6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Looking at an 08 F250

Old 08-06-2012, 04:30 PM
mlsthmpsn
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at an 08 F250

Hello everyone,

I'm going to look at a 2008 F250 tonight. Can some of you guys look through the carfax and let me know if anything jumps out at you....looking for things that should be on there and are or aren't and also any services taht are a red flag. I'm not well versed in the 6.4L engine.

Thanks in advance,

MT

CARFAX Vehicle History Report on 1FTSW21R48EA61124

Old 08-06-2012, 04:39 PM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil changes seem to be really far apart from one another. Vloney or one of the other techs should chime in on here and they may be able to run a more comprehensive report.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:42 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
What I don't see is a coolant flush...

Old 08-06-2012, 06:00 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the oil was probably changed properly, just not always by that dealer or not always listed, like the times it just says "vehicle serviced". Curious about all the battery/electrical checks unless that is something the dealer does to everything every time it is in the shop. I know ours does tires, brakes and a few other things no matter what the vehicle is in for.
The way things like the fuel filters were kept up on I believe it was well maintained. Wouldn't hurt to run a test on the coolant to see what shape it is in since it does seem to be the one thing that hasn't been addressed.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:23 PM
mlsthmpsn
Freshman User
At the dealership now. Truck was owned by the owner of a drilling hydraulic company. He drove it around for all the estimates. Has all his fleet trucks from here for the past 15 years, all serviced here. Truck is in good shape, and has a tuner in the center console.

I'm a bit concerned about a "slight coolant leak" but for the price, I can afford to fix hoses or clamps. What else could the coolant issue be?

Thanks,

MT

Old 08-06-2012, 07:30 PM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
Head gaskets. Not cheap

Old 08-06-2012, 07:33 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Get them to pressurize and diagnos the leak is what I would do.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:44 PM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
Trust me...the coolant flush, regardless of nitrate levels, has to be a huge key. Also, what's with the silver color? It reads like it used to be a different color. Even the DMV noted "Color noted as Silver". Carfax won't show a smashed car.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:51 PM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mlsthmpsn
At the dealership now. Truck was owned by the owner of a drilling hydraulic company. He drove it around for all the estimates. Has all his fleet trucks from here for the past 15 years, all serviced here. Truck is in good shape, and has a tuner in the center console.

I'm a bit concerned about a "slight coolant leak" but for the price, I can afford to fix hoses or clamps. What else could the coolant issue be?

Thanks,

MT

The slight coolant leak could turn out to be a slight radiator leak, thats $1,000+ to replace.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:28 PM
mlsthmpsn
Freshman User
Thanks guys. They are going to put it on the lift in the morning. I told them specifically to pressurize the coolant system to diagnose what the actual issue is. The sales guys said he'd call at 9 so I can talk to the service manager (he does all the previous owner's trucks)

ChargersFan: what do you mean the coolant flush has to be a huge key? Details please.

Thanks again guys.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:02 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Thanks guys. They are going to put it on the lift in the morning. I told them specifically to pressurize the coolant system to diagnose what the actual issue is. The sales guys said he'd call at 9 so I can talk to the service manager (he does all the previous owner's trucks)

ChargersFan: what do you mean the coolant flush has to be a huge key? Details please.

Thanks again guys.
Improperly maintained coolant system means that the chemical makeup is out of balance. Perhaps causing other issues such as cavitation behind the front cover. That is a big concern here.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:49 AM
mlsthmpsn
Freshman User
Originally Posted by senix
Improperly maintained coolant system means that the chemical makeup is out of balance. Perhaps causing other issues such as cavitation behind the front cover. That is a big concern here.
So are you saying a coolant flush will help with these possible issues, or could the damage already be done? Also, would I be able to feel the cavitation? What parts cavitate? How could I check these issues on the truck?

Thanks,

MT

Old 08-07-2012, 11:01 AM
senix
Super Moderator
So are you saying a coolant flush will help with these possible issues, or could the damage already be done? Also, would I be able to feel the cavitation? What parts cavitate? How could I check these issues on the truck?

Thanks,

MT
Doing a flush will not cause any harm but may prevent it. A oil anaylsis is one of the ways to check the condition of the motor.

Coolant loss or oil containation or wet exhaust pipes, blowing white or black smoke are other ways.

Pressure testing of the coolant system is what I would do first and foremost. Watch them do it.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:29 AM
mlsthmpsn
Freshman User
Doing a flush will not cause any harm but may prevent it. A oil anaylsis is one of the ways to check the condition of the motor.
The oil was just changed a few miles ago. How long does it need to run before it shows anything leaking into it? Is Blackstone still a good place to send it?

Pressure testing of the coolant system is what I would do first and foremost. Watch them do it.
And what would I be watching for? I know how to replace parts, but diagnosing things like this is foreign to me.

Are there any other ways to see if cavitation has/is occurring (now that I read a bit about it on the diesel tech pages. I knew impeller/propellar cavitation stuff...didn't know the piping corrosive parts. But I like learning new stuff )

MT

Old 08-07-2012, 12:15 PM
senix
Super Moderator
The oil was just changed a few miles ago. How long does it need to run before it shows anything leaking into it? Is Blackstone still a good place to send it?

And what would I be watching for? I know how to replace parts, but diagnosing things like this is foreign to me.

Are there any other ways to see if cavitation has/is occurring (now that I read a bit about it on the diesel tech pages. I knew impeller/propellar cavitation stuff...didn't know the piping corrosive parts. But I like learning new stuff )

MT
It would show right away on a test drive, hard full throttle acceleration.
what you want to do is verify that they tested the system and it maintained pressure. that is all. Saying they did the test and actually doing it when speaking to the sales floor person is questionable.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking at an 08 F250