2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new to me 05 4x4 lariat, few quirks.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 07:46 PM
psycopanther
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new to me 05 4x4 lariat, few quirks.

just bought this beauty. I love it compared to my dodge mega cab. however, it does have a few quirks.

1) 4x4 does not work. i been reading and think it is the hubs since it still will not work with the vacuum lines off of the front axle and switch in 4x4. going to replace both hubs at same time and go ahead and replace the solenoid as i only felt a vacuum on one side where lines hook to the hubs.

2) FIXED :when bought truck, the drivers window switch does not work either windows on the passenger side (front or rear). however, the switches on the actual passenger sides(front and rear) work when using their switches. the drivers window switch does however work the driver front and rear sides just fine. is there a spot somewhere where the wires can be pinched or unplugged from driver to passenger? Also, today the front passenger side window rolled down by the passenger's actual switch, but would not roll up. since rain was coming, i put voltage to the actual motor in the door and rolled it up just fine. Any thoughts? This is the main issue at the moment.

3) the power mirrors do not work at all. possibly tied to issue number 2?

ordered new switch. hopefully it fixes issue. went by this info in decision:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ml#post7318739

4) does the trans shifter (its in the floor console) position gauge light up? i mean where it says P,R,D,2,1? if it does, it is not when i turn on lights. just noticed this today. pretty sure it did when i drove it home the other night after purchasing. possibly also tied with number 2 since i noticed all this today when window wouldnt go back up?

5) 6 cd changer = cheap. works but not on disk part. wont load or unload. like to get a navigation unit so whatever.. :P but should i do oem nav, or aftermarket? if aftermarket, will steering buttons for controls still work on it.

6) is there a good easy way to test the LSD on rear axle?

7) cold start, the engine is quiet, warm up the engine sounds like diesel. from what i have read it can be the cam phasers. also from what i have read the engine is just noisy, but not sure what is considered noisy....

looking into replacing these at later day. no big deal today.

other than these, i love the truck and dont know what else is wrong (yet).

oh yea, the cd player has a AUX button. but I am blind i guess because i do not see where the AUX input is located? help on this would delay the nav unit to focus on other issues

Last edited by psycopanther; 01-24-2012 at 07:05 PM. Reason: updated
Old 01-22-2012, 08:07 PM
cb_13
Fleet Mechanic
Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts
For your wiring issues I would pull back the rubber enclosure on the drivers door and check for broken wires. It is a common spot for wiring issues on many vehicles since they have to flex with the opening and closing of the door. You might just find something. If not I believe the power mirrors are fused and the window switches on these trucks are notorious for going out.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:16 PM
psycopanther
New User
i will try this tommorrow. hopefully the problem is that simple.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:29 PM
sniswend
Junior User
The AUX input should be in the front left corner of the tray in the middle of your dash.

As for the 4 wheel drive problem I would replace the solenoid first before forking the money out for the hub/wheel bearing assembly. You can check this assembly for excessive play by lifting up the front end and grabbing your tire by the top and bottom. If the tire moves back and forth as you pull on it then this assembly needs replaced, if it doesn't it should be fine.

I won't go into the cam phasers as there is tons of info on them here, just search it and you will find ways to problem solve it. Good luck with your new truck!

Old 01-23-2012, 08:52 PM
psycopanther
New User
got all the windows working. needed some serious cleaning on the driver side main switch control. took 30 minutes and bam. all working again! awesome.

have yet to find the AUX button. did not see it on the top of the dash in the middle. guess i didnt get it?

also, is there a sure way to test if the power mirror switch is bad? neither mirror will move, and it also will not fold in. kinda feels like it is too easy to rotate that **** around, but unsure how easy it is suppose to be

Old 01-23-2012, 09:02 PM
Gundown64
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by psycopanther
have yet to find the AUX button. did not see it on the top of the dash in the middle. guess i didnt get it?
The AUX jack was not available until 07+ models even though there is a button for it on the radio.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:08 PM
CelticDevilDog
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by psycopanther
1) 4x4 does not work. i been reading and think it is the hubs since it still will not work with the vacuum lines off of the front axle and switch in 4x4. going to replace both hubs at same time and go ahead and replace the solenoid as i only felt a vacuum on one side where lines hook to the hubs.
If you haven't yet check out this thread. It will help with the 4x4 issue. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...then-some.html

Also, depending on what your issue is it could be the transfer case motor. Very easy to fix if you follow what this guy does 4X4 Shift Motor Rebuild - Ford Explorer Ranger Enthusiasts "Serious Explorations"®

Old 01-24-2012, 07:25 AM
Sequel
New User
Regarding the 4x4, when you turn on 4wd, does the 4wd indicator come on the dash? If it does not it usually means the shift motor. Which many times can be cured by switching to 4wd and tapping the shift motor (on the back of the transfercase) with a hammer.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:28 AM
1joeking
New User
The shifter light can be removed by prying off the cover by the shifter...it lifts up and out of the way. I cannot remember exactly how it is removed but there are no screws or anything. On the left side of the shifter towards the back there is a plug in socket that holds the bulb. Turn it counter-clockwise and replace the bulb. As far as the engine noise is concerned I wouldnt do anything. It seems to me all engines make strange noises and it's probably the nature of the beast so to speak. My CD player still works but the one in my old 99 Expedition jammed up and I didnt fix it since it was hidden in the glovebox. The factory units are not that good however mine is still working in my 05 f-150 Lariat. I would replace it with an aftermarket unit. Good luck with your new purchase.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:00 PM
psycopanther
New User
Originally Posted by Sequel
Regarding the 4x4, when you turn on 4wd, does the 4wd indicator come on the dash? If it does not it usually means the shift motor. Which many times can be cured by switching to 4wd and tapping the shift motor (on the back of the transfercase) with a hammer.
the indicator does come on. and i here a clunk noise like the transfer case is engaging. I am pretty sure that the problem is in the front hubs as i can remove the vacuum lines and the hubs still are not locked when i have it in 4H/4L on the switch. also, i can feel a suction from the vacuum lines on the passenger side but nothing on the drivers side at the hubs i have them pulled off and truck in 2H

Old 01-24-2012, 07:07 PM
psycopanther
New User
Originally Posted by 1joeking
The shifter light can be removed by prying off the cover by the shifter...it lifts up and out of the way. I cannot remember exactly how it is removed but there are no screws or anything. On the left side of the shifter towards the back there is a plug in socket that holds the bulb. Turn it counter-clockwise and replace the bulb. As far as the engine noise is concerned I wouldnt do anything. It seems to me all engines make strange noises and it's probably the nature of the beast so to speak. My CD player still works but the one in my old 99 Expedition jammed up and I didnt fix it since it was hidden in the glovebox. The factory units are not that good however mine is still working in my 05 f-150 Lariat. I would replace it with an aftermarket unit. Good luck with your new purchase.
Awesome, thanks! I will check on this bulb tomorrow if i get home before dark.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:27 PM
saberworks
Junior User
Originally Posted by 1joeking
I don't agree about the noise. I bought a truck exactly like you, no noise when cold, loud when warmed up. I paid $1300 for new cam phasers and it's much quieter with no weird noises now. I can't say that it had any effect other than noise, but I've seen threads where people let them go and had problems later. To me, if it's broken, it should be fixed, especially if you want to save yourself trouble in the future.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:20 PM
psycopanther
New User
Originally Posted by saberworks
I don't agree about the noise. I bought a truck exactly like you, no noise when cold, loud when warmed up. I paid $1300 for new cam phasers and it's much quieter with no weird noises now. I can't say that it had any effect other than noise, but I've seen threads where people let them go and had problems later. To me, if it's broken, it should be fixed, especially if you want to save yourself trouble in the future.
holy smokies! 1300 buckaroos? that sucks like a ten pound tick! must be some tough labor involved in that. it is on the list of my to dos. going to fix four wheel drive, then work on them cam phasers. seems to be a common problem, anything that can be done to prevent them messing up or should i be good after replacement for quite a while?

Old 01-27-2012, 03:20 AM
DieselBeast01
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have heard that the cam phasers are pretty easy to replace yourself...

Old 01-27-2012, 09:26 PM
sniswend
Junior User
The cam phasers are simple enough to do in a garage but you will need the correct tools. It is worth the extra money though to take the truck to the dealer and have them check to make sure you have to proper oil pressure. The tapping/knocking sound can be a number of things including bad rockers, lash adjusters, etc, and these are difficult to fix in a personal garage.

Quick Reply: new to me 05 4x4 lariat, few quirks.