1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

'86 F150 Resto-Mod or The (mis)Adventures of El Guapo

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 10:23 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
As long as you don't warp the panels a little slag helps a lot.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:59 PM
Country705
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice keep us informed on the progress. I can't wait to see the finished product!

Old 03-30-2013, 05:00 PM
86fordtruck
Elder User
Progress report.
Well, the exhaust brackets returned from powder coating and are installed. The tailpipes now hang on their own and the jackstands that were holding them up are back under the press where they stay when not in use.

With the cab cleaned out, I was able to use my engine hoist and lift it and get it back on the chassis. WooHoo!

The wife was even willing to help. He she is lowering the cab while I made sure the mounts lined up. Yup, she's a keeper.

Everything fits and everything clears. I have a bunch of room around the trans so the new trans will have no clearance issues when it is installed. Although they seemed to be tucked up tight, there is a bunch of room between the floor and the cats, so I don't expect to be getting a lot of heat from them transferred to the cab. I am making some heat shields for the cats though (more on those later).

The relief I cut out of the firewall to clear the drivers side header appears to be adequate, so all I need to do is weld in my patch to finish that up. I'll do that at the same time I repair the firewall crack at the clutch master cylinder. I'll need some more to patch the firewall where the heater ducts went through, so I might as well order a big piece (also need some for the Mustang).

I also want to eliminate that seam at each upper corner of the cab. I started by cleaning the paint, and all of the seam sealer that they stuffed into the rear window corner.

Then I stitched welded over the seam and cleaned it up.

I did the same to front corners. Cleaned it up and stitch welded over it to eliminate it.

Then I ground down the weld and cleaned it up with the flap disc.

A little sealer, a touch of body filler, and some primer and paint and you'll never know that there was a seam there.

Well, that's it for now. More to follow.
Slowly, but surely.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:15 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Ron - It all looks good, including your wife.

I've been debating on having the seams filled. My paint/body man asked me and at first I said no. But, what are the advantages?

Old 03-30-2013, 06:22 PM
86fordtruck
Elder User
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Ron - It all looks good, including your wife.

I've been debating on having the seams filled. My paint/body man asked me and at first I said no. But, what are the advantages?
None that I know of, except that it looks cool.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:42 PM
'86 F150
Senior User
Looks great. Looking forward to the next update.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:16 PM
nikmish
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
subscribed, want to see the progress

Old 05-05-2013, 05:44 PM
86fordtruck
Elder User
Well, I finally found someone to paint El Guapo. It was so frustrating, as there really are no custom paint shops in this area. All they have around here are shops that do collision work, and in Memphis, there is plenty of that. I kept looking and decided I would truck it a few hundred miles, if needed, to find a good paint shop. I found Rick Bacon in Nashville, and he agreed to do the bodywork and paint for me. WooHoo!!

Rick wants the truck to be a rolling chassis without the drivetrain, so I've pulled the engine, trans, and driveshaft, as well as the radiator and radiator core support. So here it sits today, just about ready for its trip to Nashville.

After pulling the trans out, I discovered on the transmission crossmember there is some printing on it.

So if you aren't sure of the orientation of the crossmember, check out the writing on edges. If you can't read yours, you can see it in these pictures and match it with yours.

I've got a few more things to punch out before it goes to paint, but we are making progress. Slowly, but surely.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:59 PM
Chris Guthro
Senior User
Love the truck!! It keeps getting better ad better! An outdoor picture of the Rollin frame would be nice lol, give me some more motivation lol

Old 05-05-2013, 09:20 PM
86fordtruck
Elder User
Hey Chris,
I will definitely will take some more pictures when its out rolling. Hopefully, Rick will be sending me pictures of his progress as the bodywork and paint progresses, and I will plan to post those for you, too.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:27 PM
Killgore
Posting Guru
good job man. I wish I had that much time and money to go through my truck like that! keep up the good work.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:52 PM
Chris Guthro
Senior User
The frame of the truck adds up quick when redoing everything

Old 05-06-2013, 04:03 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Ron - Isn't it hard to believe how many things come up when you are getting g it ready for the paint shop?! I didn't expect the problems with the core support brackets being rusted out, nor the length of time it took too just get the cab mounts off. Little things that are show-stoppers until they are done.

Anyway, glad you found someone. Sounds like I'm just slightly ahead of you, but I'm sure you'll catch up quickly. Good job!

Old 05-06-2013, 05:52 PM
86fordtruck
Elder User
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Ron - Isn't it hard to believe how many things come up when you are getting g it ready for the paint shop?! I didn't expect the problems with the core support brackets being rusted out, nor the length of time it took too just get the cab mounts off. Little things that are show-stoppers until they are done.

Anyway, glad you found someone. Sounds like I'm just slightly ahead of you, but I'm sure you'll catch up quickly. Good job!
My core support brackets were rusted out, too. I repaired them some time back when I was messing with boxing the frame and stuff. When I get it back from paint, I have to reinstall the drivetrain, finish the plumbing, and install the new wiring. Then it will be ready for a new interior and glass. With that, it should be complete. I hope to have it done by the end of the year, but we shall see. You know what they say about the best laid plans.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:16 PM
Chris Guthro
Senior User
Te core support brackets are dirt cheap from ford!

Quick Reply: '86 F150 Resto-Mod or The (mis)Adventures of El Guapo