1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550
Old 11-18-2014, 11:45 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Towing and Hauling Guides
Print Wikipost

Installing a trailer hitch.... wiring wise

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 09:37 AM
scooterspal
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Installing a trailer hitch.... wiring wise

Hello to all

Bit the bullet and had my local Ford dealer do the plugs and coils on my 1999 E-350 V-10. I had purchased 10 Accel coils and the correct Motorcraft plugs some months ago but was hesitant about attempting the work for fear of breaking off the plugs.

Anyway, the dealer said they would use my parts no problem so I had them do it. As it turned out the tech took his time and did not break a one. She runs like new now : ). No more power loss, no more bucking.

So now, I'd like to install a heavy-duty DrawTite trailer hitch on the back.

There is a 4-pin flat connector hanging down already but I will need to install the type for trailers with electric brakes. The seven pin I believe is the correct type. They make an adapter with a pigtail for the 4-pin for $20.

Question: Installing the brake controller... they make dozens. Can anyone recommend a model that works well for the Ford van.

Also, is there an electrical connection existing under the dash for these brake controllers already or must I provide that myself?

Any other advice anyone can offer will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 08-01-2012, 11:35 AM
95e150CW
Elder User
For the brake controller: There is a connector inside the van the dash. Its a grey 6-pin connector. You just need a cheap pigtail or adapter. Like This

You need to look under the van, on the drivers side frame rail near the spare tire. You are looking for 2 round 4 pin connectors. One is roughly 'D' shaped and the other is round with 2 pegs sticking out of it. If you see both, then your van is pre-wired for class II trailers (trailer brakes.) You need only get the 7 pin pigtail. Ford has it, but you can get aftermarket units. If you only have the round 4pin, then you are in for some work and will need to run some wires.

Pretty much any brake controller works. I use a Tekonsha prodigy P3, but lots of people like the P2. They are all roughly the same, and should work unless you are hauling triple axle trailers.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:11 PM
scooterspal
Tuned
Thanks for the reply.

I know it has the standard flat 4-pin trailer connector already.

But there needs to be two more connectors to make this work?

If my van does not have both of these connectors in the rear (will check when I get home tonight) would it still have the connector under the dash?

If I have only the D connector then which wires am I needing to run?

Can they make this any more complicated?

Old 08-01-2012, 01:55 PM
95e150CW
Elder User
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...er-wiring.html

I posted some images of an 06, but yours will be substantially similar. The brake controller cable (under the dash) can still be there yet not actually pass through to the back of the van. There are diagrams of the connectors you are looking for. If you do not have 2 connectors (TOTAL) under the van, then you will be running 3 wires from under the driver to the back.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:42 PM
scooterspal
Tuned
Thanks again. These drawings help.

Guess I need to get under there tonight and see what's what.

Will report back in the AM.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:00 PM
jmhoying
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If anyone in interested, I have the 7-pin pigtail from my 1999 E-150 for sale. I removed it to use on my 2008, but they aren't compatible.

Jack

Old 08-02-2012, 06:35 PM
scooterspal
Tuned
OK. Found what looks to be the D connector you spoke of next to the read wheel, driver side. Removed the cap and took this pic. There is a blue, orange, green/black and white wire out the back. The white wire is connected to the chassis. The others run to the front.

I also have the standard flat 4-pin trailer light connector.

Can you tell me where I stand now?

Old 08-02-2012, 10:12 PM
jmhoying
Freshman User
That's just like the connector that was on my 1999. My 2008 is completely different. The 7-pin pigtail that comes from Ford has two connectors on it. One that goes to the connector in your last photo, and one to a the nearby connector that goes to the flat four pigtail.

Here are photos of the pigtail from my 1999 E-150. (for sale)

Connectors http://beta.pbase.com/image/145161396/original.jpg

Complete Pigtail http://beta.pbase.com/image/145161397/original.jpg

Old 08-02-2012, 10:50 PM
95e150CW
Elder User
Follow the flat 4 pin connector and see if it feeds a similar round connector near the first one you found. If it does, you are golden. If not, you will have to pull some more wires. I think you are looking for Blue, Orange and Black on the other connector.

Edit: Double checking your colors, i think you are good to go, those sound like brake, reverse, and batt+. Check for the other round connector.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:27 AM
scooterspal
Tuned
Originally Posted by 95e150CW
Edit: Double checking your colors, i think you are good to go, those sound like brake, reverse, and batt+. Check for the other round connector.
What is the other round connector for? Won't the flat one for the brake and tail lights be all that I need? Is the round one just wired in parallel with the flat and if so I can get what I need from that, correct?

Will look again but did not see anything last night... but it was dark under there.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:30 AM
scooterspal
Tuned
Originally Posted by jmhoying
The 7-pin pigtail that comes from Ford has two connectors on it. One that goes to the connector in your last photo, and one to a the nearby connector that goes to the flat four pigtail.
How long is the cable and what are you asking for it?

Old 08-03-2012, 08:48 AM
95e150CW
Elder User
Originally Posted by scooterspal
What is the other round connector for? Won't the flat one for the brake and tail lights be all that I need? Is the round one just wired in parallel with the flat and if so I can get what I need from that, correct?

Will look again but did not see anything last night... but it was dark under there.
If you don't wanna be cutting up the vans wiring harnesses you should see if you can find the other round connector. If you can, then you just need the 7-pin pigtail and you are good to go. I THINK ford may still sell it even. I popped under one of my vans last night and snagged a pic of the two plugs:

Old 08-03-2012, 08:53 AM
jmhoying
Freshman User
Originally Posted by scooterspal
How long is the cable and what are you asking for it?
The total length is about 50", which is plenty long to mount under the back bumper. I'd like $50.00 for it, including shipping by Priority mail in the U.S. This is about 1/2 of new price. My harness for my 2008 E-350 was $130.00 from Ford.

Jack

Old 09-27-2012, 03:26 AM
ekcdc
New User
7-pin harness

I have a 97 E150 conversion van. The connectors at the LR frame rail look the same and I am interested in purchasing yours. Is the plug the 7-blade standard travel-trailer connector?

Originally Posted by jmhoying
If anyone in interested, I have the 7-pin pigtail from my 1999 E-150 for sale. I removed it to use on my 2008, but they aren't compatible.

Jack

Old 09-27-2012, 06:42 AM
jmhoying
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ekcdc
I have a 97 E150 conversion van. The connectors at the LR frame rail look the same and I am interested in purchasing yours. Is the plug the 7-blade standard travel-trailer connector?
Yes, it's the standard 7 blade. Email me at jack at hoying.net and we'll talk.

Quick Reply: Installing a trailer hitch.... wiring wise