Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Betty turns oil burner

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 08:57 PM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Your truck is a masterpiece! Truly excellent work.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:05 PM
Jchet729
Laughing Gas
Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Congrats on getting her going.!

Old 09-03-2014, 11:36 PM
co425
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks for all the kind words gentlemen. Best day I've had all year for sure. It was killing me not being able to driver her, now its ten times worse. Nothing like being at work dreaming about what I need to do next.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:41 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,282 Likes on 2,439 Posts
Being "at work" lets you afford to make those dreams a reality.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:09 AM
Jughead1984
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am so damn Jealous lol. I love it. makes me want to get rid of my 390 but for now im just proud I was able to put her back on the road after a 12 year stretch of being parked. I drove it into work tonight and ended up blowing a fuel line so im glad to have carried my tool set and just happened to have enuf 3/8 hose to get her home without turning her into a torch. Congrats man it must feel good to know yours will be going soon.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:45 AM
co425
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by 77&79F250
Being "at work" lets you afford to make those dreams a reality.
True.

Originally Posted by Jughead1984
I am so damn Jealous lol. I love it. makes me want to get rid of my 390 but for now im just proud I was able to put her back on the road after a 12 year stretch of being parked. I drove it into work tonight and ended up blowing a fuel line so im glad to have carried my tool set and just happened to have enuf 3/8 hose to get her home without turning her into a torch. Congrats man it must feel good to know yours will be going soon.

Gotta love stuff like that. It's always one little thing. Glad you got her home.

Yep feels damn good. That's one big relief for me.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:15 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Congrats!

Man, that thing took a long time to start.......

I had missed this till just now. Been away for a couple weeks dealing with the passing of my father.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:35 AM
co425
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by co425
True.

Gotta love stuff like that. It's always one little thing. Glad you got her home.

Yep feels damn good. That's one big relief for me.
Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff
Congrats!

Man, that thing took a long time to start.......

I had missed this till just now. Been away for a couple weeks dealing with the passing of my father.

Sorry to hear about your father. My condolences.

No kidding can't believe she fired on the second turn of the key. I've always had to fight gas engines. The chopper I built years ago took me days to fire. Kick start, with a magneto, and no battery. Figured out I had resistor spark plugs in my bike. Duh!!!

Old 09-04-2014, 10:09 AM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats Brandon.
Beautiful.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:26 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Sorry to hear about your father. My condolences.

No kidding can't believe she fired on the second turn of the key.
Thanks.

I hope my Cummins is just as hard when I am ready for it to fire up.....

My dad was a heavy truck mechanic, so I learned a lot about diesel engines at an early age. I guess my swap is way to honor what he taught me. I know he was looking forward to the day I could take him for a ride in it.
He would have been 76 in a couple weeks. I had planned to clean up and polish his truck, and take him for a long drive in it. He always said he loved that "old piece of crap"........ (clean version)

Old 09-04-2014, 08:15 PM
Robertcoupe
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No kidding can't believe she fired on the second turn of the key.
I'm not real surprised with how much care you put in the building of that engine, and with how through you were being before ever turning the key.

I'm a little surprised it didn't start on the first try actually.

Congrats on this mile stone, you have earned every bit of this glory.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:07 AM
co425
Cargo Master
Thanks again. Next stop is moving under her own power!!!

Old 09-07-2014, 08:45 PM
co425
Cargo Master
Well there are always teething problems right? So the good news. I have the intermediate shaft in and she moves under her own power.

New seal.

And shaft in place. For anyone wondering it is 12-3/4" from the tip of the output shaft to the centerline of the yoke. It is a 1410 series U joints on both ends.

Now for the not so great news. I have driven her for a very short distance. I seem to be having a fuel pressure issue. I can idle all day and rev her up no problem, but once I get about a block away my fuel pressure light comes on. It seems to come on after I accelerate then slow back down. The pump sound good with the truck off and I can hear and feel the fuel going through the injection pump as well as hear it dumping out of the returns into the tank.

At first I thought the issue may be my 40hp overflow valve. So I switched that with a new stock one I have. No dice same issue. Next I thought it may be a grounding issue with the pump and sending unit. I did find the grounding bolt I have on the frame was not tight. Got her all tightened up with a nice bare surface and some dielectric grease. Nope, same issue. Then I thought well maybe I'm sucking air since there is only 15 gallons of fuel in it. Filled her up to 30 gallons. Nope same issue. So after more thought, I figured maybe I have a cavitation issue with the pre filter so I took that out and put in a half inch push lock splice. Nope same issue.

I have tested the voltage with the truck off and the pump sits at 11.8 volts running. Bypassing the relay it jumps to 12.5 or so. I don't think wiring is the problem. I ran it both ways. Same issue.

I have a feeling the fuel pressure light sending unit is lying to me. Now I am down to no options except buying a fuel pressure gauge to the tune of $240.00.

On a side note I have most of the wiring and cables buttoned up under the hood. I still need to mount my puke tank and make or buy some battery hold downs.

I should be able to get a fuel pressure gauge ordered Friday morning. Summit should have it on my door Saturday. I really hope this damn sending unit is lying to me.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:09 PM
blue04.5
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As a cheap quick check cant you go pick up a mr gasket fuel pressure gauge, or something similar, the little 1.5 inch gauges for carbed set ups? You're not running much more than 15psi if that are you?
Other than the light coming on, are there any feelings of loss of fuel pressure? I had a fuel pump relay go out on a 95 powerstroke that I converted to electric fuel system, it was running with 0psi, unbeknownst to me at the time, but coming up on hills or anything that put a load on it it would drop power like someone through an anchor out. I went to pull a passing lane hill and kept giving it more throttle with no response and losing speed the whole time, so I quickly pulled over and my bypass regulator gauge was reading 0! So I grabbed some spare wire I had and I bypassed the relay and it ran like a champ. Pulled into the next town and bought a new relay. The best part was no one saw me with the hood up on my ford on the side of the road because it was such a quick fix.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:30 PM
co425
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by blue04.5
As a cheap quick check cant you go pick up a mr gasket fuel pressure gauge, or something similar, the little 1.5 inch gauges for carbed set ups? You're not running much more than 15psi if that are you?
Other than the light coming on, are there any feelings of loss of fuel pressure? I had a fuel pump relay go out on a 95 powerstroke that I converted to electric fuel system, it was running with 0psi, unbeknownst to me at the time, but coming up on hills or anything that put a load on it it would drop power like someone through an anchor out. I went to pull a passing lane hill and kept giving it more throttle with no response and losing speed the whole time, so I quickly pulled over and my bypass regulator gauge was reading 0! So I grabbed some spare wire I had and I bypassed the relay and it ran like a champ. Pulled into the next town and bought a new relay. The best part was no one saw me with the hood up on my ford on the side of the road because it was such a quick fix.
I'd love to run a little cheap guauge but I should be around 30psi at idle. I have bypassed my relay with the same result. She seems to have plenty of power, I've only had her up to about twenty but seems to drive well. She did die on me one time, the light came on so I turned quick and stopped then she died. Light went off I hit the key and she fired right back up so I went right back home. Less then a block. Other then that no issues other then the light. I really don't want to ruin an injection pump if I really do have low fuel pressure.

Quick Reply: Betty turns oil burner