2011 to 2019 Explorer Discuss the 2011 to 2019 Explorer

Anyone NOT happy with your new Explorer?

Old 02-21-2012, 06:29 PM
BigBadBob
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone NOT happy with your new Explorer?

I just purchased a 2012 Explorer on Saturday and while I did do a little bit of research before committing myself, I can't help but to read all the negative reviews out there, expecially from Motor Trend. Most are from customers and are not really professional reviews, but nontheless they are from everyday folks like you and me. I've read everything from bad handling characteristics, not enough room in the 2nd and 3rd row for adults, hard to get into due to the way doors open, sluggish power with the ecoboost, and of course the number one complaint, the Sync and MyFord touch display being too difficult to operate. Some say it does not work at all and suggest that Ford needs to re-do the entire system instead of applying updates that only worsen the problem. I have not driven it much since my wife is the primary driver, but I can tell you it handles very well and the ride quality is excellent, a very smooth ride. I love the new design overall. Interrior is simply beautiful (mine has the black leather). I sort of don't like the fact that you no longer have access to the rear glass, you have to lift the entire liftgate to place items inside. We downsized from an 07 Ford Expedition 4x4that was very horrible on gas mileage as you can imagine. I am taking my new explorer to the dealer tomorrow to upgrade the sync and myford touch. Apparently, the latest fuel prices and movies times is wrong. It's 2 months behind. The other issue is that each time an incoming text message comes in, my wife deletes the message, but it will pop back on the screen as a new message. It did this yesterday several times, it was very annoying. Hopefully this issue will be fixed tomorrow.

Has anyone had any other issues with their new Explorer, besides the problems with the MyFord Touch?

Old 02-25-2012, 07:54 PM
fz1dave
Super Duty
I hope to hear some truthful experiences on the downsides no matter how painful they may be to reveal, as we're considering trading in the Mountaineer for a new Explorer ourselves.

I know it's never fun to admit a problem with a new vehicle but the info is useful.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:22 PM
BigBadBob
Junior User
Being this is a Ford forum, maybe I should have asked, "Is there certain features on the new Explorer that you DO NOT like?"

I tell you what, I've been driving my new Explorer (or should I say, my wife's Explorer) for the last 3 days, it is the most awesome driving experience. I am very impressed. As I mentioned before, the handling is great, ride quality is excellent. Me and my wife have actually been arguing over who's turn it is to drive. Anyone considring buying one, I say take a look at it first. Take your time at the dealership and don't let the salesman pressure you. Sit down in the 2nd row, judge for yourselves. I'm about 5"10 and I can tell you I am very comfortable in the 2nd row. Now the 3rd row is slightly tighter, but I can still sit down, although with my legs slightly at an angle. Ford updated my Ford Sync and everything works. Only problem is, old text messages keep popping up although my wife deletes them from her phone. Dealer says the phone is probably not compatible with sync system. I do admit it's a cheap Samsung phone, which is not even a smartphone. Were are due for phone upgrade, so maybe a new one will fix the issue. We have already been getting compliments from family and friends that like the new redesigned body style. I will also admit that I was not too thrilled about driving a front wheel drive SUV. You know what, who cares now. I'm just enjoying it for everything I mentioned before. So far we've been getting about 20 mpg city driving. That's a huge improvement over our 07 Expedition 4x4. I think folks really need to look at the positive features and not focus so much on the negative. I honestly think this whole new Explorer crossover or suv, whatever you want to call it, is here to stay.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:41 PM
wilkinda
Freshman User
We have had our new 2012 Explorer Limited (build 12/15/2011) and besides a few hiccups with the MFT system we are very impressed with this vehicle...

Old 03-03-2012, 08:44 PM
cparks
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
We bought one of the first 2011 Explorers on the lot last year, in fact it has been exactly 1 year. We absolutely love it. My wife drives it mostly. Dislikes, the Microsoft Sync system could be better, but I guess I am comparing to my iPhone and iPad. Sometimes it is hard for the system to understand us. I added the plug and play remote start for Christmas, and my wife really likes that. Only other thing we have had is a tire go low, which the tire store fixed up, but I guess I can't blame Ford for that, unless they put the nail on the road she ran over. But the tire pressure monitoring system did its job.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:56 AM
77_150
Junior User

We bought our XLT at the end of the summer and have been overall very pleased. The electronics (mysync and mytouch) can be a challenge - mine needs to be re-booted every now and again. Sometimes the backup camera will not come on when placed into reverse. The system spends forever syncing a phone that is not present. These are all pretty much issues that will/can be resolved with a software/firmware upgrade and Ford has that planned. There is a new update to the entire system and your dealer can do it or you can request Ford send a USB update.

As far as non "computer" issues - we have 11k miles on it and the vehicle has been wonderful. The ride is great, the interior is well appointed and I am 6'0'' and the middle seats are plenty roomy enough. The 3rd row not so much, but I will not likely ever ride back there anyways.

One thing I did do was to purchase a Husky liner for the back to protect the carpet. Means that you loose the 3rd seat when it is in, but I am ok with that since it is just the wife and me.

Overall our Explorer has been wonderful and I am happy that I was able to buy "American" again

Old 04-15-2012, 06:50 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,217 Likes on 800 Posts
Reviews have to be taken with a grain of salt. Some folks just won't be satisfied. If one is considering spending that kind of money of a new vehicle purchase and you have concerns, it's very important to convince the dealer to let you have it overnight.

The only bad reviews that I've actually read about any Ford right now are focused around the MFT system. I'm not super impressed with it in my F-150 but overall the truck is flawless. MFT isn't enough reason to bash the entire vehicle, though some may disagree.

It pleases me to no end to read of all of your pleasurable experiences with your new Explorers. I think Ford made too many technological advances too fast across the product line but they seem to be recovering pretty good.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:13 PM
Rush117
Senior User
I ordered a 2013 Explorer at the beginning of March and have had it for a week. I have to say that it is the most impressive car I have ever owned. I opted for the EcoBoost and I am somewhat disappointed in the gas mileage but with only about 400 miles on it, I'm sure it will improve as it breaks in.

The Sync system is fantastic. I'm not sure how anyone could think that it is too complicated. My wife is not very technologically oriented and she can make it work with no problems. With all of the automation including adaptive cruise control, lane keeper assist, and collision warning, my only concern is getting so lazy that I'll start plowing over Priuses (Priusi?) with my F-350 thinking it will automatically slow down in traffic.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:21 AM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
The thing that bothers me the most is that the menus seem to reset them back to default settings. I have to keep going into the menu and putting them back to where I like them. The menus I am talking about are the one's on the left, mainly the fuel mileage and the trip odometers. But my wife drives the truck 98% of the time and she does not care, so it's not that big a deal. Other then that we love the Explorer.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:18 PM
bamacommander
Senior User
I like my 2013 V6 FWD XLT. The ride is good, it's quiet on the road, and the handling is very secure. This SUV is very solid and feels safe. It is very comfortable on long and short trips. On top of all this, the gas mileage has been great. I get between 20 to 21 in the city and 24 to 25 plus on the highway. Not bad for a 4,600 lb vehicle. The MFT has worked fine and continues to amaze me as to everything it can do. I would highly recommend this vehicle to anyone. If you buy one I would get the V6, it is quick and the mileage is about the same as the Ecoboost.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:44 AM
enphluence
Freshman User
2013 Explorer Xlt

I recently purchased a 2013 FWD 3.5 Explorer.

I really enjoy the vehicle. Its very comfortable, the leather is a step up from the older leather they used. I traded in a 2005 limited expy due to gas mileage. This car gets wonderful mileage, very happy with that.

The ride overall is smooth, mine came with 20" wheels and it is still a nice quiet, smooth ride. You definitely have to enter and exit driveways a bit slow, it just seems hard on the suspension (not that Im flying in or out, but go slow).

There seems to be enough room I have myself, wife and 3 kids (2 of which are in car seats)

My only real gripe is that I don't have memory in my drivers seat. My wife and I both drive the car...well you get the point. I have been looking into the memory module, door lock/123 switch, and speaker grill where the switch goes that should make it much easier (just hope the harness is there...lol)

Hope that helped

Old 07-20-2012, 05:31 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,217 Likes on 800 Posts
Originally Posted by enphluence
I recently purchased a 2013 FWD 3.5 Explorer.

I really enjoy the vehicle. Its very comfortable, the leather is a step up from the older leather they used. I traded in a 2005 limited expy due to gas mileage. This car gets wonderful mileage, very happy with that.

The ride overall is smooth, mine came with 20" wheels and it is still a nice quiet, smooth ride. You definitely have to enter and exit driveways a bit slow, it just seems hard on the suspension (not that Im flying in or out, but go slow).

There seems to be enough room I have myself, wife and 3 kids (2 of which are in car seats)

My only real gripe is that I don't have memory in my drivers seat. My wife and I both drive the car...well you get the point. I have been looking into the memory module, door lock/123 switch, and speaker grill where the switch goes that should make it much easier (just hope the harness is there...lol)

Hope that helped
I want to hear more about the 3.5L. I'll bet this little motor brought the Explorer back to life!

Old 07-20-2012, 07:30 AM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
I have the 3.5 2wd. I think the motor is a little doggie from a stop, but seems to have plenty of power while driving on the expressway. If driving in the city and you need some passing power, it's there but the transmission is a little on the slow side downshifting. Overall I think the motor is ok for this truck, just needing a little more at takeoff. MPG's are ok, I am getting 16-18 in the city and around 22 on the highway, not much different between the 2. Was thinking 25 would have been possible, but no matter how easy I drive I can't get there. I like the truck overall and my wife loves it. It's a perfect car for a woman that does not care about performance.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:02 PM
enphluence
Freshman User
3.5L

I agree with being a bit doggie on the start...it seems to either get too much air or lack fuel, but once pass that it is fine. The freeway passing gear is excellent (this coming from a 5.4 Expy which had plently of power). However this is probably something a programmable chip and tuning could solve. I really enjoy the car itself.

As for the trans, I heard something of the electronics and a reason behind that last downshift before coming to a stop, but cannot remember what it is....but I do know what you are referring to.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:11 PM
Beechkid
Received 207 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBadBob
I just purchased a 2012 Explorer on Saturday and while I did do a little bit of research before committing myself, I can't help but to read all the negative reviews out there, expecially from Motor Trend. Most are from customers and are not really professional reviews, but nontheless they are from everyday folks like you and me. I've read everything from bad handling characteristics, not enough room in the 2nd and 3rd row for adults, hard to get into due to the way doors open, sluggish power with the ecoboost, and of course the number one complaint, the Sync and MyFord touch display being too difficult to operate. Some say it does not work at all and suggest that Ford needs to re-do the entire system instead of applying updates that only worsen the problem. I have not driven it much since my wife is the primary driver, but I can tell you it handles very well and the ride quality is excellent, a very smooth ride. I love the new design overall. Interrior is simply beautiful (mine has the black leather). I sort of don't like the fact that you no longer have access to the rear glass, you have to lift the entire liftgate to place items inside. We downsized from an 07 Ford Expedition 4x4that was very horrible on gas mileage as you can imagine. I am taking my new explorer to the dealer tomorrow to upgrade the sync and myford touch. Apparently, the latest fuel prices and movies times is wrong. It's 2 months behind. The other issue is that each time an incoming text message comes in, my wife deletes the message, but it will pop back on the screen as a new message. It did this yesterday several times, it was very annoying. Hopefully this issue will be fixed tomorrow.

Has anyone had any other issues with their new Explorer, besides the problems with the MyFord Touch?
Personally I put very little faith in what the automotive mags publish...it is mostly bought & paid by the mfg's......if you check out the new Hot Rod magazine, it is nothing but one continuous ad from start to finish written up to look like journalism.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone NOT happy with your new Explorer?