Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new college rig.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 04:30 PM
justforkicks
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alright i'll scan it and see whatsap. Gotta scan anyways. Was floggin' it (testing the acceleration) and the CEL came on. Probably just egr.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:36 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Since you have a 96, you should probably buy yourself a scanner. I have been really close to getting one but never have, however I just researched one called the ScangaugeII. It looks pretty nice. It can scan/read codes, and delete them to turn off the engine light. I kinda want it to track my fuel consumption too so I can get the best mileage I can! This gauge does a whole bunch of stuff like read water temperature/rpms/mph/transmission temp/tps etc. It seems really useful. It's 160 though, but I'm probably going to break down and get it. They have a "lite" version that is almost the same minus a few options for $99. I may get that one instead.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:48 PM
justforkicks
Posting Guru
Yeah i planned on getting a scanner because i'm goin to school to turn a wrench. My old roommate had a $300 one that had live data and all that fancy stuff. Handy piece of equipment!

Old 08-20-2012, 06:52 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Dang, that sounds pretty nice. Yeah was looking at the pricy ones, but this scangaugeII or scangauge e (the lite version) looks pretty cool. A big reason why I want that one is because they will fit for me to mount on the empty spot on the bezel where normally the 4x4 buttons are. Sicne I have a manual transfer case and hubs, I don't have those buttons so it is kinda empty there, I only have one switch which powers my electric fan there, but the scan-gauge will fit nicely. I want to actually drill out a spot and mount it like it was a factory option there. I'm always looking for how to add stuff but make it look factory and this seemed like a good choice for that. Plus I can sift through a whole bunch of other things with this gauge. Who knows, maybe I'll find another one that I like better, all I know it is about time for me to get a code reader.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:51 PM
justforkicks
Posting Guru
Well, here's a pic of the truck with the 33's on it. It needs a little lift. Tires are temporary (mainly because I ran over a chunk of metal and slashed the sidewall of one open already).

And now you can really see the spring sag issue.

Next: Springs... definitely springs...

Also, looking to name the rig. Every rig I get needs a name. It sorta becomes its personality. Any suggestions?

Old 08-29-2012, 07:09 PM
justforkicks
Posting Guru

Just ordered a 2" skyjacker suspension lift. Here's one corner done. Tackling the other front tomorrow. Still debating on lifting the rear or not.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:39 PM
justforkicks
Posting Guru
Finished up the front lift. Don't know if I'm gonna do the rear or not, it sits just about where I want it to all around.

And did a little bodywork.

Got it welded about 3/4 of the way around before I ran outta daylight. More tomorrow after work.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:13 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The bronco looks good so far, your pretty handy with your tools. And the lift looks good. Got any plans for a custom bumper up front?

Old 10-09-2012, 04:28 PM
justforkicks
Posting Guru
Well, it's been a while since I've updated this. I'm currently at school, and last night I lost 3rd gear for a couple minutes. Now, when I say "lost," I mean when it went to make the 2-3 shift, it went to neutral. Selector was in drive the entire time, 1-2 went fine, then when it was supposed to go to 3, it just went to neutral. Like the band immediately evaporated. So I put it in 2 and drove it back to the dorms. When I was in the parking lot tooling around, it went back into 3 and drove just fine. I scanned it and it said P0500 "Vehicle speed sensor A," but I'm not convinced it the VSS because every once in a while, the speedo or odo won't work, and I have to push "Select" and bang, it works. This issue is driving me insane right now and I'm scared to drive it anywhere. Anyone know if it's the PSOM or the VSS for sure?

Old 10-09-2012, 10:17 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
I bet greystreak would know haha, he is the computer master for these rigs... I don't have any clue on the newer vehicles.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:48 PM
smokenchoken
Posting Guru
i love seeing other people still using thrush exhaust you are doing an amazing job on the body work keep it up ...... possible name "Black jack" it was the only name i could think of that just popped to me looking at your rig...... i had a 92 with the e4od and where it plugs in to the rear end (idk why ford did this) was able to move and disconnect til you hit just the right bump and it wouldn't shift right and all sorts of bad things happened until i fixed it might check that out if a bronco even has that IDK good luck and happy driving

Old 10-10-2012, 04:43 PM
justforkicks
Posting Guru
Update!

Replaced the speed sensor today, but now I blew the input steering seal... so I wasn't able to safely drive it enough to get the trans to act up. <Insert various inappropriate words>

Seal will be here tomorrow. Not too happy about it.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:35 PM
justforkicks
Posting Guru
UPDATE!

Well, narrowed my search down to a "floating short." I have a wire rubbed through somewhere between the speed sensor and the PSOM. Took a scanner to it and it said "ABS Module not found" under saved codes. The late shifts have become more predictable as when you hit a bump, the speedo sticks to the needle and the odo goes blank. Hit select, everything works as it should. Other than that, I've made a few enemies who took all the lugnuts off my front left tire and the tire came off and went under the vehicle, wiping out the front fender and part of the rear quarter which I had repaired and painted. So, I went and bought a set of 16" wheels and 33x10.50 tires for it for $60. The truck is still pretty ugly, but it's an awesome ugly.

If you're wondering what the glare is all about, my camera lense on my phone is cracked.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:46 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
That sucks about the lug nut thing... I would be seriously pissed. I get pissed when people egg our vehicles. I got to the point where i started looking into security cameras for the house. Unfortunately they were super expensive.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:20 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Yeah that lug nut thing is awful. I take really good care of my truck and put tons of work into it so when anyone messes with it, it really aggravates me. However, doing something like that and actually damaging the truck... I would try to find out who they are and call the police. That could have been super dangerous.

Quick Reply: My new college rig.