Sponsored by:

My new college rig.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 04:30 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bubba Jones
Yeah that lug nut thing is awful. I take really good care of my truck and put tons of work into it so when anyone messes with it, it really aggravates me. However, doing something like that and actually damaging the truck... I would try to find out who they are and call the police. That could have been super dangerous.
I know the feeling unfortunately i don't think i would have the capacity to call the police. I would end up doing something to them or their vehicle in retaliation. Thats kind of how me and my brother grew up, i do something to him and he retaliates till we get busted by our parents.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:51 PM
justforkicks
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, we had found out a few suspects but no real proof. We had just overheard a conversation about it. I'll find out who it was eventually.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:16 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GruesomeJeans
I know the feeling unfortunately i don't think i would have the capacity to call the police. I would end up doing something to them or their vehicle in retaliation. Thats kind of how me and my brother grew up, i do something to him and he retaliates till we get busted by our parents.
Yeah, I mean with my friends, I used to do some things to their cars, but it never involved damaging anything. I once smeared a custard doughnut on my friends Dodge ram in front of him after he threw a sandwich or something at my truck. Then my other friend and I managed to get away from their pies they had stashed. It was kinda fun, but I made sure to never do anything that would cause damage, usually it just involved messy/gross foods.

When it comes to doing something harmful or damaging, well I would try and find out and get them to pay for the damage they've done.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:54 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
yeah we have done similar but it involves things like closing side mirrors or opening a gas tanks door, little things like that. I just don't think that I would get anything from telling the police that someone messed up my truck. even if I knew for sure, without solid evidence there isn't really a way to get them.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:56 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Yeah you're right too. I'm not someone who would go call the police over much at all (I've never done it or had to thankfully), but if they damaged my truck and potentially put me in a dangerous situation, just informing the police would help I think because it would let them know to stop doing stupid things to my truck because there could be serious repercussions if they don't stop. They may not be able to do anything, but I don't think they would continue to if the police were looking/questions people.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:18 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
The issue is if they loosen my lug nuts and my tire falls off and say, takes out my brakes system on that side and damages some of the body and i notify police, they will most likely say "sorry for your loss but we will keep an eye out" Then it gets buried under a mass pile of small claims and forgotten. That is, unless it happens a lot to multiple people and becomes a serious issue. Now if you "know" who it is for sure and the police don't do anything then what do you do? I retaliate. That doesn't mean i physically harm the person or key their paint or take their doors off or something. Maybe it's a little more subtle like flattening their tires on a nightly basis. Sometimes the police is more of a backup resort.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:33 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Haha yeah I see where you are coming from for sure. I never have had to be in that situation thankfully though and hopefully I never will. If I ever am, I may just turn super saiyan like this kid
and then yeah...

Old 11-01-2012, 09:33 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Haha i have seen that video, thats funny cause i am right near the end of the DragonBall series... Anyways, i have yet to be in that situation with my vehicles but it has happened with my bicycle once or twice and when i was with my friends they would mess with me and i do it back.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:45 AM
justforkicks
Posting Guru
Haha thanks for the advice, but I went with a more gentle approach. I just told a few people at the dorms and they spread it around. I had also mentioned that "Anyone who messes with a mechanic's vehicle is either a very brave or very stupid soul." Of course I used much more colorful language. I'm still upset by it, but now some people seem a little more paranoid so I think I've made my message clear.

I know how to mess with a person's vehicle to make it do whacky things. Not dangerous, just strange.

Also, has anyone tried to run true duals on one of these 96's? I know there's the post cat sensor, but if I run the sensor in one bank with a high flow cat on each pipe, will it work okay?

Old 11-02-2012, 02:19 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
I think the 96 has 2 sensors. I don't know the specifics on those models since mine is a 78 and i have been busy learning that BUT the universal rule of broncos is that true duals is a costly and difficult thing to do. The way the transfer case is and the front drive shaft makes things more complicated. It's possible but it would be easier running a single to dual or an X pipe. The only other way i know of is the same way i have mine and that is side exit, but it is noisy and probably not something you can do with a vehicle that needs emissions testing.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:52 AM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
I personally wouldn't recommend running true duals on a Bronco, especially a 96. My Bronco is a 96, and I have Bassani Headers/y-pipe/cat but it's all 3" single piping exiting in the stock location.

The problem with duals is 1. Like Dylan said, the transfer case is in the way, so it takes a lot of bending of the pipes on the drivers side to get around the transfer case OR the pipes have to go under it (which isn't a good idea) and 2, with a 96, there are 3 o2 sensors, one in each manifold (or on each bank of the y-pipe if you get aftermarket headers/y-pipe) and then one after the catalytic converter (assuming you get rid of the pre cat and have only one cat after the new exhaust.)

I think that even if you had one cat in each pipe, if you ran the post cat sensor only in one pipe after a catalytic converter, the readings would be thrown off because half of the exhaust would be going through a different pipe, but the sensor is expecting all the exhaust to go through that one. I'm not too sure how the computer reacts to the third o2 sensor readings and what it does specifically, but I think you would be throwing some engine code. Maybe you wouldn't but it would be upsetting to get the exhaust then realize it has to be changed. I think you would either have to get a trick sensor for the 3rd o2 sensor, or have both pipes converge into one where the cat is and run the sensor after that, then go back to two pipes (which seems to be very unproductive of having duals in the first place.)

It may be possible to do it correctly for a 96, but I honestly think it's too much work/money for the effort and running a single 3" would provide a greater benefit due to having a more efficient path to flow compared to the pipes having to bend around the t-case, and its going to be a lot less money!

Old 11-02-2012, 03:34 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
You guys are missing the obvious solution. Take the transfer case and front driveshaft out! Then you can run true duals. And with no 4x4 stuff, you get better mpg!

Jim

Old 11-03-2012, 06:50 PM
justforkicks
Posting Guru
Theres easily enough space to run dual pipes down the pass. Side. I'm going to look around for fenderwell heaaders. If i can find some, i'll run lag pipes.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:00 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
You can look around on Ebay for fender headers. They are usually an ok price. I eventually will look into them along with a full exhaust system. Not sure if i want to try for true duals or what the plan it

Old 11-04-2012, 10:28 AM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Nighteyez
You guys are missing the obvious solution. Take the transfer case and front driveshaft out! Then you can run true duals. And with no 4x4 stuff, you get better mpg!
Haha yeah that's right!

Whatever exhaust you do, I'm sure you'll like it a lot better than stock. Dual exhaust would be cool, but the bending of the pipes seemed like too much work/money for me. I know someone who did have a 96 with dual exhaust and they liked it though.

I love the exhaust I have now, I kinda wish it was a little louder though, but besides that it sounds perfect.

Quick Reply: My new college rig.