to figure out a way to hook up some switches.

First, though, I need to get a rebuild kit for the NP205 and go through it before I pull the Dana 24.
So how's it going?

Old 02-01-2013, 04:41 PM
TA455HO
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck View Post
So how's it going?
I've been getting one of the Trans Ams ready to sell so not making much headway on the overdrive yet. I did run across another beauty. Probably been for sale for a while, but I'm slow...

1966 F250 Custom Cab original survivor 352 4 speed

It's a little on the rough side and needs some bigger tires at least.
But, not bad looking overall.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:53 PM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Buzz44 has a good reputation on FTE.Buzz44 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by TA455HO View Post
I've been getting one of the Trans Ams ready to sell so not making much headway on the overdrive yet. I did run across another beauty. Probably been for sale for a while, but I'm slow...

1966 F250 Custom Cab original survivor 352 4 speed

It's a little on the rough side and needs some bigger tires at least.
But, not bad looking overall.
Looks like it might be sitting out in Indiana. Looks like someone took it back east to sell. Price would say as much. It is a nice 4wd slick. Looks like it is the same color as my 63 corinthian white.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:20 AM
motion500
New User
motion500 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by NumberDummy View Post

Has an aftermarket 'diamond plate' step bumper, most likely dealer installed, possibly made by the Fey Bumper Co., the largest supplier of step bumpers on the West Coast.
I've been scratching my head on my massive and well built diamond plate bumper for some time (couldn't find matches in pictures online etc.). This may be the missing key for my 63 Flareside.
As my truck was a special order, I've been trying to decide replacing this bumper with similar or the small one normally seen.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:23 PM
1972RedNeck
Postmaster
You got that overdrive running yet?

Old 02-24-2013, 06:57 PM
old broke prospector
Elder User
old broke prospector is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.old broke prospector is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Congrats on the pickup. Everyone will raise an eyebrow on any claim on low milage but here is a couple ways to convince yourself.

The steering should still be tight, kingpins tight, brake and clutch pads lightly worn, gas pedel lightly worn, seat covering may be bad but the padding and expecially the springs under the covering should still be intact, clutch not worn out, turn signals still tight, door hinges, etc. tight.

Check the drive train and undercarriage for any sign of replaced components, should not have ever been overhauled or major items replaced.

Oil seals should be very old and leak or soon start leaking after sitting a lot of years, should have some blow by on the valve seals with some smoke coming off the pcv or oil fill spout when hot.

I convinced myself the 24,000 miles on my 62 4x4 are "orignal" due to the tag was 1973 and the story of it being wrecked in 1973 fits the story as did the ton of dirt dobber nests under the dash and above the headliner, etc. It was under a fallen down shed on a farm and of course, she is as tight as a knats butttt stretched over a fence post.

You and the guy that buys it from you are the only two that matters when it comes to how low milage your truck is.

Good luck, all 1959 to 1968 original factory 4x4s are hard to find. I really like the 66 grill. I know where there is a 66 4x4 torn apart for $1000 in the Stillwater, OK craigs list, I called about it but changed my mind as I have two 3/4 ton 2X4s on my farm that need to be sold or some restoration work done. Sadly, it is hard to work these girls and get your money out of them.

Dennis

Old 02-25-2013, 08:15 PM
TA455HO
Post Fiend
Since I have the two trucks I can compare them side-by-side and I begin to see what TripleFrame was talking about. The red truck has 179,000 miles. The white truck is the one in question.

Clutch pedal on the red truck.

Clutch pedal on the white truck.

Steering wheel on the red truck.

Steering wheel on the white truck. Ribs are perfect. Paint mostly intact.

Seat on the red truck. Recovered. That's cracking and the springs on the drivers side are shot.

Seat on the white truck. It's out while I clean underneath it.

Drivers armrest on the red truck.

Armrest on the white truck.

Upper inner door panel on the red truck.

Upper inner door panel on the white truck.

Both are original paint. Tell me if you want to see more pictures.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bought a '66 F250 4x4

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.