Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement Rear Bumper for 92 F150

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 02:40 PM
fightlivefree
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Replacement Rear Bumper for 92 F150

I want to replace my rear bumper with a aluminum diamond plate type bumper. Doesn anybody know where to get a used one for a good price or maybe a new one without spending over $700 ?

Regards,
Larry

Old 08-12-2012, 06:41 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Never even heard of aluminum diamond plate bumper, cant be too strong

Old 08-12-2012, 08:41 PM
fordka
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i know there are steal diamond plate bumpers and i want one. theres one for sale close to me but the seller wants $100 for it but not worth it too me ill stick to my reg bumber i got for $50

Old 08-12-2012, 09:47 PM
geoffunkel
Mountain Pass
Not sure why you'd want an aluminum bumper, seems like it wouldn't be very durable. I'm assuming your going for weight savings here? IMHO trying to shave weight from these trucks is a lost cause.

If you decide to go with steel, I saw some pretty sweet looking chrome diamond plate bumpers in the LMC truck catalog starting at $290. Some of them have auxiliary reverse lights built in as well for not that much extra. They also apparently have 8,000 Lb towing capacity if you put a ball on them, though I've never thought it was a good idea to tow anything with your bumper. You can find the bumpers at this link:

Truck Parts and Truck Accessories

Of course quality with LMC truck parts is hit or miss, but these do look nice and the price is right. I've had good luck with pretty much everything I've got from LMC.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:20 PM
burnout400m
Posting Guru
Search the junk yards and craigslist for one you like.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:23 AM
fightlivefree
Senior User
Originally Posted by geoffunkel
Not sure why you'd want an aluminum bumper, seems like it wouldn't be very durable. I'm assuming your going for weight savings here? IMHO trying to shave weight from these trucks is a lost cause.

If you decide to go with steel, I saw some pretty sweet looking chrome diamond plate bumpers in the LMC truck catalog starting at $290. Some of them have auxiliary reverse lights built in as well for not that much extra. They also apparently have 8,000 Lb towing capacity if you put a ball on them, though I've never thought it was a good idea to tow anything with your bumper. You can find the bumpers at this link:

Truck Parts and Truck Accessories

Of course quality with LMC truck parts is hit or miss, but these do look nice and the price is right. I've had good luck with pretty much everything I've got from LMC.
Thanks Geoffunkel. Sorry for the late reply, I have been working odd hours on my job. I didn't know they made steel diamond bumpers. All the diamond plate I have seen has been aluminum like my truck tool box.Steel would be a much better choice. I am going to check out your link.

Regards,
Larry

Old 08-13-2012, 11:24 AM
fightlivefree
Senior User
Diesel Brad, yeah I didn't know they were steel. I always associated the shinny diamond plate with aluminum.

Regards,
Larry

Old 08-13-2012, 11:32 AM
fightlivefree
Senior User
Originally Posted by burnout400m
Search the junk yards and craigslist for one you like.
Couldn't find anything on craiglist. Will call up a few junk yards to see what they have though.

Regards,
Larry

Old 08-13-2012, 02:18 PM
Intimnasc
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm with Brad I have never heard of an aluminum one but I bought the black Ranchhand version for about 550 with the 2" reciever bolt on bracket. I pull alot of trailers and needed the strength an aluminum bumper wouldn't be worth a crap pulling anything.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:48 PM
fightlivefree
Senior User
Intimnasc, yeah I already said steel is a better choice, but the bumper doesn't really take the load, the trailer hitch is tied into the frame with steel brackets, steel angles etc. Those componets take the real load not the bumper.

What company did you get the black Ranchhand version?

Regards,
Larry

Old 01-21-2013, 07:17 PM
deepseaqmc
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone know where the best place is to purchase used/new f150
rear bumper brackets? LMC only has LH ones no RH ones, dealers are my next try but $$$

Old 01-21-2013, 08:16 PM
Puddy
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Try BOTP or NPD

Old 01-21-2013, 08:50 PM
DPDISXR4Ti
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by fightlivefree
Couldn't find anything on craiglist.
You didn't look hard enough....

F-150/250/350 Hercules Step Bumper - $75 (Woodstock, GA)
That's what I have on my truck - it will outlive the truck.

For $75, that's a deal.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:29 PM
fordka
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DPDISXR4Ti
You didn't look hard enough....

F-150/250/350 Hercules Step Bumper - $75 (Woodstock, GA)
That's what I have on my truck - it will outlive the truck.

For $75, that's a deal.

i want one of them bumpers really bad. wish i could find one around here. what is the towing capacity for a regular stock steel bumper. since neither of my trucks have got a hitch and i cant find any of them either.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:47 AM
DPDISXR4Ti
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by fordka
i want one of them bumpers really bad. wish i could find one around here. what is the towing capacity for a regular stock steel bumper. since neither of my trucks have got a hitch and i cant find any of them either.
I wouldn't trust a stock bumper for much at all, especially if it's got some corrosion (as I assume it would, if original). The Hercules is rated at 2000 lbs tongue weight and towing capacity of 12,000 lbs - way more than the truck is rated at.

That said, if you're planning on renting a trailer, you may have trouble, as some places will disallow the use of a bumper-hitch regardless of what it's rated at. Furthermore, a real hitch makes towing easier and obviously provides some height flexibility.

You should have ZERO problems finding a hitch for our trucks - the mounting is the same for full size Ford trucks 1980 - 1996. The width measurement is also shared with Dodge trucks. I was patient and found a new (never installed) Putnam hitch for sale from a private individual - gotta love Craigslist!

Quick Reply: Replacement Rear Bumper for 92 F150