Sponsored by: Moser

Coil shock front end

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 07:20 PM
77 2wd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coil shock front end

I have a 77 f100 2wd, with 31x10.50x15 all terrains, i put a half ton rearend and leaf springs on it so the back wheel wells have plenty of clearance, but when i hit a bump or something while im turning or a big one while going straight they rub, long story short there's only about two fingers width clearance on the front, and apparently i cant put a body lift kit on the truck because the steering box is close to the firewall? idk longer story not so long, how can i stiffen up the front? ive heard of putting shims in the coil springs, any advice will be much appreciated! thanks guys sorry for such a long post

Old 08-06-2012, 08:27 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Let's look at the front end systematically.

There are three things which determine static ride height and travel:
1. Nose weight (or sprung weight)
2. Spring height
3. Spring rate

Lessen the nose weight and of course, the vehicle will likely raise up.

With only two fingers width (I assume btwn the I-beam and the bump stops), it appears that the front springs have settled. Based on my discussions with FordBlake79, the normal front suspension travel is btwn 2 and 2.5 inches - yeah, not much.

Spring rate is where the suspension can be stiffened. Add some shock absorbers with slow compression (read 'stiffer') then all the better for the most part. A shock controls spring oscillation so it works in concert with the spring. Forget using shims or spacers.. they only compromise the suspension system.

Your best bet is to replace the coils with new ones or ones with a higher rate, say one intended for a 460.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:38 PM
77 2wd
Senior User
The clearance i'm talking about is between the tire and the wheel well, it rubs the wheel well when i hit a bump, and the coil springs can you order them or do you have to get them off a donor truck?

Old 08-06-2012, 08:53 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Ah.. I was unclear where you were measuring clearance.... that's not really suspension travel..That is suspension interference (yes, tires have springiness with high or low air pressure and in part, a component of the suspension.) Your problem is oversized tires and/or wrong offset. I believe it is the former.

To run 31s on a 2WD correctly, you'll need to clearance the sheetmetal or use taller springs and have the I-beams bent. Check this out: 65-79 econo lift

Parts sources? Sure.... bookmark these:

Jeff's Bronco Graveyard
National Parts Depot:Ford Truck Parts & Accessories | 1948-1979
LMC Truck - Ford Truck Parts and Truck Accessories
MAC's Antique Auto Parts
Blue Oval Truck Parts
Dennis Carpenter Ford Restoration Parts

RockAuto Auto & Truck Parts
Carolina Machine Engines-Rebuilt Long & Short Blocks
Summit Racing
Shock Warehouse
Inline tube The brake plumbing experts
Benchworks Steering
Red-Head Steering Gears, Seattle WA
Borgeson Universal Steering Components

Old 08-06-2012, 08:59 PM
77 2wd
Senior User
Yeah i am only looking to get an extra inch or so, what springs do you suggest i use?

Old 08-06-2012, 09:00 PM
77 2wd
Senior User
Oh wow i just checked out that link that's awesome! do you just bolt that on, what other mods would i have to make to put that on?

Old 08-06-2012, 09:07 PM
77 2wd
Senior User
And how do i order it? do i just call them and they ship it? because i don't see a online cart thingamajig

Old 08-06-2012, 09:10 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 77 2wd
Oh wow i just checked out that link that's awesome! do you just bolt that on, what other mods would i have to make to put that on?
Yeah, it is pretty cool. I'm holding on to my donor 78 I-beams cuz I might build a 2WD prerunner some day.... I have a junker that I need to get rid off then I can park one more rig in the side yard...it's boxed in by my 70 right now.

I'd prolly ask Autofab about shocks.. the kit doesn't include them. That page has an email link.

The i-beams are heated and bent near the kingpin so the wheel/tire has the correct camber.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:16 PM
77 2wd
Senior User
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Yeah, it is pretty cool. I'm holding on to my donor 78 I-beams cuz I might build a 2WD prerunner some day.... I have a junker that I need to get rid off then I can park one more rig in the side yard...it's boxed in by my 70 right now.

I'd prolly ask Autofab about shocks.. the kit doesn't include them. That page has an email link.

The i-beams are heated and bent near the kingpin so the wheel/tire has the correct camber.
Haha nice

thanks for the help! i'm deffinitely going to look into that!

Old 08-06-2012, 09:16 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 77 2wd
And how do i order it? do i just call them and they ship it? because i don't see a online cart thingamajig
I believe the price that is quoted assumes that you send them your I-beams. Call 'em or email 'em to get the ball rolling.

Btw, parts guys and machinists appreciate it if ya send 'em clean parts so they can get right to work with a minimum of fuss. A little effort on your end gives ya street cred.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:22 PM
79FordBlake
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its not as simple as switching out springs on a twin I beam setup...that will cause alignment issues and tire wear. Also in the Ford manual it tells exactly what to do to make the alignment correct. In stock configuration if you have alignment issues most people say have your beams bent to correct it. Well oddly enough I read in the actual Ford manual it says to never heat or bend the beams. It tells how to correct issues with shims and so forth.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:54 PM
76Hauler
Elder User
pow!

Old 08-06-2012, 10:04 PM
bamaf150
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 79FordBlake
Its not as simple as switching out springs on a twin I beam setup...that will cause alignment issues and tire wear. Also in the Ford manual it tells exactly what to do to make the alignment correct. In stock configuration if you have alignment issues most people say have your beams bent to correct it. Well oddly enough I read in the actual Ford manual it says to never heat or bend the beams. It tells how to correct issues with shims and so forth.
My local Ford dealer had special equipment to bend I-beams in their shop back in the day.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:04 PM
76Hauler
Elder User
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...-2wd-f250.html

here's my lifted 2wd, let me know if I can help ya out! -jason

Old 08-06-2012, 11:57 PM
gpence
Elder User
Originally Posted by 76Hauler
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...-2wd-f250.html

here's my lifted 2wd, let me know if I can help ya out! -jason

After checking out your truck I kinda have second thoughts about parting out the next 2wd I pick up! That truck looks pretty darn good!

Quick Reply: Coil shock front end