Georgia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: ChiefM SPONSORED BY:

August GTG!!! --8/25-- Cool off in the Mtns!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 06:40 PM
JumpinJoe
Mountain Pass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of bringing the fam up to camp and socialize. We went to the last (apparently) Excursion Diversion and had fun meeting good folks. Will look at the campground availability.....

Old 08-15-2012, 08:29 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,895 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by JumpinJoe
Thinking of bringing the fam up to camp and socialize. We went to the last (apparently) Excursion Diversion and had fun meeting good folks. Will look at the campground availability.....
Awesome! My boys are 9 & 12, nieces are 6 & 8 and I think there will be a couple other kids in that age group coming to hang out with us. They will all spend most of their day in the water!

I'm planning to commandeer a spot in the pavilion at the beach so the kiddo's can play in the sand and swim.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:11 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
I just checked with the campground, plenty of sites available for this weekend. No reservation needed, just show up!

It was 52* this morning and high almost 80*. This is PERFECT lake camping weather. We can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-21-2012, 12:16 PM
joeyd61
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe next year
every one have fun
here is to ya

Old 08-21-2012, 02:57 PM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
We were planning on coming ... until our DIL reminded us of our Granddaughters Birthday party. Oh well, maybe next time. We hope everyone has loads of fun. Take plenty of pictures for the rest of us.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:49 PM
Alex from GA
Fleet Mechanic
Pressure washed the truck, changed the oil to go to the get together Saturday and have to cancel. I went fishing with our grandson's other grandfather today and he told me that grandson's birthday party is Saturday. My wife said she told me two weeks ago but I didn't remember. Next time for sure.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:18 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Looks like I'm replacing the diesel fuel pump this morning. It failed to make any pressure when I got home and purged the VO out of the engine last nite. The truck does have almost 360k miles on it now... The beautiful thing about have redundant fuel systems is I can always drive on the other fuel if one system goes ****-up!

Anyway, that won't stop us - but may insure I don't wash the old pig! I'm going to Dawsonville to pick up the 9yr old and one of his friends after school, then we'll finish packing the camper so we can roll out first thing in the morning - we do have a full 15min drive to the campground.

Btw, we'll be making pancakes, eggs and homemade sausage gravy and biscuits for breakfast Sun AM. So come on by if yer campin'!!

How about a roll call? Copy/paste this list and add yourself if yer coming!

1. Jason (skyskijason) and a few kids 7-12yrs old, bringing burgers/etc, sweet tea and fresh, homemade salsa.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:38 AM
Alex from GA
Fleet Mechanic
What time is everyone getting there? I might be able to make it until about 2pm.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:31 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
We are checked in at camp (Site C-4). Gonna run back to the house and grab the ski boat.

It is a GORGEOUS day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-27-2012, 07:52 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
My boys right after breakfast...

I think there is a fish in this pic somewhere. The 9yr old was taking pics... This water is about 12" deep - yes, it is that clear!

Old 08-27-2012, 07:59 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
This is looking back at camp:

Kids exploring a 'distant shoreline'. They like to look for lures and other washed-up 'treasures'... Over 60% of the shoreline on this lake is public land - TVA, Nat'l Forest, State/County parks, etc. There is ALOT that looks like this:

Me and Daisy just chillin' while the boys explore:

Old 08-27-2012, 08:19 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
I took some pics with my new phone, but it must think its smarter than me 'cause I can't get them out. Perhaps I should show the new phone the old phone? Lets see who's so smart then, tough guy!

Old 08-28-2012, 10:59 AM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Where are all the pictures? Why hasn't anyone that attended chimed in with anything? I thought surely we could get a report from more than one person about how it went, who all attended, a few pictures of the trucks, the food, etc. You know, the stuff that those of us who couldn't attend missed, the stuff that will make us want to come more than ever to the next one. Come on everybody.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:17 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Grubbworm
Where are all the pictures? Why hasn't anyone that attended chimed in with anything? I thought surely we could get a report from more than one person about how it went, who all attended, a few pictures of the trucks, the food, etc. You know, the stuff that those of us who couldn't attend missed, the stuff that will make us want to come more than ever to the next one. Come on everybody.
Well, except for me - that is pics of everyone who attended.

As for the food, we made fresh salsa (mostly with stuff from the garden) that included tomatoes, peppers, onions, cilantro, black beans, garbanzos and corn. We ate burgers n dogs for lunch and had meatloaf with baked potatoes and string beans (also from garden) for dinner. Breakfast was homemade sausage gravy n biscuits, pancakes and eggs with some fresh fruit on the side. You'll have to take my word for it though - it tasted better than it would've looked in pics anyway!!! Oh, I didn't drink all the local hooch - but if I do before the next GTG I know where to get more...

We camp at the lake at least once a month, so no problem setting another date and trying to get better attendance! That campground is open year-round and except for the GA Mtn Fair in July and the month of October, we can usually expect to 'walk-in' and get a site. There is a LARGE pavilion with lots of parking near where we like to camp ('C' area) that we can use as well as the pavilion(s) across the road at the beach area.

This area makes a great family destination. Besides feasting like Pharaoh's while fellowshipping with our FTE brothers and sisters and the obvious fun that can be had on this gorgeous lake - there are several waterfalls nearby, short and long hikes, mountain biking, river rafting, zip-lines, antiquing, 'picking' at flea markets, barn sales, etc and even indoor go-carts. Beasely **** is a killer OHV trail that has some of the most extreme rockcrawling in the east (we have a Toyota rockcrawler) and there are a few other OHV areas that are just for bikes, ATV's and UTV's close by as well. We ended up nearby at a friends house Sat after dinner and went thru several dozen boxes of ammo! The zombies wouldn't have had a chance.

Next time I'll make some bacon-wrapped, cheese-stuffed jalapeno's, deep-fried eggplant, onion rings, french fries and some other goodies too.

Y'all say when or I'll just throw another date out there and see who shows up!!!!!

Old 08-28-2012, 10:24 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Btw, the fuel pump wasn't bad - it was just a loose wire. Now if I can just figure out what to do about the loose nut behind the steering wheel...

Quick Reply: August GTG!!! --8/25-- Cool off in the Mtns!