6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Getting HGs done. EGR delete? Benefits?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 09:24 AM
egregg57
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting HGs done. EGR delete? Benefits?

2005 F-350 CC 101,000 miles. EGR/Oil Cooler replaced 2010, HPOP/STC AUG 2011, Fuel Pressure Spring installed. New T-Stat.

Getting my gaskets done. Doing OEM with ARP studs. I am not getting them done at a dealer, but had the condition of the truck verified by the Dealer. Senior Master Mech highly recommended replacing Oil/EGR cooler at the same time. Prudence...

Shop I am considering is offering several options.

I supply parts for each option unless they can get a better price.

1. HGs, ARP studs, EGR/Oil Cooler
2. HGs, ARP studs
3. HGs, ARP studs, EGR delete with software to handle codes for delete.

There is several schools of thought on this. I am hoping to make the right decision for my circumstances.

I tow a 12k fifth wheel between April and November. The truck is a daily driver for now. I am getting a clown car to cut back on use and preserve the truck.

I intend on keeping the truck for the long haul. Thank you for your input.

Eric

Old 08-12-2012, 10:01 AM
Roasted7
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is illegal, but deleting the EGR cooler will eliminate a potential fail point. Should reduce EGT's too.

Do you know your ect-eot delta? If it's good then I'd not bother with the oil cooler. If it's marginal then change it. And install a coolant filter.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:03 AM
_Me2_
Elder User
You could also go with a bulletproof EGR cooler.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:05 AM
metmop
Senior User
Things to consider....

How many miles did it have in 2010 when coolers were last done...

Even though commonly done EGR DELETE is illegal in the U.S. since it violates Federal Emissions standards. Therefore consider what state you live in... and how serious they are about it . Do they have emissions testing or vehicle inspection (from what I understand CA is real bad about it). Do you tow commercially. If so you are subject to more frequent inspections and higher standards (and higher fines) than us private owners. You may also want to consider what states you drive through.... from what I understand CA (I can't verify this because I have never been to CA) can even go so far as impound a vehicle that fails emissions and tow at owners expense to either the state border or a Certified mechanic to fix the vehicle to meet standards....

As far as option 1 verse 2. I would consider several things.... mostly what you have done since the last time egr/oil cooler replaced.... has it had a coolant filtration system.... have you done a flush or 3..... a bunch of guys here flush the system every 25 or 50k miles wether it needs it or not If no filtration system and no flush since then I would do option 2..... IF you run/do all that stuff you are probably good to go and should go with option 1.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:09 AM
Roasted7
Elder User
It's not uncommon for a flush job to clog the cooler. It's no guarantee.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:12 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Roasted7
It is illegal, but deleting the EGR cooler will eliminate a potential fail point.
yep illegal

no point in deleting it IMO. The EGR cooler only fails when you have a failed oil cooler. so why delete the symptom? fix the problem and the symptom won't show it's ugly head

another thing to consider is check engine lights. 06+ trucks have programming to monitor EGR position and they'll throw a CEL when it's not detected

and...even better...the 06+ trucks and older trucks with latest PCM flashes won't operate properly with the EGR deleted. Somehow they EGR and Fan are related. People have found out that with the EGR deleted that they're fan won't operate. That'd be a crappy thing to find out when towing

what PCM flash does your truck have?

Old 08-12-2012, 10:18 AM
Roasted7
Elder User
Originally Posted by Tylus
Somehow they EGR and Fan are related. People have found out that with the EGR deleted that they're fan won't operate. That'd be a crappy thing to find out when towing

I kept my egr valve in place and plugged in. It just doesn't do anything except keep the fan working proper.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:24 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

I kept my egr valve in place and plugged in. It just doesn't do anything except keep the fan working proper.
that does work...it also looks like crap IMO and is blatantly obvious for people looking for something.

if you are going to do a EGR delete, the "best" method IMO is the Sneaky delete. You weld the up-pipe and weld the ports on the EGR cooler. It looks stock...but no flow

Old 08-12-2012, 10:29 AM
metmop
Senior User
It's not uncommon for a flush job to clog the cooler. It's no guarantee.
Yes but the idea is to do it often enough that the coolant never really starts to degrade... If it is done every 25k instead of at 100K and every 50k after that (like Ford says) and you use distilled verse tap water..... you should not clog the filter when flushing.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:46 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 135 Likes on 79 Posts
I put a lot of thought into this myself. I don't have to worry about emission inspections or testing right now but who knows what's in the future? I went with the Bullet Proof EGR cooler ( BulletProof EGR Coolers ). It has a lifetime guarantee against leaking and EGR can be turned off with a tuner.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:46 AM
_Me2_
Elder User
Originally Posted by metmop
Do they have emissions testing or vehicle inspection (from what I understand CA is real bad about it)... You may also want to consider what states you drive through.... from what I understand CA (I can't verify this because I have never been to CA) can even go so far as impound a vehicle that fails emissions and tow at owners expense to either the state border or a Certified mechanic to fix the vehicle to meet standards....
Sounds like a blowhard is giving you the info on CA. The emissions testing for diesels is actually very tame. There is just a visual inspection and a smoke test. Also, vehicles from out of state are not subject to emissions testing. If they are suspected to be owned by CA residents or otherwise trying to skirt registration/emissions, then that is a different story, but emissions testing is not the first step taken in that situation.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:12 PM
metmop
Senior User
I just relayed info.... as I said I have never been there..... that info was actually posted by residents of CA in a thread about blowing black smoke.... and failing emissions that way.... wether or not they would do any of those things is besides the point.... the fact remains they can... and if you choice to delete EGR it is one possible consequences of your actions...

Where I live.... I don't really have to worry about it.... I am more likely to get pulled over for window tint or loud pipes/music than pulled over for emissions so long as it isn't a commercial vehicle. There is no state inspection and there is no emissions testing. On the other hand I still chose to keep my EGR cooler and Oil Cooler and I don't even have to worry about the CEL or fan controls like some of the other model years.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:51 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
My Vote is Deleate it

there is no benefit to recycling spent exhaust Gas

Old 08-12-2012, 04:38 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Or just tune it to off. Much cheaper and easier than deleting. And tuning is fun

Old 08-12-2012, 07:48 PM
egregg57
Elder User
Thanks for the input so far. I am in NH. No emissions testing here.

So if regular maintenance is performed (as I have and will continue to do) etc. I don't see a real benefit to it. Or am I missing something.

Not interested in tunes... modifying the truck for speed etc. I am after a reliable platform.

Quick Reply: Getting HGs done. EGR delete? Benefits?