1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Adding AC to 1950 F1 Flathead

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 09:14 PM
1950F1WNC
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding AC to 1950 F1 Flathead

Hey guys, I'm new to the show here, but have been reading the various threads for months. I am in the process of putting my 1950 F1 back togeother. Looking to add AC to the truck, but concerned about the old Flathead overheating. The past 6 months I have been driving the truck around town without any issues. Just wondering if I need to add electric fan to the system. Looking at purchasing the Southern Air Superfrost Kit from Southern Rods and Parts. Any tips would be much appreciated. Adam

Old 07-31-2012, 10:18 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I can't offer any info about the A/C, but I will say Welcome!

Got any pics of your truck?

Old 07-31-2012, 11:10 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Welcome!

Adding a compressor to a flathead generally means some kind of serpentine belt system for everything on the engine, you can guess it's not cheap. But it can be done without, just not easy. (The one on the left looks certain to break the end of the manifold off) A viable alternative may be in the wings tho, electric motor-driven compressors. You'd for sure need an alternator to drive one, but they can be mounted pretty much anywhere, and no belts needed. Alternators are easy by comparison.

If you have a good radiator (clean), and the block cooling system is clean, the truck fan should be adequate to cool it with A/C, but for sure you'll want to have the shroud in place.

Attached Images   
Old 07-31-2012, 11:15 PM
fixnair
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, welcome to this forum. Lots of info here by some really smart ppl. I'm in the process of building a '52 F1 with a flathead V8 and am intersted in this thread.

Last edited by fixnair; 07-31-2012 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Changed opinion
Old 07-31-2012, 11:19 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Here's the Electric A/C, looks a lot simpler, doesn't it? Hmmmm....

DENSO Automotive OEM Products

Old 07-31-2012, 11:20 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76f350spercamprspeal

Welcome to FTE, Best Damn Forum EVER!
------------------------
Here's How to Post Pictures:
1. Login to FTE.
2.Click User CP (In the Top Left Hand Corner)
3.(On the Left, There will be a list, The 5th Option Down, will say "Pictures & Albums) Click That.
4.Then, Click Add Album, Enter a title, and description, if ya want to.
5. Click Upload Pictures, Then click Browse, Locate the Files of your truck. (You can add 3 files at a time)
5. Click Upload.
6. Add a description to the individual pictures, then click save.
7. Add more files if ya want.
8. Click The Picture you want to post, it will give you two codes at the bottom, Right Click The Second one (It say's BB Code, Then Say's [IMG]http:blahblahblah...[/IMG])
Then, Once that is highlighted, Right Click, Then Copy, Then Paste it into your post.
You can add up to 30 Images in one FTE Post.
If, Ya need any help, Don't hesitate to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_dan

You can also go to the "Garage" tab and start an album right here on FTE. After you post pictures to an album, we can look in your album, but you'll also be able to "insert a picture" by pasting in a link to the picture in your album.

It seems awkward, but whenever you "insert a picture" to one of these threads, the forum is looking for the picture somewhere on the web (which is always available) rather than from somewhere on your hard drive (which isn't always available).

Quote:
Originally Posted By Jolly Roger Joe

Welcome to FTE!

Go to Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket and sign up for a free account. Then create an album for your truck. Upload any pics you want to post on FTE to that album. Have this album open on your computer when you want to post pics on FTE.

While you're making a post on FTE, select the pic you want to post from your Photobucket album. When the large version of the pic is open, right mouse click on it and select "View Image Info". The image info will be highlighted and will look something like this:
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/l...ghtsafter1.jpg

Copy that highlighted info (right click / copy).

When you have the spot in your post where you want the pic to be placed, select the "Insert Image" icon at the top of the post (looks like a mountain) and paste (right click / paste) the image info you copied in the highlighted box (just shows "http://" when it opens).

Old 08-02-2012, 08:40 PM
1950F1WNC
New User
Hey guys thank you all for the info. The truck is converted to 12 volt, with a new 1 wire alternator. I purchased a new radiator from LMC when I first bought the truck. Looking back now, I hope it is heavy duty enough. How efficient is the all AC electric system and what is the cost??? Right now I am leaning to adding the Superfrost Kit with a hard wired electric fan in addition to the truck fan to help cool the radiator. This is a great site and I know you all are full of wonderful knowledge. I will be posting pics soon. Anyone have an extra set (good shape) of hood hinges and springs for 1950 F1??

Old 08-02-2012, 08:45 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
We are full of something that's for sure.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:17 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
If you read that article, you see electric AC can be very efficient, but not all of them are 12v. They draw a lot of power, the power cables for a 12v type are like battery cables. Most are used on hybrids at this point. They may start to show up in boneyards, or you can do a websearch to see if they are being sold new yet.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:29 PM
1950F1WNC
New User
Thank you for the info. I will check into this.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:42 AM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
I don't like the flathead A/C mounts that place the compressor at the top of the intake. I have seen a very nice compressor installation using the front belt that runs the fan. The back belt for the pumps and generator stays the same. The compressor is added using the bottom row of head bolts and an exhaust manifold stud to mount the bracket. The pulley is placed in line with the fan pulley. The front fan belt then runs from the crank pulley to the fan to the compressor and back to the crank pulley. The compressor is mounted with no adjustment and the stock fan adjustment is all you need. The installation I saw was on the passenger side with the compressor below the distributor, but I see no reason to prevent mounting the compressor on the driver's side.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:05 PM
1950F1WNC
New User
Thanks 38 Coupe, I like the setup you have described. When we begin the installation of the unit I will refer back to your post.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:40 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Here's the Electric A/C, looks a lot simpler, doesn't it? Hmmmm....

DENSO Automotive OEM Products
I like that Denso electric compressor Ross. That would solve a lot of problems.

The Integrated Starter Generator would be great too but you would have to change to a serpentine belt. Still it would give you quiet starts and save weight. If you thought on it you could also fix it so that it would shut the engine off when stopped saving fuel and perhaps making the cooling system work less hard. It's designed to work with a V6 but with a flathead's low compression it would probably work with that V8 . . . or even an I6.

Sorry, just rambling day dreams from my darkside . . .

Old 08-06-2012, 08:51 PM
scott0531
Junior User
How much is the Denso electric compressor and has any one used it on a flathead it a f1 truck

Old 08-07-2012, 12:01 AM
fixnair
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just a guess but I'll bet they require 48 to 96 volts. The elevated voltage will require smaller cabling.

Quick Reply: Adding AC to 1950 F1 Flathead