1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Engine swap - '92 Mustang 5.0HO/AOD into '66 F100

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 11:50 PM
37 Ford guy
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill W
not much room in front of the ranger console for a floor shift. i was thinking of doing that myself until i put the console in.
Thanks, Bill! That's also good to know! I also have the '63 Falcon/Comet console, which is much shorter, that I could use if I decided to go that route.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:54 AM
66 ford lover
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To 37 Ford Guy, I am still learning how to upload pics to this site. As soon as I can, I'll post more pics. If you decide to sell the electronic ignition, I would probably be interested.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:26 PM
37 Ford guy
Posting Guru

Well, it was half-price weekend at the local Pickyourpart here in SoCal so I had to go pick up a few things I needed for my swap.

Here's what I got:
-driveshaft from '87 Crown Vic. Since the AOD will supposedly bolt up to the existing trans mount with no mods, I read that the 86-89 Crown Vic driveshaft would be the correct length for my short bed. I picked one up for $15 and I think it's going to be perfect! Yay!

-AC compressor & bracket. The guy I bought the engine & trans from kept the AC compressor & bracket because he has an identical Mustang that didn't come with factory air. My truck doesn't have AC but I either had to install an AC delete bracket or put a compressor on there. Since I may add AC one of these days, I decided to get the compressor and seal it up for now. It will complete the serpentine pulley set up and this compressor & bracket was half as much as the AC Delete kit from Ford Racing!! Of course, if the clutch freezes up I'm screwed!!

-3G alternator from 94/95 Mustang. The '92 engine has a 2G alternator and I've read a few stories that they aren't so good. 3G was recommended so for $12.50 + $5.00 core, I decided to get one with a complete wiring pigtail. I hope it's good!

-Electric fan from '97 Thunderbird. Most sites recommend the electric fan from the '97/98 Mark VIII but they are kinda hard to come by. The Tbird fan is similar in size and cools the 4.6 just fine so I'm guessing it will work well in my truck too.

-fuel accumulator from '90 Bronco. This is the piece that goes between the low pressure fuel pump and the high pressure fuel pump that I already got from a '89 F150 previously. The F150 had duel tanks and the accumulator that came with it wouldn't work for my application. I needed a single tank unit.

-power steering pump & bracket from '90 Mustang GT. I got the original PS pump with my engine but the seller kept the bracket to go with the AC bracket. It was easier to get the whole thing than to separate them in the salvage yard. It was $13.50 for the pump and $4.00 for the bracket so I can't complain too much. LOL!

-I also got a crankshaft pulley & water pump pulley because they were both tweaked a little in the accident.

Now I gotta get all this stuff cleaned up and painted. Time is wasting!!!

Happy Labor Day!!!

Randy

Old 09-03-2012, 09:40 PM
1_ton_bronco
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 37 Ford guy
Well, it was half-price weekend at the local Pickyourpart here in SoCal so I had to go pick up a few things I needed for my swap.

Here's what I got:
-driveshaft from '87 Crown Vic. Since the AOD will supposedly bolt up to the existing trans mount with no mods, I read that the 86-89 Crown Vic driveshaft would be the correct length for my short bed. I picked one up for $15 and I think it's going to be perfect! Yay!

-AC compressor & bracket. The guy I bought the engine & trans from kept the AC compressor & bracket because he has an identical Mustang that didn't come with factory air. My truck doesn't have AC but I either had to install an AC delete bracket or put a compressor on there. Since I may add AC one of these days, I decided to get the compressor and seal it up for now. It will complete the serpentine pulley set up and this compressor & bracket was half as much as the AC Delete kit from Ford Racing!! Of course, if the clutch freezes up I'm screwed!!

-3G alternator from 94/95 Mustang. The '92 engine has a 2G alternator and I've read a few stories that they aren't so good. 3G was recommended so for $12.50 + $5.00 core, I decided to get one with a complete wiring pigtail. I hope it's good!

-Electric fan from '97 Thunderbird. Most sites recommend the electric fan from the '97/98 Mark VIII but they are kinda hard to come by. The Tbird fan is similar in size and cools the 4.6 just fine so I'm guessing it will work well in my truck too.

-fuel accumulator from '90 Bronco. This is the piece that goes between the low pressure fuel pump and the high pressure fuel pump that I already got from a '89 F150 previously. The F150 had duel tanks and the accumulator that came with it wouldn't work for my application. I needed a single tank unit.

-power steering pump & bracket from '90 Mustang GT. I got the original PS pump with my engine but the seller kept the bracket to go with the AC bracket. It was easier to get the whole thing than to separate them in the salvage yard. It was $13.50 for the pump and $4.00 for the bracket so I can't complain too much. LOL!

-I also got a crankshaft pulley & water pump pulley because they were both tweaked a little in the accident.

Now I gotta get all this stuff cleaned up and painted. Time is wasting!!!

Happy Labor Day!!!

Randy
Happy labor day!!
Not a bad price for all those parts..
Could you take a pic of that 3g alt?

Old 09-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 957 Likes on 758 Posts
Originally Posted by 1_ton_bronco
Your wrong on the egr delete.. egr can be completely deleted with a plate and tuner
Sure with a tuner, but why go through all that trouble and expense when the system really isn't that intrusive or untidy and actually helps fuel milage.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:43 PM
37 Ford guy
Posting Guru

Happy labor day!!
Not a bad price for all those parts..
Could you take a pic of that 3g alt?
It basically looks like this: Fuel Injection Technical Library » 3G Install Tech I can shoot an actual pic of mine tomorrow.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:46 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 957 Likes on 758 Posts
I believe the RJM guys say their eliminator will trick the computer into thinking it's still there but it may still throw "soft codes" which won't trigger the check engine light
Yeah that sounds about right, the "eliminator kit" just makes it appear to the computer that the valve is always closed, but the computer will still command the valve to open and when it doesn't it thinks it's broken and codes will be set which may or may not turn on the CE light. But like I said above why bother when there's no real downside to leaving it fully functional.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:50 PM
37 Ford guy
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Conanski
Yeah that sounds about right, the "eliminator kit" just makes it appear to the computer that the valve is always closed, but the computer will still command the valve to open and when it doesn't it thinks it's broken and codes will be set which may or may not turn on the CE light. But like I said above why bother when there's no real downside to leaving it fully functional.
So, does that mean I would still remove the smog pump and all this other crap on the side of the engine but leave the EGR valve & it's various components in tact? This is my first experience with EFI so I can use all the explanation I can get!! LOL! Thanks.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:05 PM
1_ton_bronco
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Conanski
Deleting the egr actually gets less fuel mileage..
but that smog has to go..
i did that on my 93 bronco.. i have seen a big difference in performance without the cats also..
This thing breathes.. It will eat rice and sht chevy

Old 09-04-2012, 08:13 AM
1_ton_bronco
Posting Guru
So, does that mean I would still remove the smog pump and all this other crap on the side of the engine but leave the EGR valve & it's various components in tact? This is my first experience with EFI so I can use all the explanation I can get!! LOL! Thanks.
Yup all those tubes on the left side of the motor except the egr can go.
Then you gotta remove that smog pump from the back.. I didn't remove mine.. I just pulled the pulley off and left the pump there.. gonna take it off eventually
Pain in the as$ to remove.. very hard to get a ratchet back there
Very clean motor for its age with some headers

Old 09-04-2012, 08:28 AM
37 Ford guy
Posting Guru

Yup all those tubes on the left side of the motor except the egr can go.
Then you gotta remove that smog pump from the back.. I didn't remove mine.. I just pulled the pulley off and left the pump there.. gonna take it off eventually
Pain in the as$ to remove.. very hard to get a ratchet back there
Very clean motor for its age with some headers
Actually, I've already taken all this stuff off including the pump & thermactor tube on the back of the heads. It's pretty easy when the motor is out of the vehicle. My intention is to plug the thermactor holes in the back of the heads and get a slightly shorter serpentine belt to bypass the now non-existent smog pump pulley per one of the belt diagrams posted on a previous page.

I will now leave all the EGR stuff in tact. That should be easier anyway since it's already wired into the harness.

I also picked up a nice set of used JBA shorty headers, which may or may not make much difference over the stock ones but they were a good deal.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:39 AM
1_ton_bronco
Posting Guru
Actually, I've already taken all this stuff off including the pump & thermactor tube on the back of the heads. It's pretty easy when the motor is out of the vehicle. My intention is to plug the thermactor holes in the back of the heads and get a slightly shorter serpentine belt to bypass the now non-existent smog pump pulley per one of the belt diagrams posted on a previous page.

I will now leave all the EGR stuff in tact. That should be easier anyway since it's already wired into the harness.

I also picked up a nice set of used JBA shorty headers, which may or may not make much difference over the stock ones but they were a good deal.
I have those freaking tubes at the back of the headswide open.. I gotta plug em before I do some muddin

Old 09-04-2012, 08:44 AM
37 Ford guy
Posting Guru

I have those freaking tubes at the back of the headswide open.. I gotta plug em before I do some muddin
Here ya go....RJM Injection Tech — Thermactor Smog Plugs

Old 09-04-2012, 08:51 AM
1_ton_bronco
Posting Guru
Thanks man.. I appreciate that because I have not been able to find the plugs

Old 09-04-2012, 06:21 PM
37 Ford guy
Posting Guru

Thanks man.. I appreciate that because I have not been able to find the plugs
I think it's basically a course thread 9/16 bolt but most hardware stores don't carry them shorter than 1" which I'm told is too long. I think these are about 1/2" long

Quick Reply: Engine swap - '92 Mustang 5.0HO/AOD into '66 F100