1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Air lift air springs (as opposed to ride rites) - does this sound right?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 08:17 PM
hpcbmw
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Air lift air springs (as opposed to ride rites) - does this sound right?

I purchased Air Lift load lifter 5000 air springs (kit 57390) for my 2000 f250 to lift my sagging rear end when I've got my camper or my fifth wheel on the truck. I chose this brand over ride rite because it was almost $100 less, and I'm cheap.

To install these, you don't bolt the bottom bracket to the truck axle, you bolt the bottom bracket to the cast iron bump stop extension that sticks out about 6". You can see the bump stop extension I'm referring to in the attached picture, just below the red arrow. I borrowed this pic from a write up on installing Ride Rite bags, so the pic shows a Ride Rite bracket surrounding the bump stop extension. The brackets I have bolt ON TOP of this bump stop extension and it serves as the base for the air springs. Is this bump stop strong enough? I'm not loading up alot of weight, but I'm certainly going close to, or a little over, the 8800 lb GVW of the truck.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:42 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
That extra $100 might come and bite ya. I'm not sure how to answer your question but when it comes to air bags I wouldnt skimp. You saved $100? My bags only cost $300 anyway and they are Firestone.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:47 PM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldnt be to keen loading something up like that. The axle should take the weight.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:54 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Also, as you are cheap () here is a $100 rebate for the Air Lift

http://www.airliftcompany.com/air-li...any-100-rebate

Old 08-07-2012, 09:30 AM
hpcbmw
Cross-Country
I had a local RV shop do the install, since my 5th wheel hitch had to be re aligned. The shop guys said they had no issues with the mounting of the air bags and after doing the job, said the mounting was well designed.

And A/O - thanks for the rebate link, I was aware of the rebate and that's part of the great deal I got on these.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:59 AM
GonzoCSU
Senior User
I was looking at AirLift springs also. I talked to Mike at AirLift (username AirLiftCompany on FTE) he mentioned I can use either 57390 or 57215. I am still trying to decide which kit I want to go with. The only thing I didn't like is how the 57390 mounts onto the "anvil" of the block. I guess a mount could be fabricated like the one in the picture you posted.

Other then the mounting how do you like the bags?

Old 08-07-2012, 11:36 AM
AirLiftCompany
SPONSOR
I haven't personally done any load studies on the capabilities of the "anvil" or bumpstop under the leaf pack. What I can tell you is that a majority of the 5th wheel kits we sell for the superduties sit on this perch. Countless people have installed and use these everyday without issue.

If you would like I can look into if we have any statistical or calculated data showing the strength of the block under the leaf pack.

It should be strong enough considering you are giving it more of a static load. It's original design as a bumpstop would see more of a jarring or impact load without replacing it with a bag.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:30 AM
hpcbmw
Cross-Country
I'm pretty disappointed, I've had the air lift springs on less than one month and one already sprung a leak. The air bag is leaking where the brass insert is mounted in the plastic top of the spring. I've contacted SDtrucksprings.com and am waiting to hear back about a replacement. I hope they bench test the replacement spring, so I don't have to go through the install, uninstall again!

Old 10-03-2012, 12:41 AM
AirLiftCompany
SPONSOR
Originally Posted by hpcbmw
I'm pretty disappointed, I've had the air lift springs on less than one month and one already sprung a leak. The air bag is leaking where the brass insert is mounted in the plastic top of the spring. I've contacted SDtrucksprings.com and am waiting to hear back about a replacement. I hope they bench test the replacement spring, so I don't have to go through the install, uninstall again!
Sorry to hear this. You can always give our customer service team a call at 800-248-0892 anytime between 8am-8pm (Eastern Time Zone) Monday through Friday regarding this.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:09 AM
hpcbmw
Cross-Country
I called Airlift and they have great customer service. They said they'd ship me out a new air spring right away. Hopefully I'll have it in a week and can get it back on the truck.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:28 AM
indyF-350psd
you can't fix stupid!
thats not surprising.....ive used air lift in the past and they always had good products and customer service......

Old 10-03-2012, 03:14 PM
AirLiftCompany
SPONSOR
I called Airlift and they have great customer service. They said they'd ship me out a new air spring right away. Hopefully I'll have it in a week and can get it back on the truck.
Awesome! We really pride ourselves on having some of the best customer service out there. Thanks for the good words!

Old 10-03-2012, 11:29 PM
tinker934
Senior User
Air bag

I have the set that goes around the anvil on mine . I also just installed the set that rides on the anvil on the old mans truck this past weekend. I didn't care for how it sits HIGHER. Like its riding the bump stops

Old 03-24-2014, 10:12 PM
hpcbmw
Cross-Country
update on my AirLift air bags - another leak!

I've had these AirLift air bags on my truck since Oct 2012. One failed within a month and I had to pay a shop to remove and reinstall the replacement. In less then 2 years, they failed again! I drive this truck less then 5000 miles per year, and the camper on it only weighs about 1500 lbs, so I'm not wearing them out.

The right side of my truck was sagging so I had a shop check it out. The right side air bag is leaking again. It's a slow leak where the air nipple screws into the air bag- it's actually leaking around the screw insert, so tightening the air nipple or using teflon on the threads won't fix the problem. In looking at my post from Oct 2012, it looks like this is the exact same problem as before.

I'm going to have to pay a shop AGAIN to replace the right side air bag. Whatever money I saved by buying the less expensive AirLift bags has gone to the shop, and then some.

I don't know if AirLift will replace this after 1 1/2 years, but even if they do, I'm leery of paying the shop to replace the airbag, just to have to do it again in a year or two.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:15 AM
AirLiftCompany
SPONSOR
I've had these AirLift air bags on my truck since Oct 2012. One failed within a month and I had to pay a shop to remove and reinstall the replacement. In less then 2 years, they failed again! I drive this truck less then 5000 miles per year, and the camper on it only weighs about 1500 lbs, so I'm not wearing them out.

The right side of my truck was sagging so I had a shop check it out. The right side air bag is leaking again. It's a slow leak where the air nipple screws into the air bag- it's actually leaking around the screw insert, so tightening the air nipple or using teflon on the threads won't fix the problem. In looking at my post from Oct 2012, it looks like this is the exact same problem as before.

I'm going to have to pay a shop AGAIN to replace the right side air bag. Whatever money I saved by buying the less expensive AirLift bags has gone to the shop, and then some.

I don't know if AirLift will replace this after 1 1/2 years, but even if they do, I'm leery of paying the shop to replace the airbag, just to have to do it again in a year or two.

Sorry to hear you have had a couple issues with the Air Lift air bags. I will send you a PM to try and help you out.

Quick Reply: Air lift air springs (as opposed to ride rites) - does this sound right?