Colorado Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Might move to Colorado

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Gage2502
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Might move to Colorado

Guys I have been wanting to move out of Illinois for a while and Colorado is one state I was thinking of moving to. I was looking at the Colorado Springs, Fountain, Canon City, Castle Rock, any other city's/towns should I consider?
As of right now I would like to rent a place. Looking for a nice town that not that expensive to live in.
Question how much would plates, tax cost for my two trucks.
1 2005 F250 4x4 V10
2 2000 Expedition 4x4 5.4
How are the vehicle insurance rates for Colorado?
Also does any town/city have city stickers for vehicles?
Right now for insurance I am paying about $2grand a year full coverage at State Farm for both trucks.
Thanks for the time and help.
~Gage~

Old 12-11-2011, 10:17 AM
Shawns Fords
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I can tell you that Castle rock or anywhere else in Douglas county is going to be expensive. They have the highest income tax bracket in the state and one of the highest in the US.

As for vehicle registration. I was paying about 350 bucks to register my 06 F150, but im sure its lower since then. I would check the Colorado DMV website to see if they have information on that. It is based on vehicles value. Keep in mind also you will need to get emissions testing if you move within certain areas of the metropolitan region.

Wish I could help you more.

Old 12-25-2011, 03:29 AM
akaFrankCastle
Senior User
Gage,
I'll try and pull up the paperwork from when I tagged my 03 F250 to see what you might expect to pay in COS.

What kind of work you do might heavily influence where you'd want to live as well. I'm in COS, mostly because I'm stationed at Fort Carson. But, having been around a fair amount of the cities along the I-25 corridor, I can't say I'd want to live anywhere further north or south. Definitely like to live a little further west, but job opportunities for my wife are thinner up that way.

Anywhere you live though will be a damn sight better than Illinois though! I'm a Missouri native and I have to tell you, I do NOT miss the humidity one bit.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:53 PM
Gage2502
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks guys still looking at my options. I was wanting to take firefighter tests, but I know thats hard to get into. I might be going back to school for??? As of right now I just have a associate's degree in criminal justice.
~Gage~

Old 07-17-2012, 05:16 PM
96f350az
Senior User
im also interested in moving to colorado. i will do it just on my way to getting things figured out. cureently im a cnc operator and interested in co springs. seems like the tucson of co. i would also be interested in renting to start and see how i like it. how is it there? and whats all that green stuff on the ground? lol

Old 07-17-2012, 08:43 PM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
Wow... now I feel like we are all jumping on the bandwagon, it seems there is a chance my job will transfer me out to the Colorado Springs area, just some details to work out, I am also looking for advice as best areas to live near the Colorado Springs area. We were considering Fountain, or Palmer Lake, or even Monument. What are your opinions, experiences with those areas?

Old 07-18-2012, 02:18 AM
CS79bronco
Senior User
C'mon guys, jump on that bandwagon! It's beautiful, dry, dusty, windy, hot, cold, rainy, snowy, icy, . I love it! Only beautiful lasts more than a day or two, the rest comes & goes. Even 10 or 12 inches of snow usually only lasts a day or two.
The Fountain area(south Springs) is predominately military. You have Ft. Carson, NORAD, & two AF bases on the south end of town. Not all bad, housing costs are a little less, newer housing, but more crime. Lots of soldiers who have pulled several deployments, takes them a while to settle back into a less violent way of life I guess. They have my greatest respect for what they have had to live through, but I wouldn't want a large number of them for neighbors.
Northern part of Colorado Springs is considered most desirable, and still has affordable housing for the working family. School District 20 (zip code 80920)is also considered one of the most desirable school systems in the state. Monument is a nice, growing town, maybe a little more expensive than most of the Springs. Depends on where you have to go to work, too. The commute on I25 from one end of town to the other is a minimum of 1/2 an hour in light traffic. Not very long compared to Denver or other big cities, but still a hassle to me.
Even with the loss of 347 homes, and some others damaged & have to be repaired, there has been no mention of shortage of homes for sale or rent since the big fire here. There are also lots of nice apartments & town homes too. There is tons of info on-line about the area. Check out the local newspaper at :gazette.com or one of the TV stations at : koaa.com.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:08 PM
Gage2502
Fleet Mechanic
Ya Im still in this !@#$%^ so called city Chicago, might go back to school for for Diesel Tech or Heating & A/C....Welding?
~Gage~

Old 07-23-2012, 06:48 AM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
Thank you for your information!